Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Thanks to Meet The Beatles For Real (An online Beatles fan club for and about Beatle fans) :

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Sn00ker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 pm The one maybe impossible. Quite distinctive brickwork and "inn" above the door.
Nice one Fl. I reckon it's likely to be here. The brickwork is quite distinctive, but can't get it to exactly match. Probably been altered over the years.
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (984.41 KiB) Viewed 979 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I reckon it's likely to be here. The brickwork is quite distinctive, but can't get it to exactly match. Probably been altered over the years
I guess you're right; the pattern of the bricks match and also the position of drainpipe and even a 'thickening' .....

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I mistook the 'white' behind the word 'INN' for the sky; but it's just the wall of the second floor and you can spot awning rods ( a canopy above the entrance ). I think the drawing proofs it's the right spot as Sn00ker already hinted.

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Excellent! I didn't think we'd ever locate this one!
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

tunbridge wells:
Those Ashburton locations must be the most eagle-eyed yet. Well spotted.
The one that has been bothering me recently is this.
mmt72.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 903 times
A bit of a big ask....it could be anywhere, and I can't find it

Pro: There is a parking zone, the front of the house corresponds and is on the route in the right direction. The bricks used for the porch seems to match.

Doubtful: the bay windows on the still seems to have an angle while Google gives a more circulair window ( also it's difficult to count the window frames) . The front door is different and the distance house/ bus seems to close but it's perhaps distorted through the lens.
It's complicated to compare because the film still gives only a small part of the building and Google give a picture that's some 50 years later.

fl.
AdamBound

Post by AdamBound »

This thread continues to be one of the best on the site. Thank you all! :D
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Amazing work Fl. I reckon this is the location. The house appears on the old maps. Looks very much like it was a small bungalow in 1967 and has been extensively extended. It's not far from the last location with Lennon in the process of nodding off. Also looks like they've come away slightly from the direct route and headed towards Yeovil for some reason. Maybe someone was suffering after the fish and chips.
tunbridge wells

Post by tunbridge wells »

mmt72.jpg
mmt72.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 544 times
That find is a possibility, and I think the window gables look less curved here and more like the ones in the original photo. I would say it was a definite one except for two reasons.
The first is that, in the original, we see a diagonal path from left to right and what appear to be steps down, so that the house is below the level of the garden, as if you're looking slightly downhill, whereas this house is very clearly above the road level. Secondly, the house also looks closer to the bus than would be possible to get this angle - it would probably need to be parked on what is now the lawn, or very tightly onto the little grass verge, and on the "wrong" side of the road, which would be unlikely given that there is a layby exactly opposite. It's a shame we can't get any pictures older than 2009. It looks like the right house - everything about its appearance would suggest so - but frustratingly not in quite the right place.
Attachments
mmt150.png
mmt150.png (980.6 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

tunbridge wells wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:16 pm mmt72.jpg

That find is a possibility, and I think the window gables look less curved here and more like the ones in the original photo. I would say it was a definite one except for two reasons.
The first is that, in the original, we see a diagonal path from left to right and what appear to be steps down, so that the house is below the level of the garden, as if you're looking slightly downhill, whereas this house is very clearly above the road level. Secondly, the house also looks closer to the bus than would be possible to get this angle - it would probably need to be parked on what is now the lawn, or very tightly onto the little grass verge, and on the "wrong" side of the road, which would be unlikely given that there is a layby exactly opposite. It's a shame we can't get any pictures older than 2009. It looks like the right house - everything about its appearance would suggest so - but frustratingly not in quite the right place.
All good points Tunbridge, maybe I'm being a bit keen.
Although the foreshortening effect of the film camera could mean that the bus is on the correct side of the road, but the road is below the bottom edge of the bus window. The front garden of the bungalow looks like it's been completed relayed and a driveway added.
As you say an older photo would be a great help.