60fps Anthology?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Megazeti

Re: 60fps Anthology?

Post by Megazeti »

And what pss me off with uploaders in general is 25/50f uploaded as 60 and I'm thinking what you think 10 extra frames is gonna make it better is that you're thinking? And it's worsened by the majority of uploaders in 29/60 with a tiny percentage uploading it the correct PAL rates.
It makes it frustrating with PAL material only uploaded 29/30/60 and if I wanted to reconstruct a show and I've only got 'mixed veggies' is a pain in the backside.
Last edited by Megazeti on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's my experience that 99.99% of people don't know how to do video. That's understandable, it's complicated. But even commercial dvds are sometimes a mess.

I can recall years ago someone sending me a video of the rooftop concert. But it had been mangled by about three different conversions between different frame rates. Luckily it was still interlaced so it was possible to undo both conversions and retrieve the original 24fps. But it helped contribute to my losing interest in video in general.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm The reason that there are 50 fields per second in the UK and 59.94 per second in the US is because the refresh rate of the cathode ray tubes was controlled by the mains frequency: 50hz in the UK and 59.94hz in the US.

Likewise the speed of the synchronous motors in the tape recorders of the day was set by the mains frequency. Which is why Abbey Road and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and other studios who wanted pitch control had to invent phoney power supplies where a variable 50hz tone was stepped up in voltage to power the tape recorder motor.
Of course, but I didn't mean 'coming from' in regard to its technical origins, but how it would be sensible to word it like " A PAL tape running at 50Hz will give you 25fps, an NTSC tape will give you 29.97 fps at 60Hz.". The tape motors in VCR's aren't even synchronous motors, and even if they were a tape doesn't run at 'x Hz', it runs at distance per second, like 15 ips as was used in Abbey Road. PAL VHS runs at 1.3ish ips.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

harrylime wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:42 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm The reason that there are 50 fields per second in the UK and 59.94 per second in the US is because the refresh rate of the cathode ray tubes was controlled by the mains frequency: 50hz in the UK and 59.94hz in the US.

Likewise the speed of the synchronous motors in the tape recorders of the day was set by the mains frequency. Which is why Abbey Road and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and other studios who wanted pitch control had to invent phoney power supplies where a variable 50hz tone was stepped up in voltage to power the tape recorder motor.
Of course, but I didn't mean 'coming from' in regard to its technical origins, but how it would be sensible to word it like " A PAL tape running at 50Hz will give you 25fps, an NTSC tape will give you 29.97 fps at 60Hz.". The tape motors in VCR's aren't even synchronous motors, and even if they were a tape doesn't run at 'x Hz', it runs at distance per second, like 15 ips as was used in Abbey Road. PAL VHS runs at 1.3ish ips.
True.

I was flabbergasted at some of the encoding on 1+. They used videos which were recorded in the ntsc format but sourced pal transcodings from wayback for capture. They then deinterlaced these to 25fps - destroying half the temporal resolution in the process - and then transcoded them up to 59.94fps. The result was a horrible smeary, jerky mess when it should have looked pristine.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene