Turn Up, Tune Out, Drop In

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Spaniard in da Works

Re: Turn Up, Tune Out, Drop In

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:14 pm
Spaniard in da Works wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:46 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:09 am This mix was inspired by the stereo Rolling Stones BBC session, which I heard again recently.
And what a great session that one is.
Yeah, quiet audience and a tremendous right-there-in-the-room-with-you sound. That's what I tried to reproduce. And both bands were in top form that day.
[Off-topic] My second favorite BBC Stones session is one in which they did a Roll Over Beethoven that rivals the studio Down The Road Apiece as the grooviest Berry versión they did. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Keith Richards doing Chuck.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:29 pm
silver_2000 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 pm Lord, can I ask, what is your favorite beatle chuck berry cover?
Little Queenie. But Carol comes a close second.
Always love Rock And Roll music, and Monkey, never liked Carol honestly, The Rolling Stones version just blows it out
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

Lord Reith: Incredible work, on both the Sweden shows! The Karlaplan show leaps off the speakers, vocals strong, bass and drums clear and separated well. The Drop-In show, while not being "historically accurate," is a revelation and a joy to watch. Too bad the TV show mixed it so pooly as it aired. Thanks for the "Long Tall Sally" audio mix fix! Is it possible you mixed the whole of Drop In this way before edits were made? I'd love to have that! Also, were any parts of Drop-In utilized in the radio show? I think not, but want to know. Also, what mono sources did you start with, have any surfaced that best the ones you generously shared previously? Thanks again for all you good work, and free sharing! It's true that you've created so much of what is now core to rare Beatles collecting!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:33 amI think in the Star Club tape the only Berry song where John is not the lead guitarist is Roll Over Beethoven - but George seems absolutely possessed. This is what the punks thought rock and roll was.
Punk emerged directly out of a 50s music revival in the London pubs in the early 1970s. It began with an American band whose name I forget but they were the first or one of the first bands to play in a pub. They basically just did what The Beatles had done: play hundreds of different covers of old songs, and they became a huge draw for the venue. Out of that a lot of bands started copying the idea and playing these old 50s numbers in the pubs. Within a few years a younger element took over and when the Sex Pistols started writing their own songs with socially relevant lyrics, suddenly you had punk. It's literally like the Merseyside scene of 1960-1962 repeated itself ten years later down south, and then morphed into something new. Quite remarkable really.
EdinSc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:11 pm Lord Reith: Incredible work, on both the Sweden shows! The Karlaplan show leaps off the speakers, vocals strong, bass and drums clear and separated well. The Drop-In show, while not being "historically accurate," is a revelation and a joy to watch. Too bad the TV show mixed it so pooly as it aired. Thanks for the "Long Tall Sally" audio mix fix! Is it possible you mixed the whole of Drop In this way before edits were made? I'd love to have that! Also, were any parts of Drop-In utilized in the radio show? I think not, but want to know. Also, what mono sources did you start with, have any surfaced that best the ones you generously shared previously? Thanks again for all you good work, and free sharing! It's true that you've created so much of what is now core to rare Beatles collecting!
Thanks! I didn't use any new sources no. The original Karlaplan radio is a very good recording, with close-miked drums, strong bass guitar and reasonably well balanced vocals. The main problem that needed fixing was the vocals going up and down all the time because of the singers moving around. The rest was not too bad although the drums were originally too loud and drowned out the guitars a bit. But overall it's a good recording. The TV show on the other hand is not so good, and considering they rehearsed it several times I can't understand why. The drums have a distant sound to them and George's guitar is almost totally absent. It seems as though the guy on sound balance thought John was lead guitarist and didn't bother to mic George's amp?? Also Paul's microphone is too low in level. The only song I could get a decent mix out of was Long Tall Sally, and that's only because John had no vocals and George's guitar part was essentially redundant. The other three songs are a write off, but the Karlaplan versions are so similar you can substitute them in the video and aside from the odd cymbal crash you literally can't tell the difference! So it worked out nicely i think. As you say, not authentic but the original video is out there already. This is just a way of making it more enjoyable.
Spaniard in da Works wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:37 pm [Off-topic] My second favorite BBC Stones session is one in which they did a Roll Over Beethoven that rivals the studio Down The Road Apiece as the grooviest Berry versión they did. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Keith Richards doing Chuck.
The Stones version of Down the Road Apiece recorded for Top Gear is the most fantastic piece of rock and roll. They really nailed the black R&B sound on that.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Paharishi

Post by Paharishi »

Thank you, Lord Reith. Fantastic!
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:20 pm The original Karlaplan radio is a very good recording, with close-miked drums, strong bass guitar and reasonably well balanced vocals.
It certainly seems those Swedish radio guys knew what they were doing - there's a Stockholm 1967 Jimi Hendrix show that is one of the best early shows I've heard from him. I don't know if I'm mistaken, but my impresión is that the engineers in state-owned European radio stations are the best there are for live sound capture.
The only song I could get a decent mix out of was Long Tall Sally, and that's only because John had no vocals and George's guitar part was essentially redundant.
There's however a certain demographic for whom unbalanced recordings like that one are a godsend: musicians trying to pick up a certain Beatle's instrumental or vocal parts! Especially for harmony parts, the Beatles have such a good vocal blend that at times you can only pick up individual lines if they are thrown out of balance by the sound men.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:20 pm The original Karlaplan radio is a very good recording, with close-miked drums, strong bass guitar and reasonably well balanced vocals.
It certainly seems those Swedish radio guys knew what they were doing - there's a Stockholm 1967 Jimi Hendrix show that is one of the best early shows I've heard from him. I don't know if I'm mistaken, but my impresión is that the engineers in state-owned European radio stations are the best there are for live sound capture.

The Byrds also did a Swedish radio thing that has decent sound/balancing
Nateboy

Post by Nateboy »

Lord, you have no idea how much I've wanted a properly balanced stereo version of this performance. Well Done!!!
zzz777

Post by zzz777 »

Lord,
thanks a lot for sharing the awesome video!!
The sound quality is more than I expected; impactful sound with well-balanced separation!!
:D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks everybody, glad you all enjoyed it. :)
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene