Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Hitachi

Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

Post by Hitachi »

I am in desperate need of copies (preferably without ads) of both the UK and the US Original 1995 "Beatles Anthology" TV Broadcasts. I do not need the VHS/LD or DVD versions (which I have). This is for a big project I am working on. Also if anyone has the Australian TV broadcast that they can upload that would be great as well.
Also does anyone know the exact length of the episodes of the 1995 US TV broadcasts as compared to 1995 UK broadcasts (without ads) as I have read that the UK TV broadcasts were longer in total length but that seems unlikely to me but it's so long ago I can't remember this information. I've read that in the UK they were broadcast as 8 episodes and the US only as 3 eps (as they were in Australia too) so maybe the UK ones were actually longer? The US eps were 2 hrs for each one (w/ads) so probably about 75 mins for each one totalling 3hrs and 45 mins without ads. If indeed the UK did broadcast the series as 8 eps then each one (if they were the same total length of the US broadcasts) in the UK only ran for about 28 mins (without ads) so is that what actually happened? Seems weird to me.
Any precise exact info on all of this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Hitachi
Yellowsubmarine

Re: Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

Are you working on the expanded Anthology documentary?
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Yellowsubmarine wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:31 am Are you working on the expanded Anthology documentary?
Just need to compare the contents first and see how bad the quality of the footage was..doesn't look all that great on the DVD's.. us fans how better ones in a lot of cases then I'll go from there.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I can't answer this particular question but I do recall the momentum was lost by the time the 3rd episode aired in the US (too far apart as I recall).
BeatleDan

Post by BeatleDan »

i recorded them all off the tv here in the UK at the time - i seem to recall there was 6 episodes though.
(i think there was one short special relating to the release of free as a bird)

The tapes may still remain in the attic somewhere - but i have no idea where sorry. Also would not have a clue how to transfer them to laptop

But i would be shocked if someone else hasnt done that before at some point?
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

The excellent podcast Nothing Is Real is particularly strong on Anthology and Season 3 Episode 4 has more to say on this, not least that there were 6 1 hour UK episodes and that the 3 2 hour US episodes had less material to accommodate ads. It also talks about the scheduling, which was a mess.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

The running times for the original broadcast in the US on ABC-TV minus the commercials but with the billboards ("brought to you by Ford", etc.) are:

Episode 1 including the Free As A Bird tag - about 93 minutes
Episode 2 including the Real Love tag - about 93 minutes
Episode 3 - about 93 minutes

Dave in Nashville
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Still hoping someone can upload either the US or UK TV broadcast versions. I think someone did upload them years ago but they are long gone.
In the meantime I have done some further intense research and have found the correct info on the original TV broadcasts. As someone has just said the UK were indeed broadcast as 6 episodes and in the US and Australia they were broadcast as 3 episodes but it seems they all contained the same amount of material so the rumours that the UK version had more footage seem to be unfounded. Here is the correct original 1995 TV broadcast history:

"The Beatles Anthology" aired in America on the ABC Network over 3 nights on Nov 19 (Sun), 22 (Wed) & 23 (Thurs) 1995.
Each nights broadcast was 2 hours long (w/ads) at 9-11pm ET

"The Beatles Anthology" aired in Australia on the Channel 7 Network over 3 nights on Nov 22 (Wed), Nov 23 (Thurs) & Nov 24 (Fri) 1995 at 8:30-10:30pm

"The Beatles Anthology" aired in the UK on the ITV Network over 6 nights on Nov 26, Dec 3, Dec 10, Dec 17, Dec 26 & Dec 31 1995 at 8-9pm (Sundays all bar Dec 26 which was a Tuesday).

Be wary as there is quite a few sites with wrong information regarding the original TV broadcasts.
evenswr

Post by evenswr »

Hitachi wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:29 am Also if anyone has the Australian TV broadcast that they can upload that would be great as well.
Here's the Australian broadcast on SAS-7 :

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/514ETQYY#d9pBYrCjUFTdqBIOtGJYOw
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

I downloaded the TV version back in 2022 I think at least that's what the dates show. Thanks to the original uploader of these.

Anthology (TV version) 1st night (DVD)
Anthology (TV version) 2nd night (DVD)
Anthology (TV version) 3rd night (DVD)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
vlcsnap-2024-04-06-15h42m17s103.png
vlcsnap-2024-04-06-15h42m17s103.png (399.34 KiB) Viewed 1596 times