Long Tall Sally (Drop In audio salvage)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
BeatleGuy1949

Re: Long Tall Sally (Drop In audio salvage)

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You LR!
dmh84

Post by dmh84 »

That's amazing!! Thanks so much!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys. I think this video is the closest thing to the Cavern we have. They are at their best with a small audience like that. The audience ended up becoming the show later on.

I ended up doing the whole show, so will post it later.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:49 pm Thanks guys. I think this video is the closest thing to the Cavern we have. They are at their best with a small audience like that. The audience ended up becoming the show later on.

I ended up doing the whole show, so will post it later.
Did you have any luck with the I Saw Her Standing There solo?? That always drives me nuts….
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Nice work
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

silver_2000 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:37 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:30 am I love this clip of Paul blazing his way through Long Tall Sally on Swedish television but unfortunately it was spoilt by the sound balance being all over the place. I guess this is because it was an unplanned addition and the sound guy was caught on the hop. So here I have sorted all that all out and put it into stereo while I was about it. Hope you enjoy it.

hxxps://we.tl/t-AuewwSXl2o
Thank you. Do wish it was the longer version, its so short!
They probably noticed George's guitar was not sounding and decided to skip the second solo!

(By the way. I had assumed for 30 years that in the studio version both solos were played by George simply because of the positioning in the stereo version. But if one listens attentively, at some point between John's solo and George's solo Norman Smith quickly reverses the panning of the guitars)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:36 pm (By the way. I had assumed for 30 years that in the studio version both solos were played by George simply because of the positioning in the stereo version. But if one listens attentively, at some point between John's solo and George's solo Norman Smith quickly reverses the panning of the guitars)
It sounds like that but after investigating this so I could demix it, I found that originally both John and George were recorded together on one track (panned left). Then one of them overdubbed a second rhythm guitar part on a new track (panned right). So there is a second rhythm guitar part playing during John's solo. So not the all-live performance Mark said in TBRS.
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 pm It sounds like that but after investigating this so I could demix it, I found that originally both John and George were recorded together on one track (panned left). Then one of them overdubbed a second rhythm guitar part on a new track (panned right). So there is a second rhythm guitar part playing during John's solo. So not the all-live performance Mark said in TBRS.
That's really curious! My original impression was because in the first verses, during the stop time parts, the guitar on the left channel plays the Berry style double stop bendings (I assumed this to be John) and the guitar on the right channel plays an ascending figure on the low strings (I assumed this to be George), and after John's solo the situation is reversed. But if you say there are more guitars, you must be right!

(EDIT: and how maddeningly hard it is to hear the right channel guitars under George Martin's ham-fisted rock'n'roll piano)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:36 pm (EDIT: and how maddeningly hard it is to hear the right channel guitars under George Martin's ham-fisted rock'n'roll piano)
On Fabrcadabra Volume 3 there is a version without the piano.

I'm not sure who plays the right channel guitar. It is a rhythm guitar part but it may be George. I actually hate the way George Martin elbowed his way into their early recordings. It's my worthless opinion that he actually ruined some of them. The horribly out of tune celeste on Baby It's You; the out of tune piano on Misery; the piano part reminiscent of The Munsters on Money; the strings on Yesterday (yes, I can't stand them). There were some parts he added that were okay (I quite like the piano on Not A Second Time) but generally I just wish he'd butted out. An old guy had no business playing on an early Beatles record.