The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
redlightflash

Re: Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

Post by redlightflash »

I uploaded the Australian airing a couple years I gotta look for it in my drive
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

For those who are interested. I have now analysed all of the Australian b/c and about 30 mins of the US broadcast (just watched "Some Other Guy" at the cavern footage) and amazingly already I have found that the US b/c even after 30 odd minutes (without ads) is missing approx 7:25 mins of material that was in the Australian TV b/c (which I assume is identical to the UK version)!
Apart from maybe some audio parts missing there's also 40 secs missing from their childhood years segment and after that the majority of missing footage seems to be a lot of the George and Ringo interviews and one John interview from "The Mike Douglas Show"(this is all in the first 13 mins of the first episode!). After that until the Cavern part it all seems to match the Aust/UK b/c. The TV ads are in totally different places compared to the Aussie broadcast even happening half way through particular segments.
The question is why? Maybe it was to fit more TV ads in? Very strange. Someone had a fun time editing the US version that's for sure. Will be fascinating to see what other parts are missing.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Hitachi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:15 pm For those who are interested. I have now analysed all of the Australian b/c and about 30 mins of the US broadcast (just watched "Some Other Guy" at the cavern footage) and amazingly already I have found that the US b/c even after 30 odd minutes (without ads) is missing approx 7:25 mins of material that was in the Australian TV b/c (which I assume is identical to the UK version)!
Apart from maybe some audio parts missing there's also 40 secs missing from their childhood years segment and after that the majority of missing footage seems to be a lot of the George and Ringo interviews and one John interview from "The Mike Douglas Show"(this is all in the first 13 mins of the first episode!). After that until the Cavern part it all seems to match the Aust/UK b/c. The TV ads are in totally different places compared to the Aussie broadcast even happening half way through particular segments.
The question is why? Maybe it was to fit more TV ads in? Very strange. Someone had a fun time editing the US version that's for sure. Will be fascinating to see what other parts are missing.
Can you share the Australian version here?
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

cliftdean74 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:49 pm
Hitachi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:15 pm For those who are interested. I have now analysed all of the Australian b/c and about 30 mins of the US broadcast (just watched "Some Other Guy" at the cavern footage) and amazingly already I have found that the US b/c even after 30 odd minutes (without ads) is missing approx 7:25 mins of material that was in the Australian TV b/c (which I assume is identical to the UK version)!
I grabbed it off the first page of this thread actually. So you should still be able to get it.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Hitachi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:49 pm
Hitachi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:15 pm For those who are interested. I have now analysed all of the Australian b/c and about 30 mins of the US broadcast…

I grabbed it off the first page of this thread actually. So you should still be able to get it.
Yes, thank you! I see it now.
TURNOPHONE

Post by TURNOPHONE »

The 3rd and final episode of the Australian broadcast is missing the first 15-20 minutes, does anyone have a complete copy of that?
Me: Yoko, your mic is still on.
Yoko: Yeah, I should turn it off, shouldn't I?
Me: Good Idea.

We both laugh.

Actual conversation at work.
zzz777

Post by zzz777 »

Mrbeatleg,
thanks a lot for sharing!!
:D
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

evenswr wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:47 pm
Hitachi wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:29 am Also if anyone has the Australian TV broadcast that they can upload that would be great as well.
Here's the Australian broadcast on SAS-7 :

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/514ETQYY#d9pBYrCjUFTdqBIOtGJYOw
Thanks, just catching these now!

Is anyone able to edit out commercials and Captain Kirk, etc? ;-)
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Still hoping for a kind soul to upload the UK TV broadcasts and also if someone has the complete 3rd (last) night of the Aussie broadcast because the uploaded one of the first page is missing a few minutes from the start and begins part way through the nicely done montage on Brian Epstein set to the song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" which I thought was a beautiful tribute to Brian but incredibly the US broadcast removed this!! Go figure.
Looking back at the Anthology after many years of not watching it I find it amazing how many essential parts of their story are completely missing and how many bits of awesome footage they could have easily included but didn't and how much of the footage they never even bothered to upscale or clean up like the Dezo Hoffmann home movies which could have easily (even back then) been cleaned up to remove all those annoying vertical scratches in the film. So many things like that would have made the TV broadcasts so much better. Of course the specials where improved a hundred fold with the DVD's but even then the quality of some of the footage was still average at best.
It will be fun to compare the DVD's with the TV broadcasts to see what they actually added.. that will be a hell of a project to do but yes I will be doing that once I finish watching the US TV broadcast and hopefully getting an upload of the UK broadcast. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.
evenswr

Post by evenswr »

Hitachi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:14 pm if someone has the complete 3rd (last) night of the Aussie broadcast because the uploaded one of the first page is missing a few minutes from the start
Here's a crappy copy of a different Aussie broadcast

hxxps://mega.nz/file/9wwGXK6B#kZDWa4YWYHw7GWe-xm-jGFA6hy_S1nB3H963eiFHxOg