Has anyone watched Birth Of The Beatles on amazon?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
silver_2000

Re: Has anyone watched Birth Of The Beatles on amazon?

Post by silver_2000 »

fabwill wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:34 pm
fab4gear wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:37 pm These are the 4 different versions that I have in MP4.
These are just some of the differences from the first few minutes only.

MP4 V1
American Commentary on Blue Background
She Loves You/ Mickey Mouse start is there
George steals a chip (French Fry) & Paul's swearing is there
Nude scene is cut out completely, even the Beatles running down the staircase is cut out & it goes straight to outside of the Cathedral.

MP4 V2
English Commentary on Black Background
She Loves You/Mickey Mouse start is missing
George steals a chip (French Fry) & Paul's swearing is missing
Nude scene is partially cut out (No front frontal of nude)

MP4 V3
Nude scene is complete.

MP4 V4
USA Adverts are there
Nude scene is completely cut, except for where the Beatles run down the staircase.

These are the 4 different versions that I have in MP4.

These are just some of the differences from the first few minutes only.
Thanks for that - all downloaded
Just to add a couple of other elements - the closing music for the credits and length:

V1 - an instrumental version of My Bonnie using a lot of brass, over white titles on a black background. 1:36:01 long
V2 - She Loves You, presumably by Rain as the Beatles, over 'concert' footage 1:31:25 long
V3 - She Loves You , as above 1:39:22 long
V4 - same as V2 and 3 1:36:25 long

OK, so the version on Amazon Prime is a 5th version and has:
English narration against black background
It opens with She Loves You being played at a gig, which is different to your V1, where She Loves You plays over Liverpool from the air and is after the Mickey Mouse comment
The Mickey Mouse comment is there, and in this version, that is after SLY
After that, we get My Bonnie over Liverpool from above
In all the versions you've shared, and this one, while the camera is overhead, Paul or George say 'say something Johnny, say something' and John says 'I'll say something very nice, knickers'
George steals a chip and Paul says 'you won't be able to scratch yer ar$e'
The nude scene seems to be entirely intact - same as your V3
Closing music, the instrumental My Bonnie, but over 'concert' footage
1:41:27 long

The Nimbus BBC 1994 version has:
No narration, although there is a BBC continuity announcer
She Loves You being played at a gig
The Mickey Mouse comment
My Bonnie over Liverpool from above
The preamble to 'knickers' is virtually inaudible, but 'knickers' can be heard clearly!
George steals a chip and Paul says 'you won't be able to scratch yer ar$e'
Nude scene is intact
Closing music, the instrumental My Bonnie, but over 'concert' footage
1:41:17 long

So my guess is the Prime version is the same as the BBC 1994 one (which must have come from an 'official' source), but judging by the 'knickers' thing, maybe the audio track is better on Prime. In looking at these versions all together, the Prime has clearly had some restoration - colours have certainly been boosted and some kind of AI has been used to clean up. While it doesn't look great, and has definitely been cropped, on reflection it looks much better than I'd thought.
is the Nimbus BBC version in the google drive link? or no, never seen She Loves You being played at a gig. Remember one being shown over crowd shot and then in a car with cyn, but not actually the guys lip syncing to it.
Qwazi

Post by Qwazi »

Forgot how badly these need to be speed corrected. SLY sounds like Chipmunk Beatles
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

silver_2000 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:05 am is the Nimbus BBC version in the google drive link? or no, never seen She Loves You being played at a gig. Remember one being shown over crowd shot and then in a car with cyn, but not actually the guys lip syncing to it.
The Nimbus BBC version is in the 2 we transfer links I posted. But it is what you described - She Loves You being played in the background while a crowd goes wild (at what looks like is meant to be a gig to me, although you don't see the band on stage) then followed by them in a car with Cyn.
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

Thanks You very much fabwill!
This is the most complete version that I have ever seen & the quality is much better than any others as well!
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Qwazi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 am Plus I’ve always been fascinated by the thought that John could have seen this. I don’t know of him ever referencing it, and he probably didn’t - but he COULD have.
I wonder if he did see it. After all, he watched The Rutles film.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:05 am So is this a legit offering or has someone just literally uploaded their old tape of the BBC showing with some AI adjustments? I find it hard to believe it is legit when it's not for sale on Itunes or any other platform. It sounds like a grey area release to me without any involvement from the producers and no access to the master print.

Let's not forget that Amazon are STILL selling the "Stuart Sutcliffe" version of Love Me tender by The Boston Show Band, and that sure as hell is as dodgy as they come.
If someone uploaded an old tape with some AI adjustments, then my take is it would probably look a lot like that Prime version. Not washed out, more colourful that some of the versions we have, but certainly not from a master print. (If it helps, in my abortive efforts to download it, it was 720x480 at 25fps, but didn't look that sharp.)

The part that makes no sense to me though is cropping to 4:3. That hasn't been something you'd do for something like 20 years now?
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:48 am
Qwazi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 am Plus I’ve always been fascinated by the thought that John could have seen this. I don’t know of him ever referencing it, and he probably didn’t - but he COULD have.
I wonder if he did see it. After all, he watched The Rutles film.
If he saw it and didn't like it, you'd imagine we might know. It seems that George saw it and didn't like it.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

My attempt at 'remastering' this old movie, used the Smile DVD posted above just because I thought it looked the best

I upscaled it, then resized to 1080, so sorry if you hate those black bars ! I also color corrected to remove a sorta green tint..

This is just the "I Want To Hold Your Hand" Ed Sullivan scene. If some of you dig it, might do more of the movie, but to be clear, if I do, will use less a.i, this was merely a test. Its also poorly lip synced, could fix that if I wanted to, just only one second or so behind.

hxxps://we.tl/t-sMynBlgjOn
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

silver_2000 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:59 pm My attempt at 'remastering' this old movie, used the Smile DVD posted above just because I thought it looked the best

I upscaled it, then resized to 1080, so sorry if you hate those black bars ! I also color corrected to remove a sorta green tint..

This is just the "I Want To Hold Your Hand" Ed Sullivan scene. If some of you dig it, might do more of the movie, but to be clear, if I do, will use less a.i, this was merely a test. Its also poorly lip synced, could fix that if I wanted to, just only one second or so behind.

hxxps://we.tl/t-sMynBlgjOn
This looks PHENOMENAL. Yes please.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

I’m all in for a remastered version!