Old TV programmes

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
KitsuHitsuyy

Re: Old TV programmes

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

Nimbus wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:21 am Just before BZ folded I started sharing a few old TV programmes which seemed to be well received. These are from the early 80's onwards, recorded on VHS tapes so the quality isn't great at times. However, it's better than nothing and some of them are quite obscure. This one is a South Bank Show from 1986 called 'The Dream is Over'. You could call it 'Plastic Ono Band - The Ballet'. It features Lennon songs set to dance, along with clips and interview snippets of the Beatles and Lennon. It's different !

https://tinyurl.com/32azk44m
Never heard of that, must be really rare, thanks! Share more when possible!
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!
C90

Post by C90 »

Nimbus wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am Back to 1984 now for a South Bank Show - featuring Paul's 'Broad Street'. My VHS copy was missing the first 20 seconds and last 4 minutes so I've tagged on a copy from an alternative source. You'll notice the clumsy edits and a watermark on the end bit. The quality isn't bad, considering it's nearly 40 years ago. As always, if there are better sources elsewhere then do let us know.

https://tinyurl.com/2byty3em
This is great - another South Bank show I remember watching and had forgotten about. It's like the Nimbus 1980s time machine - for your next trick, please can you magic up some full sized 'Marathon' bars, Kelloggs Special K like it used to be, and some cans of Holsten Pils... :mrgreen: (I'm on a health kick)
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

Nimbus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am "All Together Now" 1995 (Granada TV - 30 minutes) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6018024/

This was a trailer for the upcoming Anthology series. It consists mainly of 'Celebrities recalling their earliest and fondest memories of the Beatles'
Also includes the UK premieres of Free As a Bird & Real Love

https://tinyurl.com/3dw2jbc2

George's slide guitar work on these two tracks still chills me.
May you please re-up this one?

Thanks in advance!
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

C90 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:32 pm This is great - another South Bank show I remember watching and had forgotten about. It's like the Nimbus 1980s time machine - for your next trick, please can you magic up some full sized 'Marathon' bars, Kelloggs Special K like it used to be, and some cans of Holsten Pils... :mrgreen: (I'm on a health kick)
No problem. Here's one of my favourites. 'The Early Beatles' from Granada TV. Some say it's from 1984 but the year on the end of the programme is MCMLXXXII, so who knows. I can't be 100% sure that this is my original VHS copy or a version I've picked up from someone else. I've compared the ad breaks frame by frame and it seems that this is different than others so it could be mine. Either way, you can't have too much of a good thing and there could be folks here who have not seen it before. Enjoy

https://tinyurl.com/4dzr9v7p

I'll re-up 'All Together Now' when one of the others expires in a few days.

PS. You're right about Special K - I thought it was just me :D
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

Thanks a lot! I live in a midle of nowhere town in Argentina and I remember beng amazed that the only record store had Standing Stone when 90% of that store was shit like Back street boys Ricky martin and cumbia (if you never heard this word, don't google it, I warn you)
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Nimbus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 am
C90 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:32 pm This is great - another South Bank show I remember watching and had forgotten about. It's like the Nimbus 1980s time machine - for your next trick, please can you magic up some full sized 'Marathon' bars, Kelloggs Special K like it used to be, and some cans of Holsten Pils... :mrgreen: (I'm on a health kick)
No problem. Here's one of my favourites. 'The Early Beatles' from Granada TV. Some say it's from 1984 but the year on the end of the programme is MCMLXXXII, so who knows. I can't be 100% sure that this is my original VHS copy or a version I've picked up from someone else. I've compared the ad breaks frame by frame and it seems that this is different than others so it could be mine. Either way, you can't have too much of a good thing and there could be folks here who have not seen it before. Enjoy

The Early Beatles is definitely from 1984. It was broadcast over the Christmas period. I remember that it missed the originaly planned air date. I never found out why. A date was publicised and I was waiting with my VHS to record it and it never came on. It actually appeared a few days later. Maybe they were waiting for approval from one of the Beatles or a better source for one of the clips turned up and they delayed it so they could re-edit it? Anyone know?

Having looked at your file it looks like the version I taped frrom the TV as a 14 year old. I sent my VHS off to the other side of the world to Hobnail so he could transfer it to DVD properly for his 'Hobs, Apes & Jones' series. I don't know how he did it but he made the DVD look better than my original, off air VHS!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

I seem to remember taping this around January for some reason. So Jan 1984 seems about right. Love the Hobs Apes and Jones stuff. Some nice upgrades on there!
beatlesaint

Post by beatlesaint »

harrythebannister wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am I seem to remember taping this around January for some reason. So Jan 1984 seems about right. Love the Hobs Apes and Jones stuff. Some nice upgrades on there!
Yes it was definitely January 1984 when ITV first showed it.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Nimbus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 amHere's one of my favourites. 'The Early Beatles' from Granada TV. Some say it's from 1984 but the year on the end of the programme is MCMLXXXII, so who knows. I can't be 100% sure that this is my original VHS copy or a version I've picked up from someone else. I've compared the ad breaks frame by frame and it seems that this is different than others so it could be mine. Either way, you can't have too much of a good thing and there could be folks here who have not seen it before. Enjoy

Thank you for this. Back in the late 80s, I bought this and a boot VHS tape of LET IT BE through the mail off a Beatlefan ad. The quality of both tapes I received was absolutely horrible. They must've been many generations removed from the master tapes. Plus they were expensive. So expensive that I swore off boot video collecting until the HMCs came along a few years ago.

I just gave your share a peek though, and the quality seems very good. Had even one of those VHS tapes I got decades ago been as good, I probably would've been a video collector all my life.
C90

Post by C90 »

I remember watching this programme too. It was the first time I'd seen the 'Some Other Guy' footage - I had no idea it even existed. I'd seen photos galore from the Cavern, but this was so astonishing and exciting - it was like the Cavern photos 'brought to life'.
I recorded it onto VHS and was so entranced, later on I even took some still photos of the Cavern bit on the TV screen as I played it back!
Of course, since then there's been upgrades and re-edits and audio tweaks and all sorts, but this was such a fantastic programme at the time.
The sequence with Ken Dodd is good, too, although edited a bit here - the full appearance is 'out there'
I got the Hobs/Apes/Jones version when it appeared a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting it - thanks Mark, for getting that in motion. Nice to hear the back story about literally mailing your VHS off... :D