New Brown Shoe/Hello Goodbye

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

New Brown Shoe/Hello Goodbye

Post by Lord Reith »

I've always loved George's edgy B-side Old Brown Shoe, which has echoes of Not Guilty in its... erm, echoing guitar phrases. But I always hated the "voice in the room down the hall" aspect of it. A long time ago I just boosted the vocal, but it is so badly recorded it wasn't much of an improvement.

So I took another route and erased the crappy vocal track and replaced it with his vocal from the demo. Since this was an in-studio demo, the quality is very good and so it is a good match.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://pixeldrain.com/u/qPpCGJQE

BTW, I've heard ruminations about Paul playing drums on this... no way! He was never that good on drums. This is the Ring-laden one all the way.

UPDATE:

Hello Goodbye (single tracked vocal): https://pixeldrain.com/u/p1WzjaZo
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue May 14, 2024 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
D-listener

Re: New Brown Shoe

Post by D-listener »

Thank you again for another great share...not sure why I felt some fear but this is excellent!
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Great! I can finally understand some of the lyrics. Thanks

This is a terrific song. I recall a kid from my childhood who hated this song and said it was the worst thing The Beatles ever recorded. I think he was from another planet.
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Thank you, this has always been one of my favorites from their catalog.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

The demo vocal works really well on this. Nice.
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

Wow, that sounds really good! Thanks!
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks Lord Reith !
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:39 am I've always loved George's edgy B-side Old Brown Shoe, which has echoes of Not Guilty in its... erm, echoing guitar phrases. But I always hated the "voice in the room down the hall" aspect of it. A long time ago I just boosted the vocal, but it is so badly recorded it wasn't much of an improvement.

So I took another route and erased the crappy vocal track and replaced it with his vocal from the demo. Since this was an in-studio demo, the quality is very good and so it is a good match.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://tinyurl.com/exp-june-8

BTW, I've heard ruminations about Paul playing drums on this... no way! He was never that good on drums. This is the Ring-laden one all the way.
Very nice indeed!

The liner notes for the deluxe Abbey Road state that Paul plays drums and John played piano…I have my doubts about both. However it was supposedly recorded during Magic Christian filming so who the heck knows…
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:39 am I've always loved George's edgy B-side Old Brown Shoe, which has echoes of Not Guilty in its... erm, echoing guitar phrases. But I always hated the "voice in the room down the hall" aspect of it. A long time ago I just boosted the vocal, but it is so badly recorded it wasn't much of an improvement.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://tinyurl.com/exp-june-8

Very nice indeed!

The liner notes for the deluxe Abbey Road state that Paul plays drums and John played piano…I have my doubts about both. However it was supposedly recorded during Magic Christian filming so who the heck knows…
The liner notes are wrong. Ringo missed the AFTERNOON session, when they rehearsed OBS. Ringo was there for the evening session proper. I think it's George on piano. It's note-for-note the same as what he played on the Birthday demo. Yea, Paul could have learned it, but it's damn identical. Why would John have bothered to learn the part, then play it just like George? I think Doggett mis-read the studio notes or mis-heard the session tapes. Ringo may have left after OBS was completed and Paul jumped on the drums for the Something rehearsal, but there's no way Paul is drumming on the master take. Leaving what, George on bass and John on guitar for the basic tracks? And get it down in just 4 takes? Not a chance.

Another fab remix sir. Amazing how closely the vocal from the demo matches the studio backing. And a fine editorial choice to use the final backing vocal during the coda. Well done!

Ron
darod

Post by darod »

Thank you very much Lord Reith and also thank you for the WeTransfer alternative site :)