WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
iPanggo

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by iPanggo »

masterjedi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:08 am Hey WR team, congrats on this monumental task.
If I may, A suggestion, and a critique:
Instead of disparaging the great effort of those who came before you, you might instead thank those who devoted so much time and expertise on which you built your incredible efforts. Doug Sulpy and Purple Chick deserve much praise in making sense of the mountain of material that has been gifted to us. I'm hopeful that the notes contain your sources, and that you were able to use cliftdean74's rips for the majority of the set.
And now to the critique. In an effort to determine if all of the hubris in this and several other threads is merited, I downloaded your "no wider" January 2 installment. I'm noticing several instances of the volume being boosted significantly, which is your artistic license of course, but immediately preceding (and often following) these volume (and drastic noise) boosts, the audio goes from mono to a bizarre stereo where it repeats itself and the channels are out-of-sync and echoey. Take for example the end of your track 14 of Jan 2. Comparing with the source material, Day By Day Roll 1A, there is a click, and then then a short quieter passage. In yours, that click happens, then repeats again, and then again a third time, and by different amounts in each channel.
Hi Masterjedi. Thanks for the suggestion and the critique as well :)
I wanna mention that I hope my message doesn't get misunderstood. I'm not disrespecting anyone, I appreciate all of the work done by Purple Chick, Doug Sulpy, and dumbchops as well. Without them, of course, this set wouldn't be reality, they basically cleared the way in a time where there pretty much wasn't any concrete information on these sessions (or the tapes) at all.
About the boosted snippets in stereo:
It's a sort-of mistake.
It often happens in the Nagras (in the beginning and end of each roll), that the first and last second of the audio get recorded in a really quiet way, about 20/25dBs less than the normal audio. As a result, these bits are quite noisy as well.
I isolated those little bits of every Nagra and processed them with ERA5, some EQ and boosted the volume...and I left the stereo wider on the track. I noticed that the wider helped to bring out the actual contents of the audio due to its messing with the mid/side channels. I understand that this might be very annoying to purists who downloaded the no wider version. I should say that I was aware of this, but I didn't think that this would bother people. Of course, now I do. I can say that I'm sorry, if people are complaining, I will make a patch fixing this sort-of mistake. Anyway, thanks for understanding.
Last edited by iPanggo on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
iPanggo

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by iPanggo »

kvrkjb123 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 am Thank you for this incredible collection!!
Just an observation however from a non technical audio person, but I happened to notice the Normal edition contains (1598 files 24.7gb) while the No Wider Edition contains (1597 files 17.4gb)? I just assumed they would be the same size. Is it a FLAC compression thing?
It is a FLAC compression thing indeed. I wonder why (according to your stats) the No Wider version is missing a file... I did double-check, and it should be all good with no missing tracks, that's strange..
Petsounds1966x

Post by Petsounds1966x »

Great work! But I am curious - both sets of cover artwork skip from Day 10 to Day 12? Just wanted to see if I’m misunderstanding something or if it’s just a flub.
MCYC2021

Post by MCYC2021 »

Oh, come on! This is really greeeeat! Thanks a lot!!!
I used to run a blog ... http://mychaosandcreation.blogspot.com but I got tired 😳
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

Petsounds1966x wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 am Great work! But I am curious - both sets of cover artwork skip from Day 10 to Day 12? Just wanted to see if I’m misunderstanding something or if it’s just a flub.
It's made on purpose. Day 11 is supposed to be January 20th. However, it hasn't got any recordings (the test tape isn't confirmed to be from that day) and we decided to simply skip it on the artwork.
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

Thanks a lot for your awesome work
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

iPanggo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm But there's more! We're working on a full day-by-day analysis of the sessions, along the lines of the Doug Sulpy book. Our original plans were to release the set with this analysis included, however, we never finished it in time, as it was extremely time consuming.
The day-by-day analysis, along with a few audio extras and much more, will come out as updates to the set in the future.
We're ready to make history.
~the WR team
I think this web can help you in this job

http://getbacksessions.blogspot.com/
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

enriquelu wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am
iPanggo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm But there's more! We're working on a full day-by-day analysis of the sessions, along the lines of the Doug Sulpy book. Our original plans were to release the set with this analysis included, however, we never finished it in time, as it was extremely time consuming.
The day-by-day analysis, along with a few audio extras and much more, will come out as updates to the set in the future.
We're ready to make history.
~the WR team
I think this web can help you in this job

http://getbacksessions.blogspot.com/
I consulted your website a lot while compiling the audio, I even put you on the special thanks, this definetly helped a lot :)
jpgrcat1960

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

I was listening to the Normal mix of 2 Jan [2 1/2 hours],
& first 72 tracks of 3 Jan & will finish this later today

Very impressive to me, more fuller sound :D
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

A million thanks for this-just amazing. I surprised how much I enjoyed the stereo mix-it just sounded more exciting.

What a project you all created!