EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

I can help you out, but I cannot help you in…
CharlesHawtrey

Re: EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

Post by CharlesHawtrey »

Mike, the HMC set circulating around is likely a bad rip, every track on the set has a short silence gap (approximately 1,78sc) at their end, hence the abrupt cut at the end of each track :) So the comparison is unfair at this point, and biased IMO
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm The “extra” sound effects in the HMC release (that didn’t came from the Omega auction and there’s no information and verification from where they really came, or a photo of the Tape box etc), except for track 20 related with “Drink To Me”; lacks of any interest and could be anything
We have a photo of the tape box:
Thanks to the McCartney Legacy authors, who shared "Track 20" on YouTube a year ago.

According to them, the tape was sold by Emerick's etaste in 2021, so it might give us an idea of where HMC got their copy from (note that the HMC version is perfectly aligned with the video version, except for YouTube compression...)
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm Sound effects from EMI’s library (tracks 15-17 and 21), annoying laughs taken from a Theater play (tracks 18 and 19) whose source is a vinyl of sound effects by the way, and none linked directly with Wings.
I'm not sure how you obviously missed that parts of tracks 16 & 17 were used for the ending of Mrs. Vandebilt (some instantly recognizable laughs in there), and track 21 before the second "french break" of Picasso's Last Words...

Regarding the other sound effects, I'll be quoting the McCartney Legacy book again :
‘Jail Noises’ (guard and prisoner footsteps and a jail door slamming) and ‘Cannon Shots’ were intended for ‘Band on the Run,’
Paul’s idea being that they would give the track a measure of cinematic depth. In the end, Paul opted not to use the jailhouse sounds. Cannon shots announcing the jailbreak between the two sections of ‘Band on the Run’ also proved overly theatrical.
Therefore easy to guess the other laughter tracks were left unused.
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm For those creating reviews (without doing a real verification) in favor of one label and demining the other, the real winner for the LAGOS TAPE is clearly not HMC.
mikec wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 am As you and all can see now, HMC is not any "winner" for the Lagos tape ...
in this case is the "loser" (for those who made-up at the forums that one of the labels should be a winner, what for? to read later that the winner is actually the loser?) ...
Mike, I understand you have a privileged relationship with misterclaudel that goes way back, but you don't have to take my small post so personally, which wasn't even directed at you.
I will even say: yes, so far, misterclaudel is the best source for the Lagos mixes, and I never claimed otherwise.
Phase one in which Doris gets her oats!
mikec

Post by mikec »

THEWALRUS2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:48 pm Thank you Mike C for your analysis. Nice job!
Thank you for reading it Walrus!
mikec

Post by mikec »

CharlesHawtrey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:05 am Mike, the HMC set circulating around is likely a bad rip, every track on the set has a short silence gap (approximately 1,78sc) at their end, hence the abrupt cut at the end of each track :) So the comparison is unfair at this point, and biased IMO
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm The “extra” sound effects in the HMC release (that didn’t came from the Omega auction and there’s no information and verification from where they really came, or a photo of the Tape box etc), except for track 20 related with “Drink To Me”; lacks of any interest and could be anything
We have a photo of the tape box:
Thanks to the McCartney Legacy authors, who shared "Track 20" on YouTube a year ago.

According to them, the tape was sold by Emerick's etaste in 2021, so it might give us an idea of where HMC got their copy from (note that the HMC version is perfectly aligned with the video version, except for YouTube compression...)
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm Sound effects from EMI’s library (tracks 15-17 and 21), annoying laughs taken from a Theater play (tracks 18 and 19) whose source is a vinyl of sound effects by the way, and none linked directly with Wings.
I'm not sure how you obviously missed that parts of tracks 16 & 17 were used for the ending of Mrs. Vandebilt (some instantly recognizable laughs in there), and track 21 before the second "french break" of Picasso's Last Words...

Regarding the other sound effects, I'll be quoting the McCartney Legacy book again :
‘Jail Noises’ (guard and prisoner footsteps and a jail door slamming) and ‘Cannon Shots’ were intended for ‘Band on the Run,’
Paul’s idea being that they would give the track a measure of cinematic depth. In the end, Paul opted not to use the jailhouse sounds. Cannon shots announcing the jailbreak between the two sections of ‘Band on the Run’ also proved overly theatrical.
Therefore easy to guess the other laughter tracks were left unused.
mikec wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm For those creating reviews (without doing a real verification) in favor of one label and demining the other, the real winner for the LAGOS TAPE is clearly not HMC.
mikec wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 am As you and all can see now, HMC is not any "winner" for the Lagos tape ...
in this case is the "loser" (for those who made-up at the forums that one of the labels should be a winner, what for? to read later that the winner is actually the loser?) ...
Mike, I understand you have a privileged relationship with misterclaudel that goes way back, but you don't have to take my small post so personally, which wasn't even directed at you.
I will even say: yes, so far, misterclaudel is the best source for the Lagos mixes, and I never claimed otherwise.
Thank you Charlie for the detailed info about the Sound Effects. Another friend contacted me yesterday and told me it was sold in 2021 with these extra details, sound effects tapes from EMI's library some of them.

HMC to the rescue! But nothing against anyone directly but in general for the many times we the fans here have read "for me the clear winner is this", not evening knowing the truth about the HMC’s tapes; and some of you didn't counted that I was about to make the A/B review, that's what I do (no matter if it’s against the Lennon Estate’s releases, do a little research about my "happy encounters" with Sean and Simon H) and I don't have any privileged relationship with no one, well, maybe with Paul (I'm tired of people part of the HMC's gang always trying to make the other labels "small", specially we know which); in fact I'm more close to HMC, just ask a little bit.

Regarding your first comment: a short gap of silence? Of about less than 2 seconds, right? Is that an excuse (another one) to detract my review?. Didn’t you read that, for example, “Let Me Roll it” has FOUR seconds missing of the actual performance?, double gap of silence then, I see, gap / gap. Band on the Run has FIVE seconds missing during the middle, etc etc. MC released a more complete tape, no gap of silences between the tracks, lot of extra and real tape noises between them, period, a fact.

Not fair that HMC didn't got the full tape? That’s not fair for you? So, it is fair saying that HMC put the best set out and with the Lagos tape and the Sound Effects, and that the Japanese release is obsolete and that your friends are about to release the rest of the Emerick stuff plus Wings unheard rehearsals (oops by bad!) little by little, maybe with the 2 and 3 new tracks from Speed of Sound and London Town filled into 4 disk sets with more fan-made tracks, Youtube instrumentals and stuff already released but we will have to pay for those 2 or 3 new tracks again with the rest of the materials?. That's really unfair, not that if HMC got a "chopped", edited and processed tape and Misterclaudel the real one. The best and fair way for HMC to redeem this mistake is to release together both the "Speed" and "Town" Emerick tapes together in one single disk and then Wings rehearsals into 2 disks and that's it, but making 4 volumes for very few new tracks sounds really unfair but hey! Looking forward to it and don't worry, I'm not going to make negative comments against anyone, I don't have the need for that (others do); just let the labels do their things, and stop making that some looks good and the others bad without any real fundaments, specifically talking about the “Lagos tapes”.

The only question I have is: when you did your review of both sets, why you didn't told to all of us here, the truth. That HMC got an incomplete source compared with the other label, patched and all tracks YES ALL tracks are cut -for the Lagos tape- but instead you said "HMC wins"?, when you seemed to have both releases from both of the labels and you did a very detailed A/B against the Japanese and even knowing that the contents on the HMC release (at least 90% of the contents from both disks, the 10% left are the Sound Effects) were a)not the best source, b)incomplete and patched and c) taken from Youtube, fan made and other labels, and yet even by knowing that you said this to end your review you posted days ago:

"For me, HMC wins, and very likely their second "Unsurpassed" volume will include "Girls' School - Take 1", making claudel's set totally obselete, and likely many more incredible unheard stuff !"
(and by coincidence it has been thanked by the same people against the Japanese label and by coincidence, none of my posts and reviews showing who got the real and most complete tape have been thanked for those people lol)

I don't see in your comments in favor of HMC, that "Band on the Run" is incomplete or "Mamunia" patched very weirdly. Some honest comments man! Equality.

Let's try to fix your words here then, according to what you wrote under my post:
"Misterclaudel wins for the best source. HMC's source for the Lagos tape is a bad rip (and now obsolete after knowing that all the tracks are incomplete in some way or another)."

I know that HMC are going to release next "Girl's School Take one" from the same source who gave the label the Lagos tape, now I'm worried if we are going to get those tracks also chopped, patched, or with "cold ends".
Cheers Charlie.
Mollusk

Post by Mollusk »

Brother it's just some bootlegs ease up now, no need to be ride or die over one or the other lmao
cb70

Post by cb70 »

Mollusk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:09 pm Brother it's just some bootlegs ease up now, no need to be ride or die over one or the other lmao
Agreed. What puts me off the MCCD set is them not being transparent about the amount of outfakes. I d/l'ed the set last week so not sure if the outfakes are mentioned in the booklet or not but if they are then it should still be stated on the cover or in the info released. Misinformation spreads quickly. Like their "Maybe I'm Amazed" unedited full version, people were confused on a few forums about it's legitimacy when it's clear that mix was derived from the Atmos and 321 sources (and simple logic as well since you can hear the splice points and an artifact of Rick's voice).
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Did I miss something ? I never saw any booklet in a Misterclaudel release ...
Golem

Post by Golem »

cb70 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:26 pm
Mollusk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:09 pm Brother it's just some bootlegs ease up now, no need to be ride or die over one or the other lmao
Agreed. What puts me off the MCCD set is them not being transparent about the amount of outfakes. I d/l'ed the set last week so not sure if the outfakes are mentioned in the booklet or not but if they are then it should still be stated on the cover or in the info released. Misinformation spreads quickly. Like their "Maybe I'm Amazed" unedited full version, people were confused on a few forums about it's legitimacy when it's clear that mix was derived from the Atmos and 321 sources (and simple logic as well since you can hear the splice points and an artifact of Rick's voice).
Yeah, like its really clear they were trying to make it look like they had the other auctioned tape with london town, which is pretty deceptive
mikec

Post by mikec »

cb70 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:26 pm
Agreed. What puts me off the MCCD set is them not being transparent about the amount of outfakes.
We couldn't agree with you more

oh wait, that's from the other label, sorry my bad, and very strange that the booklet that comes with this release "omits" the detailed info about those particular tracks (but for the rest of the tracks we have a very detailed info except for the Sound Effects), all fakes, ones worst that the others .

Also this:
the only label that I know that advertise publicly this kind of lies this to increase sales. Of course NONE of the "never released in this quality before" are true, direct copies from Youtube, and other MC releases (same as their "true stereo tapes" from the past four or five releases that are all AI generated)
But yeah, we agree with you
Scavazza

Post by Scavazza »

Oh how i want to hear this material...
Hollies1965

Post by Hollies1965 »

Scavazza wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:36 pm Oh how i want to hear this material...
And me too!