New Brown Shoe/Hello Goodbye

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: New Brown Shoe

Post by Tex »

urasam2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm While doing this I found there is a slight playback head alignment issue on the original stereo mix - the right channel lags one sample behind the left. I have found this same azimuth issue on a number of other original stereo mixes. One of the stereo machines at Abbey Road was misaligned.
When I did my 2014/15 remixes I basically had to take every track (2009 remaster WAVs), split them into L/R only tracks, load those into the DAW, shift the right channel back or forth 1 sample and output the WAV so that the L/R were now as synced as possible.

Why would I go to the trouble fixing a one (or sometimes two) sample offset?? Because that offset was interfering with getting a clean extraction (and therefore L/R isolations) with the Center Channel plugin. Before fixing the sync I was getting noticeable vocal leakage and sibilance. After fixing the sync the extractions and isolations were far better. The worst was "Money" which I think is actually 9 samples offset. Other problem tracks that also might had phase issues along with azimuth were "Got to Get You Into My Life" and "Everybody's Trying to be My Baby". The REDD desk actually had phase adjustment knob maybe they had that up by accident. Sometimes you have to tweak the phase if you are getting phase cancellation between microphones.

I bet the actual offset might be a little more or less than 1 sample but digital sampling only has so much resolution.

My channels isolation technique was to get a good center channel extract, invert the file and add back to the original mix in the DAW to effectively cancel out the center. I panned everything Left/Right to create discrete Left/Right channels. I NEVER ran the Center Channel plugin (via WinAmp) in "side extract mode" I always manually subtracted in the DAW so I could control the levels. I also didn't trust "side extract" would do a perfect invert of "center extract". In the end I got really good L/C/R isolations and that helped with some of my newer spectral mixes.
RubberSolof

Post by RubberSolof »

No Longer available... Can I please get a reup... thanks!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you Lord Reith for this gem. You have breathed more life into a real favourite of mine - it is refreshingly good.
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Many Thanks Lord Reith.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

The bass line (this is Paul, right) is one of my favorite - incredible bass line during this part :

I may appear to be imperfect
My love is something you can't reject
I'm changing faster than the weather
If you and me should get together

Especially during that verse : Who knows, baby, you may comfort me

This is my favorite bass line, along with the most catchy bass line ever (Have A Little Help From My Friend), the most melodic ever bass line (Something) - this bass line is a song in itself - and George's song is one of the best Beatles song, and the most daring and bombastic bass line (I Want You).

Great mix, I want more from George.
Long, Long, Long with alt vocals ?

I have the feeling that George revisited the intro of Old Brown Shoe for "Save The World".
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Sat May 11, 2024 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:48 pm The bass line (this is Paul, right) is one of my favorite - incredible bass line during this part :

I may appear to be imperfect
My love is something you can't reject
I'm changing faster than the weather
If you and me should get together

Especially during that verse : Who knows, baby, you may comfort me

This is my favorite bass line
Exactly the same for me. I love that bit, it’s my favourite part of the whole song!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

I really enjoy this, great job. Thanks
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME share M'Lord - Thank you .....
Lord Reith

If I Fell

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:00 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:48 pm The bass line (this is Paul, right) is one of my favorite - incredible bass line during this part :

This is my favorite bass line
Exactly the same for me. I love that bit, it’s my favourite part of the whole song!

Me too. Lightning fast bass runs from Paul, and they even sound a bit Moog-ish. I kind of feel like George might have written this song for someone else, maybe Lomax?

Pressing on, here are two different dry mixes of If I Fell, revealing the double tracking process and that - as george Martin said in his book - there's nothing wrong with being out of tune... so long as it's tuneful. Wise man. It was their very sloppiness sometimes that made them sound so good.

https://tinyurl.com/if-i-fell
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene