Best "Nowhere Man" Remix?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
NowhereFan

Best "Nowhere Man" Remix?

Post by NowhereFan »

britt2001b released this on YouTube yesterday. Here is his description:
I aimed to enhance the intricate three-part harmony vocals. Unlike previous versions, including Giles Martin's 2023 remix, where voices melded beautifully but lacked distinction, my mix carves out individual space for Paul, John, and George. Paul's voice shines from the left, John's holds center stage, and George's echoes from the right. I've also amped up Ringo's drum performance, unlocking a newfound tightness and richness. This simple tweak injects a fresh burst of energy into the recording! Plus, I've elevated the lead guitar break, paying homage to its original punch as heard in the U.S. Capitol single mono version from 1966.
It may be my new favorite. I like being able to distinguish the voices, in a This Boy sort of way. My favorites up till now were ScottAlan's and Tex's mixes: both from Nov. 2023.They did the vocals similarly, but George's voice seems to be a bit buried. ScottAlan has the rhythm guitar in the left channel; Tex has it in the middle. Tex's drum loudness level is more like the original recording, whereas ScottAlan increased its volume (my own preference for this song). britt follows ScottAlan there (even slightly louder), but brings in a more "democratic" left-center-right vocal spread and a punchy, loud bass that to some might be over the top.

A matter of taste, of course. To each his or her own! I think it maybe comes down to how one perceives the song: as a light rocker, or as more of a folksy-pop song, which was the big thing at the time it was made (Dylan / Byrds / Simon & Garfunkel). It's pure Lennon, whatever one thinks. This song is so great, I submit that perhaps it should be heard in conceptually different versions (somewhat like listening in mono and stereo). Here it is:

But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
NowhereFan

Re: Best "Nowhere Man" Remix?

Post by NowhereFan »

He does a killer People Got to Be Free by the Rascals, too. Now there's a song that has richly deserved a great remix all these years since '68.
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
jpa

Post by jpa »

This is indeed a good one, with nicely separated vocals, although I am missing the very trebly tone of the guitar in the original 1965 mix, and I do not love the enhanced drums. There have been several really good ones in this forum as well, including multiple by Bombers and Tex, as well as LR, and also prof. Stoned's version is a keeper. But as recently discussed here viewtopic.php?t=8985 it appears difficult to find the right combination of vocals and 1965 trebly guitar.
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

This sounds great, of course that is coming from a drummer...that being said this makes it sound a little more contemporary and why not. I am enjoying all your mixes-very adventurous which is what I hoped for in Giles mixes.

Thank you for sharing and keep em coming,
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

You're very welcome; thanks!
Tex

Post by Tex »

Is that based on Gile's mix with the out of sync hi-hat?

The best un-Giles source to work from would be the fantastic sounding "Yellow Submarine" DVD stems. That gives you a discrete instrumental track and two very clean un-distorted vocal tracks. The sound quality of those stems are actually superior to the actual CD mix in my opinion. The remixers actually highlighted the fact they were able to add mild distortion to the vocals to make them sound more vintage. Thanks guys. The only thing is you have to fix the ending (because the movie FX fade in) with an edit into any stereo mix but that's elementary.
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

He mentioned Giles, but didn't say that he derived his mix from him. I take it that you used those DVD stems? If not, I hope you do!
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank you