Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
unwantedman

Re: Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Post by unwantedman »

hinrichschroeder wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:55 pm Thanks for all the great upgrades. Amazing! A thing I just realized: what happened to "All My Loving" from Saturday Club, Dec. 21, 1963 on Vol. 10? Is the old recording not from that date and was misplaced on older CDs? Did I overlook something?
i believe that was the studio version, so no need to include it.
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

hinrichschroeder wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:55 pm Thanks for all the great upgrades. Amazing! A thing I just realized: what happened to "All My Loving" from Saturday Club, Dec. 21, 1963 on Vol. 10? Is the old recording not from that date and was misplaced on older CDs? Did I overlook something?
Unfortunately all there is of it is the last second or two as you hear on the tape. That's enough to show that it wasn't the record or the version heard in the following Saturday Club. The Yellow Dog boot 20 years ago put the record in instead and i think I copied that across some years ago because I didn't know any better, but there was an actual BBC version we don't have (not a great loss since there is a terrific version of the song in From us To You a few days later). I think someone said they had it on a cassette but threw the cassette away not realising!
jackb wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:50 am Disc 27 has a folder labeled From Us To You 3 (alternate source), but it's not exactly clear where these tracks fit in to what's on disc 13. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but any help would be appreciated.
Jack
I didn't intend it to fit in, it was just a bonus. Of course you can slot it in if you like.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

OK, my interest is slightly piqued.

Does anyone know what the running order would be of the songs in From Us To You #3 if we were to slot the updated songs (Manfred Mann, etc.) into their proper places? I'm having difficulty finding the running order online.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 am The Beatles were very very lucky to get the team they did.
I think their success was the result of a convergence: the band, Brian Epstein, George Martin, maybe Astrid...
It wouldn't have happened at Decca.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Further to our discussion further back about whether the pre-Ringo Beatles were any good, here's an interesting comment from Sheridan:
Ssheridan on beatles in hamburg.png
Ssheridan on beatles in hamburg.png (142.02 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
That kind of mirrors the way I think of it. If you were there then, yes, it would be great but on tape... probably not so great.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:25 am OK, my interest is slightly piqued.

Does anyone know what the running order would be of the songs in From Us To You #3 if we were to slot the updated songs (Manfred Mann, etc.) into their proper places? I'm having difficulty finding the running order online.
I saw her standimng there starts show
Kansas City & i forgot to remember go after first taste of the blues & Without You
Matchbox and Honey Don't go after Mr Woo
hinrichschroeder

Post by hinrichschroeder »

Thanks a lot to unwantedman and Lord Reith for the replies. Now it's clear to me :D
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 am Further to our discussion further back about whether the pre-Ringo Beatles were any good, here's an interesting comment from Sheridan:

That kind of mirrors the way I think of it. If you were there then, yes, it would be great but on tape... probably not so great.
As you've put it, we already know what they sounded like in '61. Listen to the Sheridan recordings they played on. We know what they sounded like in early '62. Listen to their earliest pre-Ringo BBC appearances.

That's them. That's their sound at that time. Nothing spectacular. By all accounts, it was their charisma, energy, and stage antics that put them over. Once Ringo took over the chair, though, their sessions improved vastly. F'n night and day, man.

I suppose a similar argument could be made for several artists wherein their studio output pales in comparison to their live shows. Musically, Grateful Dead came across best on stage. No antics needed. It's just their studio work failed to capture what they were about. More to the point there are other artists who had excellent stage presence, charisma, etc, but whose studio output came off as rather bland by comparison. In my opinion, Bruce Springsteen and Garth Brooks connect far better on stage than on their records. One could also argue that Cream was an entirely different band on stage than in the studio. Their long 20 minute virtuoso improvisational jams established them as the first supergroup. Their studio output leaned more towards much tidier and shorter (by comparison) songs.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yes, there's a lot of bands where I feel their live stuff is vastly better than their studio stuff. I think some groups don't have that ability. They are great musicians but can't get the sound over in the studio, perhaps due to the producer or engineer. Oasis recorded their first album and the intitial version was deemed as dreadful by everybody behind the scenes because it totally failed to capture the excitement of their live sound. They literally had to start over and record with someone else at a different studio, and even then the first mix wasn't right and they had to find the right person to mix it. It is a very fine art.
Liverpools Boy

Post by Liverpools Boy »

In another hand a complete tracklist can be necessary to clear up all the doubts regard to the running order, for example. It's a suggestion, request, etc with all the respect of course.