Harry And His Court Jesters: The Music Video

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Lord Reith

Re: Harry And His Court Jesters: The Music Video

Post by Lord Reith »

harrylime wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:42 am Hence the BBC's mobile outdoor broadcasting using those camera's was done with their so-called 'Marconi Unit'
Cool, thanks for the info and pictures. But yes still too cumbersome to get interesting moving outdoor shots for drama and the like. I wouldn't like to try perching that on my shoulder! :lol: I think the first Dr Who to use video for the outdoor sequences was Robot in about 1975. Can't remember what cameras they used.
nickotina wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 pm
He's playing on a 18" crash/ride cymbal. Much speculation still going on about what brand it is exactly, but most probably it's a Zyn or Super Zyn - an English brand, cheaper but similar to the Zildjians he used from Sullivan onward). It was light enough to give a nice washy crashy sound when hit hard and close to the border, but Ringo was a master in getting the right tone and he mainly used it as a ride.
It's weird because through most of the song it sounds like an ordinary ride cymbal but then there's this huge crashy sound and he doesn't really appear to do anything different at that spot. Maybe he just hit it harder?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zzz777

Post by zzz777 »

Lord,
thanks a lot for sharing the video!!
:D :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

royal.jpg
royal.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 728 times
The cast giving the Queen Mother a "Hip Hip Hooray" after singing God Save The Queen. John doesn't look as unhappy to be there as he later wanted us to believe.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Never seen that photo before! Amazing how they still keep popping up.

BTW, this very video with the new soundtrack is currently subject to a Carter's Remasters colourisation! :)

I pointed out in the comments about the improved soundtrack and it was clarified that's the one being used.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Wow, can't wait to watch the full colourised vid. Glad to see it's not one of those ghastly AI colorisations.
nickotina

Post by nickotina »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 pm It's weird because through most of the song it sounds like an ordinary ride cymbal but then there's this huge crashy sound and he doesn't really appear to do anything different at that spot. Maybe he just hit it harder?
Yes, I believe so. After all, it was a crescendo!
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 pm Cool, thanks for the info and pictures. But yes still too cumbersome to get interesting moving outdoor shots for drama and the like. I wouldn't like to try perching that on my shoulder! :lol: I think the first Dr Who to use video for the outdoor sequences was Robot in about 1975. Can't remember what cameras they used.
You're right, that's a notable exception and was mainly driven by the special effects they wanted to use. Doing that on film was impractical to say the least and with a regular tv-series budget resulted in a 50s sci-fi look that even by the standards of the time looked very dated (if I'm not mistaken they found this out the hard way in the season with the dinosaur invasion). But still it was 'outdoors' up to the extend that they recorded it outside a BBC facility :D. Another example is the '75 show Survivors (interestingly a kind of foreboding of Covid-19), where they underestimated the downsides of outdoor video recording, especially in low lighting, resulting in the first part being of disappointing quality until they upgraded their equipment.
Lemonhead

Post by Lemonhead »

I think the first Dr Who to use video for the outdoor sequences was Robot in about 1975. Can't remember what cameras they used.
Yes, quite right: 'Robot breaks entirely new ground by being the first [Dr Who] story shot entirely on shiny-but-cheap-looking video, as by 1974 video cameras had become lightweight enough to allow the programme-makers to film all the exterior sequences on VT. Theoretically, this means that for the first time CSO effects can be used to make a monster look gigantic when it's outside, without the effect looking silly.' - Lawrence Miles and Tat Wood, About Time. It's interesting how often Dr Who crops up on this forum, and equally interesting how often the Beatles crop up in Miles and Wood's Dr Who books.
timmyg51

Post by timmyg51 »

[/quote]

I must give credit to "gsg" for this Avisynth script. They previously created a script to remove the lines in the Anthology footage, and I have slightly altered it. Some before/after:

Not entirely perfect, but it's pretty good.
[/quote]

Good sir, can you please point us to the Avisynth script used?
rogerwhatdidyoudo

Post by rogerwhatdidyoudo »

timmyg51 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 pm Good sir, can you please point us to the Avisynth script used?
qtgmc()
LanczosResize(720,280)
selecteven()
daa()
nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=540)
Grayscale()