Yellow Dog Question

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
20YearsAgo

Re: Yellow Dog Question

Post by 20YearsAgo »

spinalcrackerbox_76 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:41 pm This is where we as collectors need to make a decision, imho: Do you collect the labels (and let them dictate what you end up with) or do you collect the material in its most complete & updated form?

As life's too short, I decided to go with the latter, have ditched the Yellow Dogs & others and gone for the best available versions, which in case of the Get Back sessions is the New Blue Soap series.
Why not both? Hard Discs are plentiful enough and, for the most part, inexpensive. New Blue Soap certainly sounds better than the old Yellow Dogs & Purple Chicks but because it's a processed stereoization of Nagras that were otherwise presented fairly well elsewhere, I'd keep both. At some point, we're bound to discover better stereoization and remastering processes and technologies and computer programs that'll render the New Blue Soaps obsolete. We're going to need the raw Nagras, ultimately, if only to be able to take full advantage of what new technologies might offer us in the future.

Also though... I'm hesitant to delete ANYTHING. Sooner or later, someone's going to discover a flaw in New Blue Soap (and/or subsequent upgrades) that's going to have us all rushing back to the raw sources.
yellowfog

Post by yellowfog »

Many thanks for sharing, Phil_Lip. I've never owned the original YD CD and don't think I've ever seen a secure EAC/XLD rip of this title, but every download I've come across, including this one, looks like this:

Does this mean that Yellow Dog compiled their CD using lossy sources? :?:
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

20YearsAgo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:59 pm Why not both? Hard Discs are plentiful enough and, for the most part, inexpensive. New Blue Soap certainly sounds better than the old Yellow Dogs & Purple Chicks but because it's a processed stereoization of Nagras that were otherwise presented fairly well elsewhere, I'd keep both. At some point, we're bound to discover better stereoization and remastering processes and technologies and computer programs that'll render the New Blue Soaps obsolete. We're going to need the raw Nagras, ultimately, if only to be able to take full advantage of what new technologies might offer us in the future.

Also though... I'm hesitant to delete ANYTHING. Sooner or later, someone's going to discover a flaw in New Blue Soap (and/or subsequent upgrades) that's going to have us all rushing back to the raw sources.
Plus keeping original sources is as valuable as the work they produce.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

yellowfog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:18 pm Does this mean that Yellow Dog compiled their CD using lossy sources? :?:
I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer this better, but my understanding is that yes, at some point I believe they were transferred to MiniDisc from the original Nagra tapes and these are the source for the boots.

http://fab4yerblog.blogspot.com/2009/09 ... reels.html
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

A lot of Yellow Dog's stuff is sourced from Minidisc. It was a popular format at one time. I think the compression was pretty good though, not like a low bitrate mp3.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Thanks, Maul - I have the fan version already. Appreciate the offer!
maul wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:55 pm
paulramon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:51 pm And that being said, can anyone help with YD079? I thought I had a silver copy somewhere, but can't seem to locate it, and my cd-r is hosed.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Dan
I can't find the original YD, if you want I have the fan-expanded version of 2016
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Thanks, Phil_Lip! Very very much appreciated!

Phil_Lip wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:25 am
paulramon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:47 pm What do people think? Should we ask for things we're looking for and then communicate via PM?
No, I think an open link is okay so long as it's not there forever and doesn't have like 500 albums in it. On BZ time proved that the best system was for people to ask (which required them to sign up), and someone to respond with a link which would be there for a short time and then either expire or be switched off.

Speaking of which, where is MR.P?! King of the re-uppers! :lol:
I was one of those that had compiled label collections and provided links, I thought it was a good thing to do at the time.
I became increasingly worried for the reasons you state so I agree, I think now it is better to put short-term links up.

Here is YD079 - hxxps://we.tl/t-4fOwrzX3au
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Agree... At this point hard discs are cheap and cloud storage is getting cheaper and cheaper.
20YearsAgo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:59 pm
spinalcrackerbox_76 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:41 pm This is where we as collectors need to make a decision, imho: Do you collect the labels (and let them dictate what you end up with) or do you collect the material in its most complete & updated form?

As life's too short, I decided to go with the latter, have ditched the Yellow Dogs & others and gone for the best available versions, which in case of the Get Back sessions is the New Blue Soap series.
Why not both? Hard Discs are plentiful enough and, for the most part, inexpensive. New Blue Soap certainly sounds better than the old Yellow Dogs & Purple Chicks but because it's a processed stereoization of Nagras that were otherwise presented fairly well elsewhere, I'd keep both. At some point, we're bound to discover better stereoization and remastering processes and technologies and computer programs that'll render the New Blue Soaps obsolete. We're going to need the raw Nagras, ultimately, if only to be able to take full advantage of what new technologies might offer us in the future.

spinalcrackerbox_76

Post by spinalcrackerbox_76 »

20YearsAgo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:59 pm
Why not both? Hard Discs are plentiful enough and, for the most part, inexpensive. New Blue Soap certainly sounds better than the old Yellow Dogs & Purple Chicks but because it's a processed stereoization of Nagras that were otherwise presented fairly well elsewhere, I'd keep both.
Fair point.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

I remember that we had at least one thread about the Nagras over "in the 'zone". I think Yellow Dog used the Nagras themselves for "Day By Day": from what I understand, Yellow Dog had the Nagra rolls in their possession when they were busted, so it stands to reason they'd use those tapes for their definitive version of the January 1969 sessions.

I remember saying, in one of those threads (might have been the "New Blue Soap" thread, now that I think abut it), that "Day By Day" sounds better than Kevin Howlett's "Fly On The Wall" and that I think Kevin likely used bootlegs to compile his extended medley 'cause the material hadn't yet been retrieved from Yellow Dog. Or it might be the case that NoNoise was used heavily, as it was on the parent disc, making "Fly On The Wall" sound dull compared to "Day By Day". Just as well the "Let It Be...Naked" CD was priced the same as regular single disc CDs and not at a double CD package rip-off price...!!!

Here's the first roll from "Day By Day": the tape is 100% in phase at the moment I took the snapshot and the spectral image shows a slight EQ difference between left and right.

Here's roll 556A: the tape is 99% in phase at the moment I took the snapshot and the spectral image again shows a slight EQ difference between left and right. It seems to me that the tapes were transferred well-enough for "DBD", at any rate.

This has a playback of "Teddy Boy" where Paul adds some extra vocals and Glyn Johns is showing enthusiasm for the track/performance (and Glyn revives his singing career for a few words and claps his hands in accompaniment). (It would be interesting to know if this was filmed and if Peter Jackson includes a portion of this on his cheered up version of "LIB").
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!