Unbootlegged Lennon Footage Leaked..On Instagram?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
silver_2000

Unbootlegged Lennon Footage Leaked..On Instagram?

Post by silver_2000 »

Was just scrolling Instagram before sleep and stumbled upon the Lennon's estate newest post, Lennon on Simon Dee TV Show in feb 1970. Had never seen it before, but thought maybe it was just one of those forgotten early 70s appearances, decided to check "Beatles On Film", and saw it was unbootlegged with the site owner writing it has never appeared throughout the years.

VERY COOL, hope the lennon estate pushes all of it out, but to quote Buddy Holly, "that'll be the day that I die"

hxxps://we.tl/t-l4hscuTKOH

Link to download it!
A-Caceres

Re: Unbootlegged Lennon Footage Leaked..On Instagram?

Post by A-Caceres »

You beat me to it! At the official John Lennon Facebook page they uploaded a it in Story mode first. I was panicking thinking it would be lost again (one can only see the story once, then it's gone). Finally figured out how to download it but they uploaded the same clip again for everyone to see on their main page. I'm glad that another once thought lost video seems to be saved. I do hope it gets fully released online, doesn't matter the video quality.
ImageImage
Thank you for the share!
B-ED

Post by B-ED »

I nearly had a heart attack when i saw this posted on John`s FB!
rons1010

Post by rons1010 »

An 13:35 mp3 version of this Simon Dee show interview you can find at:

viewtopic.php?p=855#p855
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

That’s a great piece of footage, thanks very much for posting the link. Anything at all from the Simon Dee Show is like gold dust. The BBC in their infinite wisdom wiped all but a small fraction of the Dee Time shows they aired. You only have to look at the roster of acts for that show to see what a loss that is both culturally and artistically.

The Lennon clip looks like it’s from the shows Dee hosted when his programme moved over from the BBC to ITV. That was at the behest of David Frost. At the time Frost was an ambitious TV exec with an eye on becoming a chat show host. He knew that the biggest obstacle to any such career was Simon Dee who was at the top of his game so he lured Dee away from the BBC with a fee the station couldn’t hope to match. Frost then scheduled the Dee show for late Sunday night - this was at the time when most people in the U.K. were in bed by 10:00pm on Sunday. The result was that the new Dee show stiffed, the host was dropped leaving the way clear for Frost.

Dee certainly held a grudge. While he was being head hunted by Frost the pair went to America where they glad handed various tv moguls. At one such event, various people including Dee were swimming in a hotel pool. Not wanting to be left out, Frost dived in - only he couldn’t swim and promptly went straight to the bottom. Dee retrieved Frost and got him to safety. In later years Dee said that his biggest regret in life was saving Frost that day, that he should have left him to drown.

I don’t know the state of the archive of the Dee ITV shows or even whether it still exists. While not as culturally important as the BBC run, it would still be fascinating viewing. The Lennon clip alone is evidence to that.

Thanks again, one of the best things to surface in ages.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Bumblebee wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:13 am That’s a great piece of footage, thanks very much for posting the link. Anything at all from the Simon Dee Show is like gold dust. The BBC in their infinite wisdom wiped all but a small fraction of the Dee Time shows they aired. You only have to look at the roster of acts for that show to see what a loss that is both culturally and artistically.

The Lennon clip looks like it’s from the shows Dee hosted when his programme moved over from the BBC to ITV. That was at the behest of David Frost. At the time Frost was an ambitious TV exec with an eye on becoming a chat show host. He knew that the biggest obstacle to any such career was Simon Dee who was at the top of his game so he lured Dee away from the BBC with a fee the station couldn’t hope to match. Frost then scheduled the Dee show for late Sunday night - this was at the time when most people in the U.K. were in bed by 10:00pm on Sunday. The result was that the new Dee show stiffed, the host was dropped leaving the way clear for Frost.

Dee certainly held a grudge. While he was being head hunted by Frost the pair went to America where they glad handed various tv moguls. At one such event, various people including Dee were swimming in a hotel pool. Not wanting to be left out, Frost dived in - only he couldn’t swim and promptly went straight to the bottom. Dee retrieved Frost and got him to safety. In later years Dee said that his biggest regret in life was saving Frost that day, that he should have left him to drown.

I don’t know the state of the archive of the Dee ITV shows or even whether it still exists. While not as culturally important as the BBC run, it would still be fascinating viewing. The Lennon clip alone is evidence to that.

Thanks again, one of the best things to surface in ages.
Makes me believe in "bootlegging miracles" maybe other lost BBC things will be found, full print of "its the beatles"..probably not, but this finding shows that, things CAN be found after 50 years!
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Makes me wonder if the whole show still exists or just this bit!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:19 pm Makes me wonder if the whole show still exists or just this bit!
I'm sure more will exist than that clip.
From the quality it looks like some sort of domestic open reel videotape.
InMyLife1965

Post by InMyLife1965 »

Hello All,

Could this black and white open reel be part of that Tony Cox footage?
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Thank you for sharing this. This is great!!