What Are The Best Digital Sources For Each Single/EP?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
MrSpelleps

What Are The Best Digital Sources For Each Single/EP?

Post by MrSpelleps »

Which releases do you think are the best digital sources for all of the singles and EPs, including Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine?
These are my choices using lossless audio from official releases. I'd love to hear your opinions/objections.
I'd also be interested in any boots that surpass the audio quality of anything listed here (i.e. 1966 Stereo Mix of Strawberry Fields Forever).

sources.png
sources.png (124.55 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Last edited by MrSpelleps on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Tex

Re: What are the best digital sources for each single/EP?

Post by Tex »

MrSpelleps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:28 pm Which releases do you think are the best digital sources for all of the singles and EPs, including Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine?
This list is my first instincts using only officially released audio. I'd love to hear your opinions/objections, especially for the ones marked with ?.
I'd also be interested in any boots that surpass the audio quality of anything listed here (i.e. 1996 Stereo Mix of Strawberry Fields Forever).

She Loves You
Mono: 2009 USB or 1992 CD EP?
Stereo: 2023 Red (Stereo or Atmos?)
She Loves You: CSNYfan's forensic restoration of the master from the "Million Sellers" CD EP and a subsequent stereo upmix. He actually speed corrected the edit pieces which are at different speeds and have been since the original edit in 1963. Everyone else has just done a spectral stereo upmix.

The "Million Sellers" CD EP not only contains the superior sounding mono versions of "I Want Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" but also "Can't Buy Me Love". That disc is worth the price of the whole box frankly.

As far as the other sources I have no idea. I posted a few CD singles last month and asked if people thought they were better or not to other sources but got no reply.

I can post some of the CD EPs if requested. They are generally well mastered often better than the earlier CDs.
MrSpelleps

Post by MrSpelleps »

Tex wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:48 pm The "Million Sellers" CD EP not only contains the superior sounding mono versions of "I Want Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" but also "Can't Buy Me Love". That disc is worth the price of the whole box frankly.

As far as the other sources I have no idea. I posted a few CD singles last month and asked if people thought they were better or not to other sources but got no reply.
The CD EP collection also has the most dynamic version of Twist and Shout, I believe it's the delta mono mix.

I don't like the CD Singles because the mono recordings were dubbed by a machine with a stereo head, so each of the channels have different levels which leads to phasing problems.
Tex

Post by Tex »

The "Twist and Shout" CD EP:
hxxps://we.tl/t-XuaXgO5MYP
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

MrSpelleps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 pm
The CD EP collection also has the most dynamic version of Twist and Shout, I believe it's the delta mono mix.
According to Barrett's notes, the session tape E48879 was recorded in two track only, so there wasn't a delta mono mix to use.
Grackleflint

Post by Grackleflint »

Tex wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:48 pm
She Loves You: CSNYfan's forensic restoration of the master from the "Million Sellers" CD EP and a subsequent stereo upmix. He actually speed corrected the edit pieces which are at different speeds and have been since the original edit in 1963. Everyone else has just done a spectral stereo upmix.

I can post some of the CD EPs if requested. They are generally well mastered often better than the earlier CDs.
Is the CSNY restoration available anywhere here? I did a search but couldn't find it. thank you
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Grackleflint wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:06 pm Is the CSNY restoration available anywhere here? I did a search but couldn't find it. thank you
I've renewed my upload in the cnsyfan topic viewtopic.php?p=135216#p135216
Grackleflint

Post by Grackleflint »

Thank you!
Antonio218

Re: What Are The Best Digital Sources For Each Single/EP?

Post by Antonio218 »

Many Thanks for TAS Tex.