The Beatles Anthology (ABC Television Network US Broadcast) 6 DVD

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

This DVD set is a VHS transfer of the original November 1995 TV broadcasts.
They were recorded from ABC 7 which is the affiliate in Southern California and the greater Los Angeles area.

DVD 6 features a few local segments from ABC 7 including some 1964 Hollywood Bowl footage from their video archive.

I downloaded these DVDs sometime around mid-2009.

I remember the excitement and buildup to the Anthology TV series. The broadcast was over the Thanksgiving holiday
break from college. I recorded all three nights - my original tapes with TV reception issues haven't been transferred to DVD.

ENJOY!!

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/19sGnTCKc7aN64gLg9LYId21EPKH8Gb39

yymca6

Re: The Beatles Anthology (ABC Television Network US Broadcast) 6 DVD

Post by yymca6 »

Thnaks my friend for this one! I have a folder with giles from 2020 of each episode, each one in m4v, mp4 and ogv. Did you ever get that one?
Yves
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Question for you: is this the same as what you posted in December 2023 in the folder labeled "Anthology Review Cassettes (ABC Television Network US) VHS" ?
Yves
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

yymca6 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:18 pm Thnaks my friend for this one! I have a folder with giles from 2020 of each episode, each one in m4v, mp4 and ogv. Did you ever get that one?
You’re welcome! I don’t remember if I got those or not.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

yymca6 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:21 pm Question for you: is this the same as what you posted in December 2023 in the folder labeled "Anthology Review Cassettes (ABC Television Network US) VHS" ?
This version was recorded during the national broadcast whereas the review cassettes were sent out to media outlets before the broadcast. There may me minor differences but the bulk of the material is probably in place. But the short answer is they are not the same source.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:53 pm

This version was recorded during the national broadcast whereas the review cassettes were sent out to media outlets before the broadcast. There may me minor differences but the bulk of the material is probably in place. But the short answer is they are not the same source.
the wiki entry for the real love video says it aired live at the end of episode 2 and says it began with a strawberry not the piano.
this version has the piano so how sure are you of the source?
Two different versions of the video were made. The first version aired during the second installment of The Beatles Anthology television mini-series on ABC, at the end of the episode. The second version is the more common of the two, and appears on the bonus disc of the Anthology DVD set. The most notable difference between the two is in the way the videos begin: the first is presented by a strawberry – possibly a reference to "Strawberry Fields Forever", although also quite likely a nod to Godley's "Strawberry Studios" – while the second opens with a piano (the piano chord at the beginning).
I guess the wiki could be wrong...or maybe the strawberry version only aired in the UK?
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

GP10Ellison wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:53 am
cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:53 pm

the wiki entry for the real love video says it aired live at the end of episode 2 and says it began with a strawberry not the piano.
this version has the piano so how sure are you of the source? could it have been a repeat airing?
Then someone should update the wiki entry because this is the premier airing of the video. Looks the exact same as the tape I made on night 2. Furthermore, as far as I am aware there was NO repeat airing of Anthology. At least not in the US. One and done.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 am
Then someone should update the wiki entry because this is the premier airing of the video. Looks the exact same as the tape I made on night 2. Furthermore, as far as I am aware there was NO repeat airing of Anthology. At least not in the US. One and done.
so I just compared the video for real love with the one from the DVD and it is different. No strawberry but the version that didn't air on ABC has footage of each beatle with their spouses intercut into the video that aren't on the aired version. glad to finally know the truth of the differences.
sorry for the confusion.

I didn't remember a re-airing but figured maybe some market might have had it.

Fixed the wikipedia entry
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

GP10Ellison wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 am
cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 am
so I just compared the video for real love with the one from the DVD and it is different. No strawberry but the version that didn't air on ABC has footage of each beatle with their spouses intercut into the video that aren't on the aired version. glad to finally know the truth of the differences.
sorry for the confusion.

I didn't remember a re-airing but figured maybe some market might have had it.

Fixed the wikipedia entry
Yes, I seem to remember that after that airing The Beatles gave some notes about changes they wanted. I know one of the requests (I don’t remember which Beatle) asked that the slow motion current Beatles shots be extended a little. Then the shots with their wives were added.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:26 am Yes, I seem to remember that after that airing The Beatles gave some notes about changes they wanted. I know one of the requests (I don’t remember which Beatle) asked that the slow motion current Beatles shots be extended a little. Then the shots with their wives were added.
been looking everywhere for that "strawberry" at the beginning. Finally glad to know what the real differences were.
Thought I was losing my mind a bit over it.