Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
burningfool

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb 1982 extended

Post by burningfool »

Vol. 3 gives us what seems to be the complete PGTB #2 and #3, or at least these versions are more complete than the 2021 BBC Archives versions. Most of the guest group performances are new to me, and there is some additional chat that provides some helpful context. I always wondered why Lee Peters was talking about horses in PGTB #3 - the reference to the previous performance by The Countrymen now makes sense.

If nothing else, the guest group performances highlight just how revolutionary The Beatles must have sounded to the Light Programme audience of 1963.

I am also hearing some upgraded sound - Memphis, Tennessee from PGTB #3 sounds like it comes from a better quality tape, as does part of From Me To You. Are there other newly discovered tapes or upgraded sources used in this series? I look forward to discovering the answer for myself.

Again, thank you for this nice surprise, and thank you for releasing it during my vacation. Cheers.
steve1950

Post by steve1950 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 pm
steve1950 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:22 pm Thank you for these presents. Reminds me of Christmas 1963 when I got Introducing the Beatles on VJ. I played it on a portable player like this.
I used to have something not unlike that as a child. Luckily we got a better one before I started getting into the Beatles, because that thing was a record destroyer!
Yes, it was rough on records and the sound was horrible. Now I use a tube amp with Harbeth speakers. If I had this system when I was sixteen I would never have left my room.
Attachments
Harbeth_review.jpg
Harbeth_review.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

I look forward to Lord Reith’s formal disclose of what is new, but so far there are new and improved sources on all three installments. Pretty impressive. Happy Christmas indeed.

An update of “ A COMPLETE CATALOGUE OF THE BEATLES' BBC RADIO PERFORMANCES” would seem to be in order, in terms of sources. One of the real gems of the BBC Archives collection.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Godsmacked and thrilled. Unwrapping these gifts as I type.
Montelimar

Post by Montelimar »

Santa DOES exist, I knew it.

Thanks Santa Reith
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Glad people are enjoying these Christmas Beebles (do you see what I did there? :lol: ) Christmas to me was always heavily about The Beatles as a kid. Like most of us I didn't get presents through the year but only on my birthday and Christmas, so by December I usually had a very long list of books and records to hand my family. One of my best Christmastimes was when I got the Neville Stannard discography, which was nice and nerdy and full of arcane facts and trivia. But it was the list of BBC songs in the back that really knocked me for six. They weren't listed by date or anything, just in alphabetical order and I just could not believe how many unreleased songs they did! That was 1982, and coincidentally a few days later they played The Beatlest At The Beeb again (missed it the first time!) So that was a really great Christmas! And forty years later I still prefer the beeb appearances to the actual records, if I'm honest. They are ingrained into my entire DNA. In fact, in many ways they have come to define my life.
kontroller wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:11 am Am I the only one who finds those Karl Denver songs on volume 2 borderline unlistenable? He sounds like a cross between a pub singer and a cat being castrated.
Ha ha! Yes, it had to be said and I'm glad someone has finally said it. He is bloody awful.
Doug wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:53 pm I'd sure rather hear "Zub" than anything by The Lorne Gibson Trio, The Countrymen, Carter-Lewis And The Southerners or any number of the boring guests that PGTB featured!
I really like most of these guest tracks except for "The Auctioneer" which goes on WAY too long. But Scottish yodelling... no, sorry, just can't cope with that although Zub does have a certain unintended comical appeal.
burningfool wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:33 pm If nothing else, the guest group performances highlight just how revolutionary The Beatles must have sounded to the Light Programme audience of 1963.
I am also hearing some upgraded sound - Memphis, Tennessee from PGTB #3 sounds like it comes from a better quality tape, as does part of From Me To You.
It's easy to forget sometimes just how GOOD The Beatles were in 1963. Terry Henebery said once "they were very inexperienced" but I think he mistook youthfull hijinks for lack of professionalism. They were incredibly good at what they did. I mean, how many bands today could just go into a converted cinema, and with barely any preparation sing into some mics straight to mono tape without any signal processing, and have it come out... well, perfect? And in the space of two hours! From the moment they appeared on Saturday Club they shone like a supernova. It still floors me how amazing they were. You think of all that faffing about they did six years later trying to get the perfect Get Back takes - the 1963 Beatles would have nailed the whole project in one day!
JoeWadley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:38 pm An update of “ A COMPLETE CATALOGUE OF THE BEATLES' BBC RADIO PERFORMANCES” would seem to be in order
I'll do that eventually, but take note of the Ramblings included. Lots of new info there.
Montelimar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:46 pm Santa DOES exist, I knew it.
Of course he does. He always did. Image
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

thank you so much ! this reminds me your first "Harry and his box" single CD. My favorite songs "Take Good Care Of My Baby" and "I'm Talking About You" ;)
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME share M'Lord ... Thank you for Vol.3 .....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Welcome back to the Light Programme. And now we resume our regular programming with part 4 of Harry And His Box Set, starring Liverpool's popular beat group The Beatles.

http://tinyurl.com/exp-dec-29

Last edited by Lord Reith on Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Captain_Kidd

Post by Captain_Kidd »

Truly great! And I love the contextual stuff you've added too.. bios on the presenters, the recording locations, the vids, the info.

Christmas is indeed here! :D