Tell Me Why (Film mix reconstruction)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Bianju

Tell Me Why (Film mix reconstruction)

Post by Bianju »

Using split vocals from the 2020 "Something New" album and the backing from the EP version, I present my approximation of the phantom RMx of Tell Me Why as heard in theatrical prints of A Hard Day's Night. My theory is that it was rough-mixed with full double-tracking like the stereo mix, then mixed with one half of the double-track this way, and then that mix was replicated but with the other half of the double-track (perhaps because the side used for the film was slightly contaminated; you can hear a lot more bleed-over from the other vocal track, especially in the middle 8. Hope you enjoy!

hELps://we.tl/t-sLcIIHW2JR
BeatleGuy1949

Re: Tell Me Why (Film mix reconstruction)

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank you Bianju
darod

Post by darod »

Thank you very much Bianju :)

also, it is a good thinking to replace the letter TT in HTTP by EL instead of XX
Tex

Post by Tex »

It could use some refinement (maybe audition multiple algorithms) but it's very interesting how different the other vocal is.

Thanks.
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Interesting. Thanks. That has to be the jazziest song The Beatles ever recorded (aside from "You Know My Name").
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, Bianju! :)
Ale.
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

This remix is very interesting. One of my favorite songs from 1964, too! Thanx!
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

if only they did do this one live. such a good track! Would love to hear it in Indianapolis or something!
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Bianju wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm Using split vocals from the 2020 "Something New" album and the backing from the EP version, I present my approximation of the phantom RMx of Tell Me Why as heard in theatrical prints of A Hard Day's Night. My theory is that it was rough-mixed with full double-tracking like the stereo mix, then mixed with one half of the double-track this way, and then that mix was replicated but with the other half of the double-track (perhaps because the side used for the film was slightly contaminated; you can hear a lot more bleed-over from the other vocal track, especially in the middle 8. Hope you enjoy!

might get a kick from this, synced the audio to Tell Me Why concert scene edited to fit the full song.

hxxps://we.tl/t-ZcJ1EihgTn
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am
Bianju wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm Using split vocals from the 2020 "Something New" album and the backing from the EP version, I present my approximation of the phantom RMx of Tell Me Why as heard in theatrical prints of A Hard Day's Night. My theory is that it was rough-mixed with full double-tracking like the stereo mix, then mixed with one half of the double-track this way, and then that mix was replicated but with the other half of the double-track (perhaps because the side used for the film was slightly contaminated; you can hear a lot more bleed-over from the other vocal track, especially in the middle 8. Hope you enjoy!

might get a kick from this, synced the audio to Tell Me Why concert scene edited to fit the full song.

hxxps://we.tl/t-ZcJ1EihgTn
Definitely got a kick out of this! I think it shows why this vocal was the one used for the film; it fits John's lip synching very well, certainly better than using the stereo double tracking.