Turn Up, Tune Out, Drop In

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Rupert Pupkin

Re: Turn Up, Tune Out, Drop In

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

This is such a great video; and I LOVE the sound! At last a video where we can hear and appreciate the vocals with the sound of the guitars- the 2 last songs have such a great guitar solo by George; it looks like the proto-punk from the Hamburg years is suddenly coming back and they are going tally crazy and insane; it's contagious : this version of Long Tall Sally just kills me; had they played another number that could have been a 1964 version of Helter Skelter!

Thank you!

by the way, did you made in the past a CD including this TV show and some bonus ? if yes, could you please reupload it ?
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

by the way, which version of the Rolling Stones BBC you had in mind ? ProfStoned's version ?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 am by the way, which version of the Rolling Stones BBC you had in mind ? ProfStoned's version ?
I don't have any cds. Just the BBC special from 1982.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 am by the way, which version of the Rolling Stones BBC you had in mind ? ProfStoned's version ?
The BBC Stereo session ("Blues In Rhythm", May 64) was really fine as it was; it has been released oficially twice, first as a bonus vinyl EP in the deluxe edition of GRRR! and then as part of the official "The Rolling Stones On Air" (alas, with the tracks not in sequence, but at least even the 1 CD version has the four songs.

BTW, that was an experimental transmission; apparently the BBC broadcast the left channel on radio and the right channel on TV, so if you turned on both appliances - bam, stereo!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:56 am
The BBC Stereo session ("Blues In Rhythm", May 64) was really fine as it was; it has been released oficially twice, first as a bonus vinyl EP in the deluxe edition of GRRR! and then as part of the official "The Rolling Stones On Air" (alas, with the tracks not in sequence, but at least even the 1 CD version has the four songs.

BTW, that was an experimental transmission; apparently the BBC broadcast the left channel on radio and the right channel on TV, so if you turned on both appliances - bam, stereo!
That's true. They did also broadcast in normal FM stereo in London though, on certain days of the week. But I think the tuners would have been rare and more expensive.
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:51 am That's true. They did also broadcast in normal FM stereo in London though, on certain days of the week. But I think the tuners would have been rare and more expensive.
Which raises the question; were there stereo radiograms / consoles back in the 60s? I mean, people who listened to stereo records - where did they listen to them, they had a separate record player?
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Stones fans can only hope for a quality remaster of their BBC recordings the kind Lord Reith has provided us with.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 am
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:51 am That's true. They did also broadcast in normal FM stereo in London though, on certain days of the week. But I think the tuners would have been rare and more expensive.
Which raises the question; were there stereo radiograms / consoles back in the 60s? I mean, people who listened to stereo records - where did they listen to them, they had a separate record player?
a stereo 1.jpg
a stereo 1.jpg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 996 times
a radi0 2.jpg
a radi0 2.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 996 times
a radio 3.jpg
a radio 3.jpg (21.01 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Usually a radiogram. I'm actually old enough to remember these monstrosities as a lot of people still owned them even in the 70s. Of course, there WERE component system for hifi nuts and you could buy a separate stereo amp, tuner, turntable and speakers but overwhelmingly people just bought radiograms because like TVs the idea back then was that electronic devices should blend in with the furniture. I can remember our first colour tv came in a plush wooden cabinet that probably cost more than the actual electronics. When it went bust my dad pulled all the insides out and we used it as a rather nice bookcase.

Also the mono Dansette record players could be upconverted to stereo with the purchase of a stereo cartridge and a separate extra amp/speaker that plugged into the back.
Petsounds1966x

Post by Petsounds1966x »

I swear I saw a newly mixed version of the Swedish radio show in addition to this awesome video of Drop In from Lord Reith, but no longer see any link to it. Am I blind, losing my mind, or something else?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Petsounds1966x wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 pm I swear I saw a newly mixed version of the Swedish radio show in addition to this awesome video of Drop In from Lord Reith, but no longer see any link to it. Am I blind, losing my mind, or something else?
It's bundled with Harry And His Box V10.