The Beatles - Oddball Mixes For Obsessed Fans - Expanded 2024 Edition

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
unwantedman

The Beatles - Oddball Mixes For Obsessed Fans - Expanded 2024 Edition

Post by unwantedman »

My friend Ex-Snu Boy put this collection together, and i created some artwork. We originally did this in 2006, and have now updated it. We hope you enjoy it! Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Artwork is included. The link is good until May 22. If any kind soul would like to make a more permanent link, that would be appreciated.
hxxps://we.tl/t-yX4XtxlYUf

This collection brings together all the important oddball mixes of the Beatles. If you have the original
or Dr. Ebbetts versions of the UK Singles, UK EPs, UK mono and stereo albums, and Past Masters
Vols. 1 & 2, then our set contains everything else you need in terms of released material—at least according
to Doug Sulpy's Complete Beatles’ Audio Guide (2006).

In assembling this collection we've followed a few basic rules: First, all our songs (with a few exceptions, all
marked) are taken directly from the last versions of the given Dr. Ebbetts albums and so represent the best
and most faithful versions of those songs. We’ve not tampered with these files, so occasionally you may notice
differences in volume levels owing to the same differences in the Dr. Ebbetts originals. Second, all song
notes (with a few modifications to ease reading) are cribbed from Sulpy's book. If you don't hear what he
heard, don't complain to us. Finally, we’ve taken the liberty of filling in the gaps by including the original
mono mixes of the four unique tracks from the Yellow Submarine film and album. Dr. Ebbetts offers these on his
Yellow Submarine (Mono Soundtrack) disc, so it wasn’t hard to find these tracks in a quality that matches all
the other tracks here.

A note about this version: Some Beatles fans will remember a version of this album that came out in 2006, now
a real rarity and collectors item. This set includes all the tracks found on that version, and adds others that
the prior set omitted. All together there are 12 such new tracks, each of which is marked with * in the track
lists. Where relevant, this set also upgrades tracks. Finally, this set employs a new organization scheme which
puts most of the album tracks on disc one and most of the singles tracks on disc two, a move that considerably
enhances the listening experience.

As a result, every fan who gets their hands on this gem can do so with confidence that it is the most complete and
best sounding version of the set yet, with an ideal organization scheme.
Last edited by unwantedman on Wed May 15, 2024 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
unwantedman

Re: The Beatles - Oddball Mixes For Obsessed Fans - Expanded 2024 Edition

Post by unwantedman »

The notes.

Disc One

1. All My Loving - Beatles Greatest (German Stereo, LP)
A banding oddity. Five high-hat taps lead off the song and you can hear Paul’s breath before the first line.

2. And I Love Her - Something New (German Stereo, LP)
This has six bars of guitar at the end instead of four.

*3. And I Love Her - A Hard Day’s Night (US Mono, LP)
A version prepared for the film. This has a single-track lead vocal, unlike the stereo and UK mono versions which
are double-tracked. This track also appears on the US Something New mono album, which is offered as a bonus track
at the end of this disc.

4. Any Time At All - Something New (US Mono, LP)
A unique mix. This features the piano mixed way down on the instrumental break, and has a “fingers along the guitar
string” sound before the first note of the solo that is not on the UK mono mix.

5. I’ll Cry Instead - Something New (US Mono, LP)
This version is twenty seconds longer than the European release, featuring a reprise of the first verse (the edit is
at 1:11). In addition, you can hear the sound of someone’s fingers sliding across the guitar strings before the song begins.

6. When I Get Home - Something New (US Mono, LP)
Compared to the UK mono version, this mix features a different vocal on the line “Till I walk out that door again” and a
lower guitar / louder piano mix.

7. I’ll Be Back - Beatles ’65 (US Mono, LP)
The drums are mixed lower in this version. Also the song runs far closer to the speed of the stereo UK mix and like that
mix runs a second or two longer.

8. Mr. Moonlight - Beatles ’65 (US Stereo, LP)
The stereo mix of Mr. Moonlight is slightly longer than the mono, especially in the US version, where it seems you can hear
the end of the performance as the song is fading.

9. You’re Going To Lose That Girl - Help! (US Stereo, LP)
There’s a banding oddity on this version, where the very end of “three” from Paul’s count-in is audible right before the
performance begins. Listen very hard!

10. The Word - Rubber Soul (US Stereo, LP)
In the UK stereo mix the vocals are split between two stereo channels, while in the mix here all of the vocals are on one
channel. More significantly, John’s vocal is double-tracked on this version and nowhere else. In addition, the song lasts
a couple of seconds longer, to the point where it seems the performance is ending.

11. Michelle - Rubber Soul (US Mono, LP)
This mix features louder percussion and, like the UK mono mix, runs slightly longer than the stereo.

12. I’m Looking Through You - Rubber Soul (US Stereo, LP)
This version includes two false starts absent from all other releases.

13. I’m Only Sleeping - Yesterday and Today (US Mono, LP)
14. I’m Only Sleeping - Yesterday and Today (US "True" Stereo, LP)
The four versions of this song (UK mono and stereo and US mono and stereo) all feature different degrees and placement
of the background guitar sounds.

15. And Your Bird Can Sing - Yesterday and Today (US "True" Stereo, LP)
This version has the guitar mixed slightly lower, enabling one to hear the percussion more clearly.

16. Doctor Robert - Yesterday and Today (US Mono, LP)
This mix is slightly longer. After the song ends you can hear John say, “OK, Herb.”

17. Doctor Robert - Yesterday and Today (US "True" Stereo, LP)
There’s no real difference between the US and UK stereo mixes except that the US mix sounds better and runs faster.

18. Tomorrow Never Knows - Revolver (UK Mono, matrix XEX 606-1, LP)
Initial mono pressings of “Revolver” had a completely different (and quickly scrapped) mono mix. This is about three
seconds longer than the common stereo and mono versions and has numerous differences in the fading and the placement of the
background effects. In addition, John’s vocal is eq’d differently, and has a fuller sound in comparison with the mono mix.

*19. A Day in the Life - Imagine: Soundtrack (World Stereo, CD)
This version has a clean beginning, without the applause overdub which originally bridged this song to “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely
Hearts Club Band (Reprise).” This remix also appears on The Beatles 1967-1970 CD, but there noise reduction dampens the sound.

20. I am the Walrus - The US Singles Collection (US Mono, 45)
In this version, there’s an extra bar of music heard before the line about “yellow matter custard.”

*21. Only a Northern Song - Yellow Submarine (Mono Soundtrack) (UK Mono, CD)
*22. All Together Now - Yellow Submarine (Mono Soundtrack) (UK Mono, CD)
*23. Hey Bulldog - Yellow Submarine (Mono Soundtrack) (UK Mono, CD)
*24. It’s All Too Much - Yellow Submarine (Mono Soundtrack) (UK Mono, CD)
These are the true mono mixes of these songs. The legitimately issued versions on the UK mono album are simply bounced
down from the stereo (or mock stereo) versions of the songs. The extended version of “It’s All Too Much” is one of the
highlights of the unreleased Beatles canon since it’s the full version of the song before it was edited down.

*25. And I Love Her - Something New (US Mono, LP)
This has a single-track lead vocal, unlike the stereo and mono UK versions which are double-tracked. This version also
appears on US mono A Hard Day’s Night album and is presented earlier on this disc as track 3, but the Something New
version is given here as a bonus track just in case there are any tiny differences!
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

The notes, disc 2. When i put all the notes in one post i get an error message.

Disc Two

*1. Please Please Me - The UK Singles Collection (UK Mono, first pressing, 45)
*2. Ask Me Why - The UK Singles Collection (US Stereo, first pressing, 45)
In comparison to the versions on the UK mono Please Please Me album, the versions found on the first pressing of the
UK mono single have less echo on them.

3. From Me to You - The Beatles 1962-1966 (US Stereo, LP)
A harmonica part can be heard over the intro in the mono mix (on Past Masters Vol. 1), but is absent from the stereo.

4. Thank You Girl - The Beatles Second Album (US Stereo, LP)
Unlike the mono mix (which is on Past Masters Vol. 1), the stereo mix has a harmonica overdub on the line “the way that
you do” and after “good to be true.” There’s also more echo added to the voice and the harmonica at the very end of the song.

5. I Want to Hold Your Hand - (Australian Stereo, 45)
This is the wide stereo mix, with vocals on one channel and instrumentation on the other. The mix on Past Masters Vol. 1
has the instrumentation split between the two channels and vocals centered. Dr. Ebbetts doesn't offer this one, but an
anonymous soul shared a first-class rip on the Bootleg Zone before its demise, so that’s what you get here.

6. Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand - Something New (US Stereo, LP)
The stereo version of the song. This version features some extraneous talk in one channel before the singing begins. One
curious thing to note in comparing this and the previous track is that Paul takes the lead vocal in German whereas John
does in English.

7. Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand - Rarities (UK Stereo, LP)
The cleaned-up stereo version of the song. The mono version is on Past Masters Vol. 1. This doesn’t include the extraneous
talking in one channel at the start of the song like the previous track.

8. Sie Liebt Dich - Rarities (UK Stereo, LP)
The stereo version of the song. The mono version is on Past Masters Vol. 1.

9. Long Tall Sally - The Beatles Second Album (US Mono, LP)
This mix of the song has very little reverb on Paul’s vocal.

10. I Call Your Name - The Beatles Second Album (US Stereo, LP)
Different edits were made for the US and UK stereo mixes. On the US version, the edit occurs right before “call your
name,” while in the UK mix it’s before “but you’re not there.” The edits in and out of the solo are also at different
points, and the US mix has a lot more reverb than the UK mix.

11. I Feel Fine - Collector's Items (UK Stereo, LP)
This is the famous “whispering” version that first appeared on the UK version of The Beatles 1962-1966 album. Since Dr. Ebbetts
only offers the US version of the album (which doesn't have the oddity), we've had to look elsewhere in his catalog.

12. She’s a Woman - EP Collection (UK Stereo, CD)
As part of a bonus EP that came with their vinyl EP Collection, EMI released the UK stereo mix of this song complete with
Paul’s “1, 2, 3, 4” count-in. This intentional banding oddity was also used when the EP Collection was released on compact disc.

13. Bad Boy - Beatles VI (US Mono, LP)
14. Yes It Is - Beatles VI (US Mono, LP)
The mono versions of these two songs. The stereo mixes are on Past Masters Vol. 1.

15. Day Tripper - Yesterday and Today (US Stereo, LP)
The US mix starts off with a single guitar for a few bars, then the second guitar fades in. The UK stereo mix (found on
Past Masters Vol. 2) has both guitars playing from the start. Both mixes feature a very clumsy attempt to chop out an unwanted
sound during the line “tried to please her.” The US mix chops the sound cleanly out, then cleanly back in; the UK mix fades
back in on a guitar note. The US mix has less reverb than the UK mix. Finally, in the US mix, after the first “day tripper”
near the end someone mistakenly sings “yeah,” while in the UK mix there’s an intentional drop out that tries to eliminate
the vocal mistake.

16. We Can Work It Out - Yesterday and Today (US Stereo, LP)
The mix here has the harmonium on one channel during the verses, but centered during the chorus; the UK mix has the harmonium
on one channel throughout. The US version also has less reverb on the vocal.

17. Strawberry Fields Forever - Magical Mystery Tour (US Stereo, LP)
18. Strawberry Fields Forever - Magical Mystery Tour (German Stereo, LP)
There are two stereo mixes of this song (RS3 and RS5). RS3 appears on the US stereo Magical Mystery Tour album and on The
Beatles 1967-1970 album. RS5 appears on the German stereo Magical Mystery Tour album and on the original commercial CD. RS3
runs slower and John's vocal has more reverb. In RS5 you can hear a snare drum pounding out the beat throughout the coda (this
doesn’t happen in RS3). The false fade is different on the two mixes (RS5 fades more to silence than RS3), and the final fade
on RS5 is longer, allowing you to hear two “cranberry sauce” lines instead of one. Finally, not all instruments have the same
placement in the two stereo images. The descending run from the swarmandal, for instance, stays dead center in the mix here, but
pans from one channel to the other in RS5.

19. Penny Lane - The US Singles Collection (US Mono, promo, 45)
One of the most famous oddities. This version has the piccolo trumpet flourish at the end. In addition, the symbols are mixed
lower, the low brass sounds before “fish and finger pie” are mixed almost out, and the horns in general are mixed louder.

20. Penny Lane - Magical Mystery Tour (US Mono, LP)
This version is a little over a second longer than the UK mono version!

21. Baby You’re a Rich Man - The US Singles Collection (US Mono, 45)
This version has a banding error so that you can hear an engineer say “—leven” before the performance begins.

22. Revolution - Hey Jude (US Stereo, LP)
A click can be heard at the beginning of the stereo mix on Past Masters Vol. 2 that’s absent here. In addition, there’s more
bleed-through of the guitar into the drum channel on the mix here and you can hear a final guitar noise on the version here
that’s missing from all other releases.

*23. Across the Universe - No One’s Gonna Change Our World (UK Stereo, LP)
In comparison to the version on Let It Be, this version seems sped up a bit and has the Beatles backing vocals. This comes
from a rip by Nimbus from the original album, posted on Beatlegdb.

*24. I Feel Fine - Beatles ’65 (US Mono, LP)
*25. She’s a Woman - Beatles ’65 (US Mono, LP)
These are the cavernous mono mixes of these songs, offered here as bonus tracks, for absolute diehard obsessed fans only. The
piano track for “She’s a Woman” has certain notes clearly accentuated while the UK mono mix has all the piano notes the same.

* Bonus tracks for updated edition
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

i want to put the cover up, and it is below 2MB, but i get a message about the board attachment quota has been met. if anyone can put the cover up, i would appreciate it.
gaizoku

Post by gaizoku »

Thank you.
Captain_Kidd

Post by Captain_Kidd »

Very nice, this! It’s good to have all of these in one place, in the best quality, with good track info, and a nice cover!

Thanks UW! :)
jpgrcat1960

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

Cool idea...

If someone compiles the US fake stereo

Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand on the German Something New LP in fake stereo

Japan certain EP's might be have fake stereo songs

The are tons of mixes... :D
ladano48

Post by ladano48 »