I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Modboy66

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Post by Modboy66 »

Your work on the drums for this tune made it possible to synch up - really great
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Also the more I get into this the more I realize how great a drummer Ringo is
Bombers_1969

Post by Bombers_1969 »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:14 pm I eliminated the artifacts (lead guitar tones) on the UA mono vocal track and flew in the last chord from the lead guitar stereo stem - there was drop out in the lead guitar channel on the UA and SN mono mixes. I deleted previous mixes so this is it - enjoy

hxxps://we.tl/t-ezXZknOPjL
Thanks for all your work on this!
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Modboy66 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:30 pm Also the more I get into this the more I realize how great a drummer Ringo is
I especially appreciate Ringo when I listen to "A Day in The Life." The first half of the song is pretty much nothing but tasteful fills from him, that really gives it a tension that a steady beat would have lost.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Whenever I hear people - musicians! - tell me Ringo is not a great drummer - the conversation is over! lol
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

For those of you following I got rid of some vocal artifacts - thanks to Lord Reith's first vocal version of the song - and I worked on synching some out of phase guitars - with a bit of each guitar remaining in each channel you can find markers where they stray - probably a glitch in my software, but it's much better! Thanks for caring lol
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I also posted a version with the original mono drum w/ tambourine mix, thanks
Tex

Post by Tex »

95% of extended UA version seems to duplicate the shorter version except that couple seconds before the extra verse.

I'm struggling to match that 2 seconds to anything else but will continue looking. I'm going to pull just that section of the mono and meticulously line it against the entire track a few seconds at time and see if I can find the actual piece or something at least similar.

I suppose I could basically rebuild it from the stems. In the end i may just demux the mono.

Other wise the edit so far is great and the swapped vocal insert sounds almost perfect.
slane

Post by slane »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:58 pm 95% of extended UA version seems to duplicate the shorter version except that couple seconds before the extra verse.

I'm struggling to match that 2 seconds to anything else but will continue looking. I'm going to pull just that section of the mono and meticulously line it against the entire track a few seconds at time and see if I can find the actual piece or something at least similar.

I suppose I could basically rebuild it from the stems. In the end i may just demux the mono.

Other wise the edit so far is great and the swapped vocal insert sounds almost perfect.
The 'extra' verse is a unique recording. The song was taped in two sections:

Section 1 - Verse 1, Verse 2, Middle 8, Verse 3
Section 2 - Verse 1 again, another Middle 8, Verse 3 again

These were joined up to produce the 2 minute+ UA version (probably because the track had to be the same length as Can't Buy Me Love, which it was meant to replace in the film. CBML is in the film twice, but one of these was going to be dubbed over with ICI).

The standard mono and stereo mixes also joined the two sections together, but additionally edited out a bit in the middle - on the last word of Verse 3 (section 1) it cuts to the last word of Verse 1 (section 2). I'll cry (edit) instead.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I'm curious what "Recording the Beatles" has to say if anything because I know what Lewisohn says and if we are going solely by Lewisohn he's gotten lots of stuff wrong. He's totally misinterpreted stuff even though he looked at the actual session sheets.

When I get home I'll post the unique section I have synced to the shorter version.

I'm not saying it's not two takes edited together but seems bizarre to record a basic take at a minute and a half and then record another take meant only as an insert into the first and then only release the short take on the UK LP. Also both takes then got vocal overdubs and a tambourine overdub (different stereo position)