Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
ruedabeat

Re: MLH's 'Let It Be' is coming!

Post by ruedabeat »

Fun 4 None wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 pm So now the big question....4:3 or 16:9?
Digital Treatment as the Documentary or just a Digital Transfer ? :?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Kudos are in order for Mr beatlesondvd

Thanks very much
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

lennonfan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:48 pm I really wonder what took them so long.
ROI

They'll sell more by spreading it out.
Adding this to the last one wouldn't have produced significantly more sales.

You don't really think trying to appeal to a minority of die-hards such as we are is a major part of the equation, do you?
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:59 am I think the other problem is that they began with only a few fragments of songs and somehow expected that they would write an album's worth of good songs during the process. But you're not likely to come up with good songs when you're spending all day sitting in a cold film set. They needed to be off doing their normal thing to come up with those good song ideas. It was all so regimented and structured that it completely cramped their style. What they actually needed was the complete opposite: a long holiday away from each other.
I think there were a whole set of problems. First, they were totally rusty as a live band. For this project, neither the millimetric approach of Sgt. Pepper's nor the "anything goes" attitude of the White Album are appropriate. It's painful when they do an impromptu "You Really Got a Hold On Me" and they simply cannot. George starts doing the lead vocal instead of the harmony he used to do, they try the original record key because apparently they don't remember in which key they played It... And it's only 5 years since they used to play it.
In Beatles For Sale they did the exact thing they are doing here (write some new songs, revive a couple of oldies they haven't played in some time and even finish a song from when they were teenagers) and they do it admirably and in the scarce time they had in between all the touring and promotional activities. You hit the nail on the head when you said in another thread that the Beatles of 1963 would have finished the Get Back project in 3 days.

Second, John. From what I see in Get Back, the problrm with John was not Yoko, or his disinterest, or his unwillingness to work with the others (there's a scene that suggests that he had been running "Gimme Some Truth" at Paul, if not for input at least to see what he thought of It). No, the problem is that he had the mother of all writer's blocks. For days all he could bring to the table was "Don't let me down" and "Dig a Pony". Which leads to another problem...

...George's songs. Which are excellent, but, this circles Back to John again. If you notice, there's almost zero instrumental input from John in George's songs since about 1966. And watching the doco I noticed that it's because John has real problems following George's chord changes. He does not have so many problema with Paul's songs, but he has an instinctive feeling about where Paul wants to go that he does not have with George. And for this project they could not afford having one man not pulling his weight.
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 am
I just can't understand what is going on in January 69. They just play those same songs over and over... what was the point?? Normally they'd just work on the song for one session, then add overdubs at extra sessions, mix it and then forget about it. But Paul seemed determined to drive the songs into the ground and with it the nerves of all the others. The only time they enjoyed themselves is when they stopped doing what they were supposed to be doing. That should have been a huge red flag that something was terribly wrong.
At some point they decided they were doing an album that would be 100% live takes. So they were trying to figure out the whole arrangement, with all the vocal parts and solos, and capture a perfect live take of it. If they had done basic live tracks and then worked on backing vocals, solos, etc, they could have banged those songs out.
Maccawings

Re: Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

Post by Maccawings »

start saving your pennies, looks to be a release rich year!!
Tex

Post by Tex »

The image file says LetItBe teaser.
ted

Post by ted »

A Disney tease, they're calling it:

hXXps://superdeluxeedition.com/news/disney-tease-let-it-be-announcement/
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:08 pmVia FB
"There will be an answer."

I'm betting the next post will be a filled in poster with the film's title (perhaps an animated one?). "There will be an answer.....Let It Be"

Never thought this day would come. Before I start worrying if Wingnut Films are going to DNR every speck of film grain or if Disney will or won't release a physical media version of it - I'm just going to enjoy this moment.

However it's going to look, it'll look better than the current 2nd-generation VHS dubs.