WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
steepien

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by steepien »

Debbiebootleg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 pm
steepien wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 pm There's an error in 26.01 Isn't It a Pity as well. The ending uses a combination of the edited ending from Let It Roll and the extended ending from the Get Back doc, which results in the final 2 notes appearing twice. The Get Back doc should be used instead for the unaltered ending

Also, what's the reasoning for putting it at the beginning of the 26th instead of at the end of the 25th? I'm sure stuff like that will be explained in the completed booklet but I'm just curious. :)
We actually done a lot of research on this and Peter Jackson also thinks it happenned at the very beginning of the 26th.
Well yes I figured there was some research to back it up lol, I was just wondering what the findings were exactly
this is a serious message! to everybody reading my signature!

i want to tell you to check out my thread! peace and love peace and love <3
viewtopic.php?t=4823
Debbiebootleg

Re: WATCHING RAINBOWS - THE ULTIMATE GET BACK SESSIONS REMASTER (release thread)

Post by Debbiebootleg »

steepien wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:07 pm
Debbiebootleg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 pm
steepien wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 pm There's an error in 26.01 Isn't It a Pity as well. The ending uses a combination of the edited ending from Let It Roll and the extended ending from the Get Back doc, which results in the final 2 notes appearing twice. The Get Back doc should be used instead for the unaltered ending

Also, what's the reasoning for putting it at the beginning of the 26th instead of at the end of the 25th? I'm sure stuff like that will be explained in the completed booklet but I'm just curious. :)
We actually done a lot of research on this and Peter Jackson also thinks it happenned at the very beginning of the 26th.
Well yes I figured there was some research to back it up lol, I was just wondering what the findings were exactly
Well, we looked at the footage from the end of the 25th (There is a shot of Isn't it A Pity that is used as insert) and the footage of Octopus Garden early at the 26th. Then we put the arguments for both the 25th and the 26th. The main weakness on the 26th dating is that Glyn Johns doesn't arrive until later. The weakness of the 25th is that it seems that it's really the end of the day. the arguments in favour of the 26th is the playbacks on the beginning on the slates, why they were playbacking in first place? maybe before sound started recording George playbacked Isn't it a Pity. in the footage you can see he is sitting on the Fender Rhodes but his coat is sitting where he sits later, Also in front of George chair in the Octopus Garden footage you can see a pop microphone that dissappears before and after the fact and we are 100% sure that's the microphone George used for recording the demo.
beatlesong

Post by beatlesong »

Just read the section "History and Sources" in the Info Booklet. There is another set of tapes, not mentioned.

On the SH forum back in 2016, Ray Schweighardt (who wrote the original Get Back day by day analysis books with Doug Sulpy) said:

"The original tapes walked off in the early-mid 1970s. Before that occurred, a set of compilation reels were created and provided to Dalton & Cott, who described and transcribed some of them for the "Get Back" book and an article in Rolling Stone. Some of the material bootlegged in the 1970s and early 1980s derives from copies of the D/C tapes, some of it derives from other compilations created by the then holder of the original tapes. The original tapes (or digital copies of them) were being offered in a piecemeal fashion to Yellow Dog in the late 1980s. Yellow Dog eventually bought the entire batch. Before that occurred, another individual created a large "best of" compilation from across the entire set of tapes. That compilation came into the possession of Vigotone, and eventually became "Thirty Days". After Yellow Dog's "Day By Day" series exhausted the material, Apple recovered the original tapes. A set of D/C tapes was in the hands of a private collector 20 years ago, and for all I know they still are. The D/C tapes have some material that is missing from the Yellow Dog tapes (because a number of reels were missing).

And here's the article of interest from the July 9th, 1970 issue of Rolling Stone by Jonathan Cott and David Dalton.
Note that they were also the co-authors of the Get Back book that was included in the original UK LIB LP package

hxxps://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/t ... ow-102893/

According to Doug Sulpy:
"Some of the material on the Get Back Journals CDs was sourced from dubs of the Dalton / Cott transcription tapes, which occasionally contained material that's missing from the circulating set of Nagra reels."

According to dongiller (of "THE AMAZING KORNYFONE" label):
here's "communication I had in mid-2005 with David Dalton -
I wanted to learn where he had heard the GB material for his RS article, whether it was tape or vinyl, and what he remembered about the GB book. So we agreed to talk over the phone a few weeks later. Here's what he told me:

- Derek Taylor had first approached Cott in, probably, early February 1969, to do whatever was to be done to put together a GB book; no one had any clear idea. David said that the Rolling Stones had wanted to assemble a book for their Rock and Roll Circus, so perhaps the idea for a GB book came from that.

- When Cott got the assignment, David asked to get involved, and Cott said sure; he didn't want to wade through the 1/69 tapes.

(Note: I had talked with Jonathan a few months earlier, and he said the same thing: he left the the tape listening to David; that's pretty much all he could remember."

- David shared a 4-bedroom, 2-story house in London with his then-girlfriend Andie, artist Stanley Mouse (poster guy from SF) and Derek's assistant at Apple, Richard DiLello. (Later, author of _The Longest Cocktail Party._ He's now a screenwriter in Hollywood.)

- Derek provided David and Andie with _all_ of the 1/69 tapes. Boxes and boxes were delivered to their house. David assumed they were dubs, but we both realized that they were, in all likelihood, the original Nagra tapes. (We couldn't imagine anyone spending hundreds of hours making dubs.) Derek also loaned them two reel-to-reels. David says that he and Andie listened to the entire batch, then dubbed for themselves (via the two tape recorders) 17 hours of what they considered the "best" material, and they then began to transcribe dialogue from those dubs.

David returned the original reels to, he thinks, Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

David didn't know why Derek loaned them two tape recorders. Perhaps Derek assumed that David and Andie would split up the work evenly, each listening and transcribing different reels separately, who knows. But that's what David used the tape recorders for -- to dub 17 hours for later transcription.

- Friends would drop by and listen to the tapes, but after awhile they'd zone out, the stuff too tedious to hear for too long a stretch. I asked David if anyone there had ever thought of distributing the material further -- i.e., making more dubs -- and he said no. I pressed a little further, mentioning that some of the B-reels they transcribed for the GB book ended up on bootleg, but the reels themselves had since gone missing (I think I have that right), and so I wondered whether he or his friends might have perhaps been the source for that initial bootleg distribution. David said that he never even considered the thought of dubbing any of it for others. He did it for himself solely for the transcription work. He still has his 17 hours of tapes somewhere in his home.

- The Beatles -- or at least Ringo and John specifically -- read through the transcripts and offered their edits. Ringo told David, "I wasn't chewing gum" (David had written that he had, so Ringo wanted to correct him). And David had transcribed John saying, "Masturbating doesn't make you blind, just short-sighted," but Yoko had that sentence removed.

- David's access to the Apple offices was easy; he and Cott had established themselves there, so he never had any difficulty walking in and out. He now thinks that he wrote the RS LP article/preview after listening to the material in the Apple offices, but he still can't recall whether it was on vinyl or tape.

David put me in touch with both Andie and Richard. I corresponded with both, but, unfortunately, neither remembered a thing."
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen:
zzz777

Post by zzz777 »

iPanggo,
So much glad I've got this splendid GB sessions set at last, right after LR's BBC set!!
thanks a lot for your tremendous effort in research and editing/reconstruction!!
:D
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

beatlesong wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:53 am Just read the section "History and Sources" in the Info Booklet. There is another set of tapes, not mentioned.

On the SH forum back in 2016, Ray Schweighardt (who wrote the original Get Back day by day analysis books with Doug Sulpy) said:

"The original tapes walked off in the early-mid 1970s. Before that occurred, a set of compilation reels were created and provided to Dalton & Cott, who described and transcribed some of them for the "Get Back" book and an article in Rolling Stone. Some of the material bootlegged in the 1970s and early 1980s derives from copies of the D/C tapes, some of it derives from other compilations created by the then holder of the original tapes. The original tapes (or digital copies of them) were being offered in a piecemeal fashion to Yellow Dog in the late 1980s. Yellow Dog eventually bought the entire batch. Before that occurred, another individual created a large "best of" compilation from across the entire set of tapes. That compilation came into the possession of Vigotone, and eventually became "Thirty Days". After Yellow Dog's "Day By Day" series exhausted the material, Apple recovered the original tapes. A set of D/C tapes was in the hands of a private collector 20 years ago, and for all I know they still are. The D/C tapes have some material that is missing from the Yellow Dog tapes (because a number of reels were missing).

And here's the article of interest from the July 9th, 1970 issue of Rolling Stone by Jonathan Cott and David Dalton.
Note that they were also the co-authors of the Get Back book that was included in the original UK LIB LP package

hxxps://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/t ... ow-102893/

According to Doug Sulpy:
"Some of the material on the Get Back Journals CDs was sourced from dubs of the Dalton / Cott transcription tapes, which occasionally contained material that's missing from the circulating set of Nagra reels."

According to dongiller (of "THE AMAZING KORNYFONE" label):
here's "communication I had in mid-2005 with David Dalton -
I wanted to learn where he had heard the GB material for his RS article, whether it was tape or vinyl, and what he remembered about the GB book. So we agreed to talk over the phone a few weeks later. Here's what he told me:

- Derek Taylor had first approached Cott in, probably, early February 1969, to do whatever was to be done to put together a GB book; no one had any clear idea. David said that the Rolling Stones had wanted to assemble a book for their Rock and Roll Circus, so perhaps the idea for a GB book came from that.

- When Cott got the assignment, David asked to get involved, and Cott said sure; he didn't want to wade through the 1/69 tapes.

(Note: I had talked with Jonathan a few months earlier, and he said the same thing: he left the the tape listening to David; that's pretty much all he could remember."

- David shared a 4-bedroom, 2-story house in London with his then-girlfriend Andie, artist Stanley Mouse (poster guy from SF) and Derek's assistant at Apple, Richard DiLello. (Later, author of _The Longest Cocktail Party._ He's now a screenwriter in Hollywood.)

- Derek provided David and Andie with _all_ of the 1/69 tapes. Boxes and boxes were delivered to their house. David assumed they were dubs, but we both realized that they were, in all likelihood, the original Nagra tapes. (We couldn't imagine anyone spending hundreds of hours making dubs.) Derek also loaned them two reel-to-reels. David says that he and Andie listened to the entire batch, then dubbed for themselves (via the two tape recorders) 17 hours of what they considered the "best" material, and they then began to transcribe dialogue from those dubs.

David returned the original reels to, he thinks, Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

David didn't know why Derek loaned them two tape recorders. Perhaps Derek assumed that David and Andie would split up the work evenly, each listening and transcribing different reels separately, who knows. But that's what David used the tape recorders for -- to dub 17 hours for later transcription.

- Friends would drop by and listen to the tapes, but after awhile they'd zone out, the stuff too tedious to hear for too long a stretch. I asked David if anyone there had ever thought of distributing the material further -- i.e., making more dubs -- and he said no. I pressed a little further, mentioning that some of the B-reels they transcribed for the GB book ended up on bootleg, but the reels themselves had since gone missing (I think I have that right), and so I wondered whether he or his friends might have perhaps been the source for that initial bootleg distribution. David said that he never even considered the thought of dubbing any of it for others. He did it for himself solely for the transcription work. He still has his 17 hours of tapes somewhere in his home.

- The Beatles -- or at least Ringo and John specifically -- read through the transcripts and offered their edits. Ringo told David, "I wasn't chewing gum" (David had written that he had, so Ringo wanted to correct him). And David had transcribed John saying, "Masturbating doesn't make you blind, just short-sighted," but Yoko had that sentence removed.

- David's access to the Apple offices was easy; he and Cott had established themselves there, so he never had any difficulty walking in and out. He now thinks that he wrote the RS LP article/preview after listening to the material in the Apple offices, but he still can't recall whether it was on vinyl or tape.

David put me in touch with both Andie and Richard. I corresponded with both, but, unfortunately, neither remembered a thing."
WAIT! That might be the same that the sepmag that came with the workprint of Let It Be and where PJ gathered the new audio from. Basically from my research the missing rolls that PJ recovered are the same ones that those that were bootleged in the 70s but never in possesion of Yellow Dog.
Chuck and Dave

Post by Chuck and Dave »

jackb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm And one more question, who has the wicked cough? Just wondering, probably part of the crew.
highly likely George's
there is a so called "Imagine piano demo" on Thirty Days set that was recorded presumably early in the morning when not all the Beatles were present. during the instrumental piano rendition, a mammoth cough started, then someone from the crew entered, one "familiar" voice said "good morning dennis" and the other answered, "how are you jojo", and then more cough... seems to me that "jojo" was george
btw, a lot of likewise "cough" can be heard throughout the "Beware of ABKCO" boot cd
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

Chuck and Dave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:54 pm
jackb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm And one more question, who has the wicked cough? Just wondering, probably part of the crew.
highly likely George's
there is a so called "Imagine piano demo" on Thirty Days set that was recorded presumably early in the morning when not all the Beatles were present. during the instrumental piano rendition, a mammoth cough started, then someone from the crew entered, one "familiar" voice said "good morning dennis" and the other answered, "how are you jojo", and then more cough... seems to me that "jojo" was george
btw, a lot of likewise "cough" can be heard throughout the "Beware of ABKCO" boot cd
8.07D. I can confirm it was George and Dennis O'Dell but it was in joking way because Dennis was already there talking. For what I can check It's Paul, George and Ringo talking with Michael And Dennis and Glyn and John (Who cannot be heard but already arrived) is playing the piano.l
jackb

Post by jackb »

minor mistakes in info booklet: pages 37 - 38, 10.19 is listed twice, 10.29 is listed twice.
jpgrcat1960

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

It taken me 12 days to listen to the 22 volumes, in it's best sound

I look at the camera bits as edits, as some bits can be remixed into certain songs, like a organ or guitar solo

There's enough to make a Rock 'n Roll albums, maybe 2

Enough ditties to make a remix or mashups

Doris & Oats is in the Twickenham, but forget where...lol

Now to figure out what tracks I like, for listening pleasure :D