Yellow Matter Custard / Purple Matter Custard (stereo)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: Yellow Matter Custard (stereo)

Post by Lord Reith »

I can remember buying the original version on a TMOQ repress in 1983. I had just previously gotten "The Beatles At The Beeb" 3 disc set of the radio series and had been chomping at the bit for over a year to hear I Just Don't Understand but they only played half the song! So I was excited to possibly have the whole song in my hands. Like most of those early purchases, I can remember everything about it: I remember the bus trip home, looking at the cover and finding that it had some fantastically cool liner notes which started on the back flap and then continued in a five page booklet inside. I'll have to unearth that booklet and scan it because it is surely the first guide to the bootleg BBC stuff. It covered everything that was out until that point and had ratings for each song plus recording details which were all new to me.

Anyway... the song. It started, and did not fade out at the start of the solo! So I was excited, but then... at the climax of the song with precision bad timing, the whole speed drops about 8% ! It was like someone suddenly switched from 45 to 33rpm. Well that ruined what would otherwise have been a magic moment. Of course I could make an edit on cassette and fix that bit with my turntable's varispeed, but after doing that the initial rush had worn off.

Elsewhere on that disc I found mind blowing versions of I Got A Woman and Slow Down. The rest was mostly familiar to me except Glad All Over, which I detested. But I also was excited to hear extended intros and outros on some songs, especially the twangy intro to Nothin' Shakin' and the unexpected full ending to So How Come.

I wish I had kept some of my early BBC cassette compilations. They would be funny to listen to now, so lofi and fragmentary. But at a time when there was nothing else or even hope of anything better, they were all the more magical for it. They were exciting times.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Lord, this was really worth waiting for. Thank you.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I should add that I now like Glad All Over, but the really good version is the one they did for Saturday Club.

I've often wondered how these 14 songs were chosen, and why there was never a sequel with tracks like Ooh My Soul. Just another Beatleg mystery I guess.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm I should add that I now like Glad All Over, but the really good version is the one they did for Saturday Club.

I've often wondered how these 14 songs were chosen, and why there was never a sequel with tracks like Ooh My Soul. Just another Beatleg mystery I guess.
The old vinyl bootlegs EMI Outtakes 1 and 2 I think had a similar idea of BBC songs with Ooh My Soul on them.
jgjohnson

Post by jgjohnson »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm I should add that I now like Glad All Over, but the really good version is the one they did for Saturday Club.

Someone who was dealing with TMOQ at the time said that TMOQ got the tapes through an ad in Rolling Stone magazine. When the tape arrived TMOQ seperated the songs that were not on Beatles records for an album called Bound By Love, renamed before release to Yellow Matter Custard.
That's why the matrix number is BBL. The songs they did have on records became the Studio Outakes LPs.
TMOQ people were primarly Dylan fans so they must have thought Slow Down wasn't on a record.
Well, this is what I was told anyway.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

jgjohnson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:27 am

Someone who was dealing with TMOQ at the time said that TMOQ got the tapes through an ad in Rolling Stone magazine. When the tape arrived TMOQ seperated the songs that were not on Beatles records for an album called Bound By Love, renamed before release to Yellow Matter Custard.
That's why the matrix number is BBL. The songs they did have on records became the Studio Outakes LPs.
TMOQ people were primarly Dylan fans so they must have thought Slow Down wasn't on a record.
Well, this is what I was told anyway.
That makes sense. In the 80s I could never find Studio Outtakes Vol.1&2 because they weren't repressed. That was a big hole in my collection and it wasn't filled until the 90s... some 7 or 8 years later!!!

Actually looking at the YMC tracklisting, it's clear the guy who chose the songs was not a McCartney fan. He only gets one solo, the rest is John and George. It's funny that John sent Paul the album and raved about it. Paul probably thought "Well where the hell am I on it?" Given the tensions between them he maybe was not too pleased.
urasam2

Post by urasam2 »

This album holds a very special place in my collection. I bought the TMOQ record which was on blue vinyl in 1972 at the first Virgin Record shop when it was above a shoe shop in Oxford Street, London - bean bags on the floor, "cans" for your listening pleasure etc. I had no idea where the tracks originated from, as they were claimed to be "previously unreleased studio material". I had never heard of the Pop Goes The Beatles show, despite having been a devoted fan since early 1963. If only...
I treasured the album, it held pride of place in my collection and I'd put it on to amaze guests who came round. I used to dream that one day I might get to hear the recordings in proper studio quality. And now ......here we are!!!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Ditto. One of the first bootlegs I ever got, though I had no idea it was BBC at the time.

I am sorely tempted to go and chop the end off of "I Got A Woman" on your new mix, LR. I listened to that LP so many times, it still never sounds right with the tag on that song. :D
jgjohnson

Post by jgjohnson »

tmoq ymc a004.jpg
tmoq ymc a004.jpg (433.13 KiB) Viewed 812 times
tmoq ymc b005.jpg
tmoq ymc b005.jpg (330.02 KiB) Viewed 812 times
From the book "A Pigs Tale"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Cool pics, thanks. :)
Doug wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:17 pm I am sorely tempted to go and chop the end off of "I Got A Woman" on your new mix, LR. I listened to that LP so many times, it still never sounds right with the tag on that song. :D
I can remember the huge shock I got in 1988 when I played "Beatles At The Beeb Vol.5" for the first time and that "hipswinging" coda came up. Holy cow! So unexpected and exciting. Didn't really occur to me that because the 64 version had one this one would too.

Oddly enough Carolyn Ellis's recording has the coda too and it's surprising that it didn't end up on "Beautiful Dreamer".