Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
alphabeatles

Re: Beatles Original Anthology TV Broadcasts

Post by alphabeatles »

TURNOPHONE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm Here is an edited version of the Aussie broadcast with the adverts cut out. Special thanks to evenswr for providing the original VHS rips.

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/VnFgGKLD#yzx6kA2K4J0fFmWQ4BLX7g
Hey, where's Captain Kirk, ha!

Thanks so much for doing this. I edit audio all the time but never video for some reason – except to trim tops and tails.

I tried using iMovie to chop the commercials out and it went well, but the output file was huge (defeating the purpose of this exercise...).
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

TURNOPHONE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm Here is an edited version of the Aussie broadcast with the adverts cut out. Special thanks to evenswr for providing the original VHS rips.

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/VnFgGKLD#yzx6kA2K4J0fFmWQ4BLX7g
Fantastic! Thank you so much. As good as the first Aussie upload was it's much nicer without the ads. Much appreciated but where is that UK Broadcast? Still waiting :)
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

Hello everyone.
I've been working out of town and have only just read this thread.
I'm surprised that nobody has come up with copies of the UK broadcast yet...
1995 was around the peak of VHS use in this country and it's the Beatles so a large number of people would have taped it and I'd have assumed that most fans would have retained their copies.

I recorded the UK broadcast on S-VHS back in the day.
I've just had a very quick look through my tapes and immediately found the one with episodes 6, 7 & 8 on it.
My other Autistic intense interest apart from the Beatles is Doctor Who (and specifically BBC continuity and trailers*), and I'm often trawling through old VHS to see what I find, so I have all the equipment ready to get them captured.
(The capture system is also regularly used for my side hustle, capturing people's VHS home movies to digital).

Episode six is in the player and being captured now. It has minutes of trailers and adverts before it which I'm including for those that like a bit of context. Quality looks pretty good so far.

If it's still needed once it's finished being captured, I'll upload it.

Pretty likely I'll be able to find the other episodes as well.

Also, I found a tape with All You Need Is Cash and various news reports from the time, Derek Taylor on Later with Jools Holland etc.
I could capture that too if there's any interest.

* if anyone has any UK off-air Doctor Who recordings of any era prior to 2018, I'd love to hear about them in a PM. :)
elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

Guru-Deva wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:08 pm * if anyone has any UK off-air Doctor Who recordings of any era prior to 2018, I'd love to hear about them in a PM. :)
Message me, I got a almost 600GB of Doctor Who Stuff. I may have some you are looking for.
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Guru-Deva wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:08 pm Hello everyone.
I've been working out of town and have only just read this thread.
I'm surprised that nobody has come up with copies of the UK broadcast yet...
1995 was around the peak of VHS use in this country and it's the Beatles so a large number of people would have taped it and I'd have assumed that most fans would have retained their copies.
I recorded the UK broadcast on S-VHS back in the day.
I've just had a very quick look through my tapes and immediately found the one with episodes 6, 7 & 8 on it.
My other Autistic intense interest apart from the Beatles is Doctor Who (and specifically BBC continuity and trailers*), and I'm often trawling through old VHS to see what I find, so I have all the equipment ready to get them captured.
(The capture system is also regularly used for my side hustle, capturing people's VHS home movies to digital).
Episode six is in the player and being captured now. It has minutes of trailers and adverts before it which I'm including for those that like a bit of context. Quality looks pretty good so far.
If it's still needed once it's finished being captured, I'll upload it. Pretty likely I'll be able to find the other episodes as well.
That's great! Any UK TV eps at the moment will be appreciated however I'm curious as the UK TV broadcasts were only for 6 eps so you can't have eps 6-8 unless they were from the DVD set. So I'm hoping you actually meant eps 4-6?? Thanks again.
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

I taped the Japanese Anthology on VHS when it was first aired. Have the tapes, but no VCR to play them.

GP
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

Hitachi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 am
That's great! Any UK TV eps at the moment will be appreciated however I'm curious as the UK TV broadcasts were only for 6 eps so you can't have eps 6-8 unless they were from the DVD set. So I'm hoping you actually meant eps 4-6?? Thanks again.

Yeah, after a quick search for the TX dates (for the sake of accurate labelling), I realised that I'd forgotten there were only six episodes on the original TV version and that the scrawled "Anthology 6,7,8" on the tape box must have been written after the DVD release and had been assumed to be 6, 7 and 8. Post Anthology DVD me made a silly assumption.

Anyway, here is AN episode.

https://www.filemail.com/d/byaxaojwxyxppob

If I've mis-labelled it, please let me know.
I haven't watched the whole thing through, but I noticed that there are some patches of head-clog. There are probably an above average number of drop-outs too. These episodes are on a Sony Vision tape, and Sony tapes were always among the worst for both of those problems in my experience.
The left hand channel is perhaps a bit quieter as well.
I haven't done anything to correct any of these minor problems as Hitachi said he just wanted copies for reference.
In the unlikely event anyone would want to use my captures for anything more, I'd give them the usual treatment (at least two full captures made and any head-clog or other problem checked between both for the best playback).

I've left all the adverts and as much surrounding continuity as was on the tape as I like plenty of context.

Unless I run into problems, 5 and 6 are on the way...
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Guru-Deva wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:13 pm

Yeah, after a quick search for the TX dates (for the sake of accurate labelling), I realised that I'd forgotten there were only six episodes on the original TV version and that the scrawled "Anthology 6,7,8" on the tape box must have been written after the DVD release and had been assumed to be 6, 7 and 8. Post Anthology DVD me made a silly assumption.

I haven't watched the whole thing through, but I noticed that there are some patches of head-clog. There are probably an above average number of drop-outs too. These episodes are on a Sony Vision tape, and Sony tapes were always among the worst for both of those problems in my experience.
I haven't done anything to correct any of these minor problems as Hitachi said he just wanted copies for reference.
In the unlikely event anyone would want to use my captures for anything more, I'd give them the usual treatment (at least two full captures made and any head-clog or other problem checked between both for the best playback).

I've left all the adverts and as much surrounding continuity as was on the tape as I like plenty of context.

Fantastic. Thanks so much and keep 'em coming :)
mce1965

Post by mce1965 »

Guru-Deva wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:13 pm

This looks really good! Hope the others are all forthcoming - thanks so much.
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

OK, I've captured part 5, but there was a major bump in the road.

Everything looked about the same as part 4 until around 37 minutes in when there was a massive head clog and the picture goes entirely.
It gradually recovers, but still isn't back to normal by the end.

I tried a second capture, but it was identical, so it looks as though the head clog happened on recording rather than on playback and that's how it is on the tape, so there's nothing that can be done.
Damn those crumbly old Sony tapes!

Here is part 5 anyway. The first 37 minutes should be OK. The last 13 minutes not so much.

https://www.filemail.com/d/tvdmdruohhysgsa

There is no continuity at the start this time (in fact the opening is slightly clipped), and no adverts. That's how it is on the tape.

1995 was the best year of my life (so far) :D - I was mostly out partying or at a girlfriend's place (yes, even on Sunday nights), so it's unlikely I was actually in the room taping the Anthology myself. Whoever taped it for me obviously didn't think they should leave the adverts in.

Let's hope for better results from part 6.