EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

I can help you out, but I cannot help you in…
alphabeatles

Re: EMERICK LAGOS TAPE HMC VS MISTERCLAUDEL

Post by alphabeatles »

Now that the constipation of these discs has passed (thank you to those involved!), maybe our resident experts can cobble together a proper and definitive version of this material.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

alphabeatles wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 pm Now that the constipation of these discs has passed (thank you to those involved!), maybe our resident experts can cobble together a proper and definitive version of this material.
... which I'm certain will be then quickly booted by yet another label! Or, who knows, might become part of some grand 4-cd set called, "Kitchen Sink Band on the Run Emerick Tapes-- The Essential and the Essentially Unessential."

lol :lol:
Joker

Post by Joker »

I've just received my silver-pressed CDs of Misterclaudel's version. I loved the first two discs, they are fantastic. But am I right in saying that the third disc is made up only of isolated and useless atmos channels?
Golem

Post by Golem »

Joker wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 pm I've just received my silver-pressed CDs of Misterclaudel's version. I loved the first two discs, they are fantastic. But am I right in saying that the third disc is made up only of isolated and useless atmos channels?
discs 2 and 3 are yes
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thank you so much !
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

I've chosen to remove the posted links until the atmos extractions can be verified as not-official. My PMs are open if anyone has further details before I'm able to validate myself.

If the bootleggers have added these in order to help prevent them being posted, well played. :D
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

I'm not an audio expert, but could it be possible (since there are some D.Atmos mixes (and isolations) on the Misterclaudel set) that they could have remastered the Lagos tapes using demix ?
It sounds somehow more crisp and clear on Misterclaudel, but lacks a bit of "natural" sound tape like the HMC release (they did correct a few things on "Band On The Run" for instance); The sound quality is warmer and bass bombastic on the HMC; you can tell the dynamic is there when you are some sudden drum-fills coming up on "Band On The Run" or "Mrs Vandebilt".
At last, we hear now the "Lagos" atmosphere; "Words" is magnificent, very George Harrisonesque, and I love the Mrs Vandebilt "oh! Hey ho!" reprise with the bombastic bass.
Whilst, "Picasso's Last Word" sounds even like a little musical suite like Brian Wilson did on "Smile". Paul should have kept the whistling part because it sounds really great.

The instrumentals on the HMC are cool, even though everybody can do it (reminds me the isolations I did using rear or front channels of the Quadraphonic 8-track mix); I particularly enjoyed "Bluebird". Somehow there is a little bit of "Jet" which reminds me "Good Morning, Good Morning".

That said, once you find the D.Atmos mix of an album, you need also a good software and a bit of imagination and creativity to do what Misterclaudel did with the D.Atmos isolations/mixes.

Now that we have the "sound effects" isolations, did someone ID the French station (AM probably) of the speech ? And who is talking ? This is not a famous French radio speaker, this is more like a man who is talking about tourism (guide Michelin perhaps ?). This is still cryptic like the radio part on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.
I don't know what Paul intended to do with this radio part because it does not mean anything about Picasso or the meaning of the song except that it's someone speaking in French. I wonder why he choose particularly this non-sense part.
TAKRL

Post by TAKRL »

I got 2CDs on the Merseyside label version and have ripped them from two discs.
These tracks do not contain Dolby Atmos material.

hxxps://we.tl/t-UVSRpOno6r

PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS - BAND ON THE RUN: THE GEOFF EMERICK TAPES (2CD) [Merseyside 011]
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

Thank you.

GP
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thanks very much!