AMC Feature Presentation - A Hard Day's Night and Help!

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Ziggy C

Re: AMC Feature Presentation - A Hard Day's Night and Help!

Post by Ziggy C »

elvislennon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm A friend brought in....get this....a Sony BetaMax VCR. This guy would find the things that I will be like....Where in the blue hell you find that? The thing is with this....it works. I think the heads needs to be cleaned and a good Beta tape found and see if it truly work. But again, we are talking about a machine that is around 40 years old. Technology has changed alot since then.
The thing about the ol' Betamax, it was a far superior machine. The picture quality was much better than VHS. It's a shame that the VHS format became more popular. But at the same time, VHS was a much more affordable option for the masses. Hence, it quickly outpaced the Betamax and became the standard. When my folks first split in 1977, my Dad moved out of the house, got set up in his new apartment, and bought one of the first Sony Betamax machines. At the time, it must've cost close to a thousand bucks. No one else I knew had one. It was put to frequent use. My brother and I would stay at Dad's over the weekend, set the Betamax to record Saturday Night Live, and watch it the following morning. Dad still has a working Betamax. Doesn't use it hardly ever. Yet it's still there.
elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

Ziggy C wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:46 pm
elvislennon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm A friend brought in....get this....a Sony BetaMax VCR. This guy would find the things that I will be like....Where in the blue hell you find that? The thing is with this....it works. I think the heads needs to be cleaned and a good Beta tape found and see if it truly work. But again, we are talking about a machine that is around 40 years old. Technology has changed alot since then.
The thing about the ol' Betamax, it was a far superior machine. The picture quality was much better than VHS. It's a shame that the VHS format became more popular. But at the same time, VHS was a much more affordable option for the masses. Hence, it quickly outpaced the Betamax and became the standard. When my folks first split in 1977, my Dad moved out of the house, got set up in his new apartment, and bought one of the first Sony Betamax machines. At the time, it must've cost close to a thousand bucks. No one else I knew had one. It was put to frequent use. My brother and I would stay at Dad's over the weekend, set the Betamax to record Saturday Night Live, and watch it the following morning. Dad still has a working Betamax. Doesn't use it hardly ever. Yet it's still there.
My friend who knows of those formats like Beta, VHS and so forth, he said the main reason why Beta really failed was lacked of advertisement. Beta went away in the early 90s believe it or not. But you are right on the quality, far superior that VHS. Beta was ahead of its time. Seeing the Betamax at the shop bring back so memories for me. Watching Ghostbusters....Nightmare on Elm Street.....YES, a kid watching that movie.....lol. Could be why I am mixed up in the head LOL.
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

I recall that Sony would not allow competitors to manufacture Beta machines. VHS was invented by JVC (I think), and other companies were allowed to make VHS machines. Competition forced the prices to come down and proliferation created dominance. Sony soon redeveloped the Beatmax into a professional format called Betacam & Betacam SP. They were the same size as a Betamax tape but traveled at a higher speed. Betacam became the dominate professional format for 25 years due to its quality and portability.
elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

Hello, everyone.
I do know some had issues with my recording I have of this. I actually got another VCR and re-record this. It is better in most of the areas. Does blue screen during the Help! movie still but I have fixed the audio I believe. I didn't convert it to DVD. This is in MKV format. Enjoy

hxxps://mega.nz/file/CyZHFBBC#1s5RsDCx2 ... urIg2sE0ew
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you for the upgrade .....
Venny

Post by Venny »

Mrbeatleg wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:45 pm the quality on this is horrible and the audio is warbly. Digital lines throughout the whole both movies.

vlcsnap-2024-02-12-13h39m17s192.png
I own an AMC broadcast tape that I transferred myself. Sadly my set up for transferring isn't great and there is some DC offset issues with my recording, but I can fix that and upload it here

Update:
hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vTeK309m1dzC1otJ0BN4GJbObP9N185G?usp=sharing
Corrected audio+VHS encode can be found here
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen: