WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
masterjedi

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by masterjedi »

iPanggo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:26 am
masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:08 am Hey WR team, congrats on this monumental task.
If I may, A suggestion, and a critique:
Instead of disparaging the great effort of those who came before you, you might instead thank those who devoted so much time and expertise on which you built your incredible efforts. Doug Sulpy and Purple Chick deserve much praise in making sense of the mountain of material that has been gifted to us. I'm hopeful that the notes contain your sources, and that you were able to use cliftdean74's rips for the majority of the set.
And now to the critique. In an effort to determine if all of the hubris in this and several other threads is merited, I downloaded your "no wider" January 2 installment. I'm noticing several instances of the volume being boosted significantly, which is your artistic license of course, but immediately preceding (and often following) these volume (and drastic noise) boosts, the audio goes from mono to a bizarre stereo where it repeats itself and the channels are out-of-sync and echoey. Take for example the end of your track 14 of Jan 2. Comparing with the source material, Day By Day Roll 1A, there is a click, and then then a short quieter passage. In yours, that click happens, then repeats again, and then again a third time, and by different amounts in each channel.
Hi Masterjedi. Thanks for the suggestion and the critique as well :)
I wanna mention that I hope my message doesn't get misunderstood. I'm not disrespecting anyone, I appreciate all of the work done by Purple Chick, Doug Sulpy, and dumbchops as well. Without them, of course, this set wouldn't be reality, they basically cleared the way in a time where there pretty much wasn't any concrete information on these sessions (or the tapes) at all.
About the boosted snippets in stereo:
It's a sort-of mistake.
It often happens in the Nagras (in the beginning and end of each roll), that the first and last second of the audio get recorded in a really quiet way, about 20/25dBs less than the normal audio. As a result, these bits are quite noisy as well.
I isolated those little bits of every Nagra and processed them with ERA5, some EQ and boosted the volume...and I left the stereo wider on the track. I noticed that the wider helped to bring out the actual contents of the audio due to its messing with the mid/side channels. I understand that this might be very annoying to purists who downloaded the no wider version. I should say that I was aware of this, but I didn't think that this would bother people. Of course, now I do. I can say that I'm sorry, if people are complaining, I will make a patch fixing this sort-of mistake. Anyway, thanks for understanding.
Looking through the notes, it's spectacular that you have all the sources listed. It provides a great reference to all of us who like to collect all the original sources.

Aside from not being able to get the original audio back because of the widening, the bigger problem with that particular section of Jan 2 track 14 is the fact that a short section of the audio is repeated, so the quiet section is delayed in time. I checked a few other instances of the boosting/widening and they are not like that, so maybe you want to take a look at that instance.

Also, just looking at a couple of the multitracks I found these issues:
23.66 dropouts at the end from declicking. Might be best to go back to the original Imp release and use a better declicker, or use the MasterJedi release which has a less destructive declicker (and is more complete, BTW).
24:25 is missing a bit of audio between the cut from Day By Day to the multitrack at 1:16.9
kvrkjb123

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by kvrkjb123 »

iPanggo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:15 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm
kvrkjb123 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 am Thank you for this incredible collection!!
Just an observation however from a non technical audio person, but I happened to notice the Normal edition contains (1598 files 24.7gb) while the No Wider Edition contains (1597 files 17.4gb)? I just assumed they would be the same size. Is it a FLAC compression thing?
Both versions have 1598 files.
Oh, amazing, for a moment I thought the upload didn't go through correctly.
[/quote

My bad. I looked using widows explorer, and for some reason it said 1597, but looking at it in my server browser, its says 1598. Must be a glitch on my PC or something. Sorry for the confusion
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:51 pm
masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:08 am Hey WR team, congrats on this monumental task.
Instead of disparaging the great effort of those who came before you, you might instead thank those who devoted so much time and expertise on which you built your incredible efforts. Doug Sulpy and Purple Chick deserve much praise in making sense of the mountain of material that has been gifted to us. I'm hopeful that the notes contain your sources, and that you were able to use cliftdean74's rips for the majority of the set.
And now to the critique. In an effort to determine if all of the hubris in this and several other threads is merited, I downloaded your "no wider" January 2 installment. I'm noticing several instances of the volume being boosted significantly, which is your artistic license of course, but immediately preceding (and often following) these volume (and drastic noise) boosts, the audio goes from mono to a bizarre stereo where it repeats itself and the channels are out-of-sync and echoey. Take for example the end of your track 14 of Jan 2. Comparing with the source material, Day By Day Roll 1A, there is a click, and then then a short quieter passage. In yours, that click happens, then repeats again, and then again a third time, and by different amounts in each channel.
I wanna mention that I hope my message doesn't get misunderstood. I'm not disrespecting anyone, I appreciate all of the work done by Purple Chick, Doug Sulpy, and dumbchops as well. Without them, of course, this set wouldn't be reality, they basically cleared the way in a time where there pretty much wasn't any concrete information on these sessions (or the tapes) at all.
It's a sort-of mistake.
It often happens in the Nagras (in the beginning and end of each roll), that the first and last second of the audio get recorded in a really quiet way, about 20/25dBs less than the normal audio. As a result, these bits are quite noisy as well.
I isolated those little bits of every Nagra and processed them with ERA5, some EQ and boosted the volume...and I left the stereo wider on the track. I noticed that the wider helped to bring out the actual contents of the audio due to its messing with the mid/side channels. I understand that this might be very annoying to purists who downloaded the no wider version. I should say that I was aware of this, but I didn't think that this would bother people. Of course, now I do. I can say that I'm sorry, if people are complaining, I will make a patch fixing this sort-of mistake. Anyway, thanks for understanding.
Looking through the notes, it's spectacular that you have all the sources listed. It provides a great reference to all of us who like to collect all the original sources.

Aside from not being able to get the original audio back because of the widening, the bigger problem with that particular section of Jan 2 track 14 is the fact that a short section of the audio is repeated, so the quiet section is delayed in time. I checked a few other instances of the boosting/widening and they are not like that, so maybe you want to take a look at that instance.

23.66 dropouts at the end from declicking. Might be best to go back to the original Imp release and use a better declicker, or use the MasterJedi release which has a less destructive declicker (and is more complete, BTW).
24:25 is missing a bit of audio between the cut from Day By Day to the multitrack at 1:16.9
Huh, thanks for noticing and reporting these oversights! I will look through all of this and, if necessary, make a patch soon enough
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
Nowhere Man9091

Post by Nowhere Man9091 »

Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle! What any amazing piece of work. The time and patience put in to this project is unbelievable. I barely had the patience to download it all. We’ll never have a better set than this. It sure isn’t coming from aapple. A million thanks!
Who’s that little old man?
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

I took a look at a couple more multis.
26.41 the cut from Rockin' Reel to the SDE is late (at 10:24), and the sources are not speed matched.
26.43 the Furmanek mix has a notch filter applied in both channels, but it's not really necessary in the left channel, and misses getting rid of the 16kHz in the right channel. Rockin' Reel has some phasing going on, and the edit at 2:13 is too soon.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Thanks to all for this MASSIVE work!!!!
Cheers
Mike
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:30 pm I took a look at a couple more multis.
26.41 the cut from Rockin' Reel to the SDE is late (at 10:24), and the sources are not speed matched.
26.43 the Furmanek mix has a notch filter applied in both channels, but it's not really necessary in the left channel, and misses getting rid of the 16kHz in the right channel. Rockin' Reel has some phasing going on, and the edit at 2:13 is too soon.
I guess I can improve all of this edits, my bad. Patch coming out soon?
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:51 pm
It's a sort-of mistake.

I actually love all the sources we put on this. My favourite one is the Watching Rainbows LP of 1979. I knew from liner notes in Get Back Journals that was the source of the A Quick One While She's away performance. When we got hands on a rip on it we noticed it had 2 EXTRA SECONDS!!!! We were literally celebrating a lot for just 2 seconds!!! It shows a lot the passion we have for this project
steepien

Post by steepien »

There's an error in 26.01 Isn't It a Pity as well. The ending uses a combination of the edited ending from Let It Roll and the extended ending from the Get Back doc, which results in the final 2 notes appearing twice. The Get Back doc should be used instead for the unaltered ending

Also, what's the reasoning for putting it at the beginning of the 26th instead of at the end of the 25th? I'm sure stuff like that will be explained in the completed booklet but I'm just curious. :)
this is a serious message! to everybody reading my signature!

i want to tell you to check out my thread! peace and love peace and love <3
viewtopic.php?t=4823
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

steepien wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 pm There's an error in 26.01 Isn't It a Pity as well. The ending uses a combination of the edited ending from Let It Roll and the extended ending from the Get Back doc, which results in the final 2 notes appearing twice. The Get Back doc should be used instead for the unaltered ending

Also, what's the reasoning for putting it at the beginning of the 26th instead of at the end of the 25th? I'm sure stuff like that will be explained in the completed booklet but I'm just curious. :)
We actually done a lot of research on this and Peter Jackson also thinks it happenned at the very beginning of the 26th.