A list of known unbootlegged material?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
AdamBound

Re: A list of known unbootlegged material?

Post by AdamBound »

There are SO MANY films that extremely few / nobody currently knows about, even.
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

zappaf78 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm Image
This.

The Holy Grail of lost recordings. All four Beatles together on record for the first time (mit Wally).

Has this truly disappeared? Sitting in a landfill never to be found? Or is it maybe still out there somewhere.

Truly in need of a worldwide quest by some brave (monied) soul to find out....
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

What Goes On demo. Mary Bee demo. World Without Love demo.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

I was told many years ago that the session tape for the song “Please, Please Me” was somewhere in Canada. If that’s true I don’t know but I did get the info from a pretty reliable source
jgjohnson

Post by jgjohnson »

I met Gerry Marsden ( Gerry & the Pacemakers) once and asked him if he had any tapes he made of the early days in Liverpool. He told me he did have tapes including ones of the Beatles that he made, but that he would never do anything with them "because they are so dear to my heart"
Sadly Gerry passed away last year. I wonder where those tapes are now? If he had a family you can be sure they know about them.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I would not include video unless it was of their pre-fame years.

There are all the Dick James demos and - despite what people say - I have been told that many of these exist and are in private hands. Don't hold your breath about ever hearing them though. Possibly these are copies used by the transcriber who did the sheet music.

There's the first EMI session tape kept by Geoff Emerick, although even if Apple get it back it seems extremely unlikely they'll ever release any of it.

There's the complete versions of the extracts from People And Places in 1962. This is something I personally would love to hear. Unfortunately, Apple have those too.

There's a couple of tapes Paul has: one of them from supposedly the same lot as Astrid and hans walther-Braun's tapes, containing an early version of When I'm 64 among others. The other is the Cavern tape from 1962 which Lewisohn says was very poor quality.

There's the missing Cavern tape from Sept. 5th 1962, a soundboard recording lasting 30 minutes. If that ever turned up it would be truly epic. However it could have just been thrown out or re-used.

Mike McCartney says he has some tapes, but I get the impression that they are actually the Cavern rehearsal from November 1962 we've had for years. But he may have more, who knows?

A letter from the BBC to cavern fan Mike Adams in late 1982 requests a copy of "The Talent Spot" amongst other early BBC recordings. Mike was the guy who recorded the first two broadcasts. Whether they ever got a copy who knows. But it does give hope that their 1962 performance of Twist And Shout still exists.

There's the Friday Spectacular appearances for Radio Luxembourg, and although they only featured The Beatles talking they would be very interesting because they are basically pre-fame. There's an early Pop Inn to with an interview. Whether any of these exist is anybody's guess, but when you consider the listening audiences it is not impossible.

Of course, there's a few early BBC sessions missing too, most notably an edition of Side By Side and an early live performance for Steppin' Out.

There's a Cavern rehearsal tape with Love Of the Loved, Misery, Tip Of My Tongue and a few others.

There's some interesting live gigs, notably Bournmouth 1963 with live versions of songs like Baby It's You; Hong Kong 1964 with a presumably quiet audience; a board recording of Blokker 1964 (a bit of this is on Looking through the Bent Backed Tulips); a board recording of Munich 1966; a board recording of one of their Spanish shows; and probably more we don't know anything about. Come to that, it would be nice to have a complete copy of the Adelaide concert recorded for radio in decent quality. The bootlegs have wonky speed, but in the tv doco "The Beatles Down Under" which I posted the other day there is audio of two songs from the late Bob Rogers' master copy in very nice quality.

There's the first take of Some Other Guy filmed at the Cavern, of which about 10 seconds worth of audio was heard in Anthology before it cut to the audio of take 2. A further section was heard behind John talking in Man Of the Decade. Presumably the whole audio still exists.

Oh, and two acetates presumed lost: "Summertime" from 1960 which Alan williams lost when he was in his cups one night; and the Beatles and Gerry And the Pacemakers doing "There Is A Shanty Town". Oh, and another Percy Phillips acetate which I am not entirely unconvinced is actually those two electric versions of Hallelujah I Love Her So and One After 909 on the 1960 tapes.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

jgjohnson wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 am I met Gerry Marsden ( Gerry & the Pacemakers) once and asked him if he had any tapes he made of the early days in Liverpool. He told me he did have tapes including ones of the Beatles that he made, but that he would never do anything with them "because they are so dear to my heart"
Sadly Gerry passed away last year. I wonder where those tapes are now? If he had a family you can be sure they know about them.
Maybe he meant "There Is A Shanty Town"?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

I guess maybe an easier way of finding a video list would be searching through Beatlesonfilm.
MCPing16

Post by MCPing16 »

Thank you so much all of you who have replied so far. I posted full of expectation and as usual you haven't let me down. At the weekend I'll compile a list which will hopefully be chronological. What an amazing box set this would make! Thanks you again.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

There's the recording of New Orleans from 1964 because we have the intros. Where is the rest?
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.