EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

I can help you out, but I cannot help you in…
jpgrcat1960

Re: EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

On the HMC... nice quality, & still unreleased

12 Wide Prairie [11:37 Long Version]

14 Luxy (Radio Jingle)
15 Hello Piccadilly (Radio Jingle)
16 Proud Mum [Bread Ad]
17 Proud Mum (Reprise)

Still I need to listen more :D

& the recent 1985, 8'01 version
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

innergroove wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:51 pm Image

Here's an "Underdubbed 2" I've put together, using the latest Lagos mixes, together with a few DTS remixes I did years ago (including an 8 minute 1985). I've EQ'd where necessary, and smoothed out the levels for optimum enjoyment. The artwork is the wall used for the LP cover.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for this, the first of the remasters!

Please advise which boot source you used for each track if you will. The writeup on page one of this thread discusses the strengths and weaknesses of each.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:26 am
innergroove wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:51 pm
Here's an "Underdubbed 2" I've put together, using the latest Lagos mixes, together with a few DTS remixes I did years ago (including an 8 minute 1985). I've EQ'd where necessary, and smoothed out the levels for optimum enjoyment. The artwork is the wall used for the LP cover.

Please advise which boot source you used for each track if you will. The writeup on page one of this thread discusses the strengths and weaknesses of each.
I used the remastered "Merseyside" Disc 1 version for all Lagos tracks. The rest I mixed from 5.1 stems (+ OHC). But I'm really not entering any kind of competition.
P.S I've tweaked the last track (Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five) slightly since first upload. Please download that one track and replace old one.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

innergroove wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 am
alphabeatles wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:26 am
innergroove wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:51 pm

I used the remastered "Merseyside" Disc 1 version for all Lagos tracks. The rest I mixed from 5.1 stems (+ OHC). But I'm really not entering any kind of competition.
P.S I've tweaked the last track (Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five) slightly since first upload. Please download that one track and replace old one.
Thanks, your version sounds great! I haven't yet A/B/C'd it with the others in detail (such is the nature of this new stuff!) but yours is the only one that got moved into the final collection thus far ;-)
mikec

Post by mikec »

Thank you TAKRL, first of all, the advert coming from the “Merseyside” label was sadly a misleading one: “The Merseyside label has obtained the original raw material and carefully converted it to CD.”
THANKS to our anonymous collector for the help on this quick new review! First of all, the “Lagos Tape” that went to auction, was also in possession of many private collectors before, so, multiple options for who or whom were the ones who leak it to the Bootleggers, some in a “butchering” version.

As expected, the whole ‘Lagos tape’ (especially CD 2 which has the -according to them- "Unprocessed version"-) on the “Merseyside” Bootleg is completely altered if you compare it with the Youtube samples of the original tape in terms of speed; which in this case, both HMC and MC matches exactly (except for “Mamunia” and “Band on the Run” on details that were already posted under my main review, but I was given extra details to make a proper and longer review for The Daily Beatle thanks to a generous anonymous collector, but I really don't think it will be necessary) with the the speed of the original tape at the Youtube samples, meaning these two labels got an accurate copy of the ACTUAL tape in terms of speed; not a manipulated one (the “Merseyside” Bootleg), decreasing the speed of all tracks (not matching any of the Youtube samples coming from the original tape and auction), especially "Band on the Run" that they decreased the speed of the version they got, to match nearly the 5:20 mark that was listed at the OMEGA auction (theirs is 5:18) –maybe because they saw us discussing this particular issue here some weeks ago-; but they got the same "edited" or “cropped” version (5:14, released by HMC as the person who leaked it first to the Bootlegers could have made that cut to keep something for himself –info suggested by our private collector which confirmed us that there’s no cut on the tape, as I publicly requested if someone with the full tape could help us verifying this issue and mainly because with this cut between parts 1 and 2, the track does not match the 5:20 mark listed under the OMEGA site for the auction- .

So, at first, it seems that the Merseyside label got the same dub that HMC, but longer (more tape noise between songs) with the tracks in full at the end and they simply changed the speed 2-3 seconds slower on “Band on the Run” and 1 second slower or half a second aprox on the rest of the tracks (deeper review needs to be made of course); however, it seems that the same source who leaked this tape to the Bootleggers made a THIRD (or Fourth) dub for the “Merseyside” label as there’s another inconsistence not only with the speed of ALL tracks, but with the intro for one track: Band On The Run.
On the original Youtube Sample and both HMC and MC Bootlegs, right at the beginning we can hear tape noise and then the tape re-starting to record with a guitar-sound warming up coming in; however, the Merseyside bootleg has in between the tape noise and the guitar, a “click” or glitch or noise on their version that we can amplify to see it more clearly:

Spectrograms are more useful to verify this. I have lined them all up all the available recordings I have:
1-HMC, 2- Misterclaudel (MC), 3- The Omega auction sample and, 4-Merserside. We can see that HMC is the most incomplete version of them all, with less tape noise at the beginning not just for this track (and also all the songs cut at the end), and we can see clearly the audio noise/ glitch on the Merseyside label and also the speed starting to mismatch from the other three, starting at the 3.7 micro seconds:

So, it seems the Merseyside Boot is a copy of a copy and this glitch appeared while copying it and not part of the original tape, which I requested to verify this exact issue and here is a screen capture amplifying the sound at this exact fragment as per my request, the end of “Mamunia” and the intro for “Band on the Run”, taken from an unedited Lago’s copy. There is no click or noise or glitch, all the amplified field is mere tape noise according to our collector right before the guitar sound starting:

All the tapes, specially the Merseyside Bootleg needs a deeper exploration to maybe find more issues on his tape, however, thanks to our donor, with what the Merseyside label tried to sell his product: “The Merseyside label has obtained the original raw material and carefully converted it to CD”, was a mere marketing trick. Here is a screen sample of the real raw tape and according to our collector, these are the first 16 seconds of the Emerick Lagos tape right before McCartney can be heard say “Three, Four” at the start of “Mamunia”; and what he describes are four different noises (tape noise right from the start, the tape machine starting to record, the level of tape noise increasing while the transfer with “Mamunia” was about to start, and another “tape click”) while Emerick was transferring the original Rough Mix of this song to his compilation tape.
From these 16 seconds, only TWO can be heard on Misterclaudel and Merseyside right before the “Three, Four” count-in, and ONE second on the Youtube’s Omega Sample. HMC starts directly without any previous tape noise of “hiss”. So, at this point, MC and Merseyside matches not only the start of “Mamunia” but also both doesn’t have the “patch” at 1:09 that HMC did.

Another theory is that Merseyside copied the materials from both HMC and MC and made a copy of their own, fixing , for example the volume levels uplifted at some intros on the Misterclaudel tape, because if Merseyside got the “raw tape” why it starts exactly at the same point as MC when the raw tape has more extra bits before the count-in?. If we speed up Mamunia on the Merseyside, at roughly +0.400, it matches MC both audio and in graphics of the performance, but no HMC, which has the audio of the performance slightly uplifted except at the very end while the song is fading out that do matches with Merseyside and mismatch with MC. Merseyside Boot could be a “patch” of two or three sources put together but definitely not in accordance with the original tape:

The Times for TAPE 1 of “THE LAGOS TAPE” are:
1-The official info posted by OMEGA, Tape 1 (R243A) of the Lagos Tape, runs 30 minutes (including tape noise at the start and the end and in between songs) including SIX songs (TAPE 2 is the one that includes the seventh: “Drink To Me” and we are not counting that).

2-Our collector has giving us a time of 29 minutes and 57 seconds for the total of this tape, matching pretty much the info coming from OMEGA.

3-HMC Bootleg Tape 1 (tracks 1-6) which has one second at the beginning and two to four seconds on some tracks of DEAD silence which we are not counting in, with extra three seconds that they added to Mamunia, runs 27:52. AT THE RIGHT SPEED comparing the tracks with the SAMPLE clips.

4-MC (tracks 1-8 as they divided two false starts as a separate track) runs 28:32 with continuous sound track after track. AT THE RIGHT SPEED comparing the tracks with the SAMPLE clips. Which means MC is missing 1 minute and 25 seconds of tape noise/Emerick’s clicks at the start etc, but still, is the longer of all tapes so far.

3-While the Merseyside Bootleg TAPE 1 (or tracks 1- 6) runs 28:33 (but they slowed down ALL of their tracks, some slower than others) with continuous sound, track after track but at the WRONG SPEED.

For the ones implying that one of the sources could be a demix (same as the ones implying that “No Words” and “Let Me Roll It” on the MC bootleg were ATMOS mixes and not the actual Emerick tapes), all of the sources we have, including MC, are definitely not demixes, but dubs from one of maybe two/three different copies of the same tape, each one with some EQ trickery on their tracks (for example, all the performances on HMC were slightly uplifted on the volume, you can see the graphic levels for all songs reaching the borders, peaking at some points; while MC, Youtube Omega Sample and Merseyside are in the middle not peaking loud volume on any song. The dialogues that are slightly uplifted with MC, are fixed with Merseyside).

Now, let’s wait for the Fourth, Fifth, etc versions until we reach a better one.
Last edited by mikec on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cmi

Post by cmi »

Mike, thanks a lot for this deep analisys.
Hopefully the fourth one (HMC Unsurpassed Vol.1 Extra) will be the best one to keep.
mikec

Post by mikec »

cmi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 am Mike, thanks a lot for this deep analisys.
Hopefully the fourth one (HMC Unsurpassed Vol.1 Extra) will be the best one to keep.
The HMC people (dealers) told us that the "Extra" edition under his name is a fake-HMC title released by DAP in Japan (formerly known as SGT LABEL), which has the same version as the original HMC release, so, sadly won't be any improvement or fuller tape but a copy of the most incomplete one to date.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Thought I'd take a crack at it.

Available for 7 days.
hxxps://we.tl/t-Muu055hOSd

Sources used:
Merseyside's BOTR Lagos Tapes (CD2/CD1)
Ultimate Archive Collection

Tracks have been re-EQ'd from the unprocessed version and patched accordingly using the remastered version. Underdubbed tracks have also been re-EQ'd. Includes two remastered tracks taken from the Ultimate Archive Collection.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
CharlesHawtrey

Post by CharlesHawtrey »

RalseiDeltarune wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:46 pm Thought I'd take a crack at it.

Available for 7 days.

Sources used:

Tracks have been re-EQ'd from the unprocessed version and patched accordingly using the remastered version. Underdubbed tracks have also been re-EQ'd. Includes two remastered tracks taken from the Ultimate Archive Collection.
How about "Underunderdubbed" ;)
Phase one in which Doris gets her oats!
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

RalseiDeltarune wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:46 pm Thought I'd take a crack at it.

Available for 7 days.

Sources used:

Forgot to mention; I also included the sound effects that are also present on the tape! They are in a dedicated folder, tagged and ready to go.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649