Let It Be Film - end of an era

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Let It Be Film - end of an era

Post by WilliamShears »

I was thinking about how back in the day I ran into a LIB laser disk in the local video rental store and was able to talk my parents into renting it, along with a LD player, plus a VHS player - so that I could try to record a copy of it. I figured it out and had what I considered a decent copy of the movie self-bootlegged. (This is the kinda stuff that kept me mostly out of trouble in middle school!)

Throughout the years whenever a major Beatles event happened, interest would peak. Discussions and trading at Beatlefests and record fairs eventually moved to rec.music.beatles and other online forums where we'd run ourselves in circles with all the different theories as to why we don't have it. Sometimes there would be hope in the form of an interview tease or offhand comment that added fuel to the fire. Every year that began with the same question: "Will this be the year?" ended with the same answer: "No. No it won't."

Not anymore. This is it - we're about to finally get it. Now that it will be out, in great quality (regardless of whatever aspect ratio we get), it's the end of an era. The amount of bandwidth that has been spent for the last several decades on discussing 'when?' or 'why?' and responding 'never!' or 'in another 50 years', etc. is now down to zero. It feels kinda weird doesn't it?

over-the-top-bandwidth-simulation.png
over-the-top-bandwidth-simulation.png (343.39 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

Now we can focus on the Star Club!
:D
Fun 4 None

Re: Let It Be Film - end of an era

Post by Fun 4 None »

WilliamShears wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:39 am I was thinking about how back in the day I ran into a LIB laser disk in the local video rental store and was able to talk my parents into renting it, along with a LD player, plus a VHS player - so that I could try to record a copy of it. I figured it out and had what I considered a decent copy of the movie self-bootlegged. (This is the kinda stuff that kept me mostly out of trouble in middle school!)

Throughout the years whenever a major Beatles event happened, interest would peak. Discussions and trading at Beatlefests and record fairs eventually moved to rec.music.beatles and other online forums where we'd run ourselves in circles with all the different theories as to why we don't have it. Sometimes there would be hope in the form of an interview tease or offhand comment that added fuel to the fire. Every year that began with the same question: "Will this be the year?" ended with the same answer: "No. No it won't."

Not anymore. This is it - we're about to finally get it. Now that it will be out, in great quality (regardless of whatever aspect ratio we get), it's the end of an era. The amount of bandwidth that has been spent for the last several decades on discussing 'when?' or 'why?' and responding 'never!' or 'in another 50 years', etc. is now down to zero. It feels kinda weird doesn't it?

over-the-top-bandwidth-simulation.png

Now we can focus on the Star Club!
:D
Maybe this forum can collectively bully Apple and SOFA into releasing Shea :D
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

We´ll always have "All for love" and "Carnival of light"...

But about "Let it be", I´m still nor very satisfied with it being stream-only.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

If I know the fan community, it'll be downloaded and a blu ray or dvd version will be created and on here regardless of what disney does
remember when you were in The Beatles? and the song goes, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”? You.. you remember that?

Yes.

Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience I find, the more you give, the more you get.
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Hopefully we'll all watch It, like it, make a notch in our bedpost and stop thinking of January 1969 for a while :mrgreen:
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I remember first seeing it on Cinemax in the early 80's right when I was becoming a fan. I recorded it on an old 70s home vcr unit. It had gigantic tapes and the unit was a beast, but my sister's boyfriend had loaned it to me to record the last MASH because school obligations kept me from watching it live. He didn't want it back when they broke up. I had three tapes. The other two went to the last Tom Baker Doctor Who via my local PBS station with the third holding Let It Be.

I have not watched the original film in decades. So I’m really looking forward to watching it next week regardless of aspect ratio and de-noise and the things that drive others nuts (which I get). I’m really easy to please when it comes to Beatles stuff. I’m too old to quibble and want as much as I can before I depart
AdamBound

Post by AdamBound »

I'm so happy that this release appears to be exactly how Let It Be should be handled!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 5.55.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 5.55.26 PM.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

For a goof I just bought the LD from eBay..for whatever reason I never purchased it
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

The darkest depths of Mordor...
oops, wrong movie!
KC
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I remember seeing Let It Be (I think) on the "Z" Channel years ago. I also recall it being a regular at the Nuart Theatre, a local movie house that ran, almost exclusively, art and music films. I remember the VHS and LaserDisc releases. I remember seeing an official presentation of the film in a private movie house a few years back. And I remember the radio silence all these years from the minders of the store at Apple. I also see this as an end of an era. But is it really? There's still a lot I'd like to see in the way of a home release of this film. Commentary tracks. Extra scene-age. The complete Rooftop performance although we pretty much have that already in the Multicam version posted by Get Back Film Camp here:

viewtopic.php?t=8593&hilit=rooftop

While this movie is my least favorite. And Get Back rests right above it (I still haven't watched it all the way through), I am thankful that we can finally put somewhat of an icing on the cake. Still waiting for the cherry which may never come. But for all practical purposes this puts a major part of the whole Get Back/Let It Be era to rest.

We're seeing the beginning of a new era in clamoring for material becoming official. Perhaps we'll fixate on the Star Club tapes as there's been more than a few hints there. Perhaps it will be a proper release of their TV broadcasts and awards appearances. Perhaps it will be a compendium of all the films John and Yoko made together. Maybe it'll be something as simple as synching up the Yellow Submarine film with Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon,....oh, wait, someone's signaling to me.....it's been done??!! The Wizard Of Oz what??! Never mind.

I'm certain that Apple has minions that are aware of, and traipse through, this forum. I wouldn't think of this as putting pressure on Apple. When has that EVER worked. I would hope that they are at least receptive, and include our meanderings in whatever their conversation is as it pertains to a new official release.

-Z