I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Post by Tex »

Did UA like the song but said it was too short and asked for an extended edit?

Did they go into the session knowing they needed material for two edits or did they just simply pull from the alternate take with a basic vocal?

Did George Martin simply forget the movie was originally going to use an extended version when it came to album mixing or was that extended version idea and it's use in the movie already dropped when it came to album mixing?

Will Giles " I'm not a Beatles scholar" Martin give us a stereo extended version?
slane

Post by slane »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:51 pm Did UA like the song but said it wqas too short and asked for an extended edit?
I think it was more a case of designing it to dub over the second Can't Buy Me Love in the film. In the end, Dick Lester didn't like the song and the second CBML stayed. Not before UA got the tape for their soundtrack LP though.

Once it was it was out of the film it was edited back down to what seems (to me) like it's 'proper' length, perhaps because it no longer needed to fit the scene.
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Modboy66's long mix is very good. But there are, unfortunately, two weird-sounding bass lines, twice, at the words "And show you what your lovin' man can do." If that can be corrected, then it'll be "perfect." Now that I noticed those flawed bass parts, I can't unhear them.

But I imagine that all you mixing wizards out there, who seem to be able to achieve anything, can probably fix it: especially seeing that the correct bass lines in these sections are available in other stems. So I expect to see someone do a fix. And this is one of the many things that are so exciting about this forum. I love it!

I just wanted to point out something that may have been missed, in the interest of nitpicking perfection and love for the Beatles. I know we all want the songs to sound the best they can.
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

The long mix in stereo is great, except the lead vocal is way too loud..needs to be taken back in level a few notches
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here we go with some tests:

Sample one I have the UA mix in right channel as a guide to re-edit the stereo mix in the left. As others pointed it's two different takes but you can definitely tell at what point they edit back into the earlier take because they can be perfectly synced. The two takes are similar enough you can swap them out except for about 2 seconds leading into the unique part (alt take) that can not be matched or at least I can't find equivalent audio. This weekend I'll try to demux the mono mix to create those unique few seconds in stereo.
hxxps://we.tl/t-mn45IFi0ls

Sample two I have part of the unique section simulated using the most similar section of the short stereo mix (close enough) but with the unique vocal dropped in. It works.
hxxps://we.tl/t-cTKMPM9g5Q

So the real remix issue with creating a credible long mix are those two seconds NOT the unique vocal.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

NowhereFan wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 pm Modboy66's long mix is very good. But there are, unfortunately, two weird-sounding bass lines, twice, at the words "And show you what your lovin' man can do." If that can be corrected, then it'll be "perfect." Now that I noticed those flawed bass parts, I can't unhear them.

But I imagine that all you mixing wizards out there, who seem to be able to achieve anything, can probably fix it: especially seeing that the correct bass lines in these sections are available in other stems. So I expect to see someone do a fix. And this is one of the many things that are so exciting about this forum. I love it!

I just wanted to point out something that may have been missed, in the interest of nitpicking perfection and love for the Beatles. I know we all want the songs to sound the best they can.
I pulled the bass line from the long mono mix. Lead guitar and vocal too. The bass in my mix is what was played - the only new things I flew in were the stereo detambourined drums from Tex’s mix of the short version, and rhythm guitar from same. I “pasted” stereo drums and rhythm guitar and replaced existing tracks of the mono mix in the second part. Closely synching to the mono drums and rhythm guitar in that part. I didn’t change the vocal level from the mono mix, every level I just took a cue from the mono mix. I used UA and Capitol mixes for the mono stems - I A/B ‘ed them - they’re identical - reverb added to Capitol (of course)
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

There have been a few attempts at DES stereo remixes of UA I'll cry instead.
from Mirrorspock,Paul62 and Bianju along with the laserdisc true stereo re edit.

here's a link for the laserdisc edit and Bianju's mix hxxps://we.tl/t-RlHUECqG1H
Tex

Post by Tex »

stereoman33 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:03 pm There have been a few attempts at DES stereo remixes of UA I'll cry instead.
from Mirrorspock,Paul62 and Bianju along with the laserdisc true stereo re edit.

here's a link for the laserdisc edit and Bianju's mix hxxps://we.tl/t-RlHUECqG1H
Unfortunately that edit is a no-go since it simply hard edits back to the very beginning with the tamborine+guitar intro (minus the drums) so half the music drops out. That's the same edit they did for the opening montage in the original VHS release also.

The real UA mono edit goes into a unique section (supposed alternate take) where all the music is continuously playing.

I'm currently trying to rebuild that unique section but it's VERY difficult.
Last edited by Tex on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Can someone re-up the Modboy version?
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:14 pm
stereoman33 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:03 pm There have been a few attempts at DES stereo remixes of UA I'll cry instead.

Unfortunately that edit is a no-go since it simply hard edits back to the very beginning with the tamborine+guitar intro (minus the drums) so half the music drops out. That's the same edit they did for the opening montage in the original VHS release also.

The real UA mono edit goes into a unique section (supposed alternate take) where all the music is continuously playing.

I'm currently trying to rebuild that unique section but it's VERY difficult.
the laserdisc version does but not the other 2,,they're from the ua lp