I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Bombers_1969

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Post by Bombers_1969 »

Ronson wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:20 pm
Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pmWe must be on the same wavelength! I spent New Years week doing just that, and other early Capitol Record anomalies - all of which I'll share. Here's the link for I Feel Fine/ She's A Woman viewtopic.php?t=8419
If memory serves, isn't the US mono "I Feel Fine" absolutely drenched in reverb, ala Phil Spector? That will be quite the challenge. :shock:
Yes, also She's A Woman. However, there's an ongoing debate whether the reverb was added by George Martin or Capitol/Dave Dexter. My bet is Capitol.
To maintain the spirit of a remix, the reverb will need to be retained!
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I eliminated the artifacts (lead guitar tones) on the UA mono vocal track and flew in the last chord from the lead guitar stereo stem - there was drop out in the lead guitar channel on the UA and SN mono mixes. I deleted previous mixes so this is it - enjoy

hxxps://we.tl/t-ezXZknOPjL
Last edited by Modboy66 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Bombers_1969 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:39 pm
Ronson wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:20 pm
Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pmWe must be on the same wavelength! I spent New Years week doing just that, and other early Capitol Record anomalies - all of which I'll share. Here's the link for I Feel Fine/ She's A Woman viewtopic.php?t=8419
If memory serves, isn't the US mono "I Feel Fine" absolutely drenched in reverb, ala Phil Spector? That will be quite the challenge. :shock:
Yes, also She's A Woman. However, there's an ongoing debate whether the reverb was added by George Martin or Capitol/Dave Dexter. My bet is Capitol.
To maintain the spirit of a remix, the reverb will need to be retained!
Yes - I kept the stems from the Capitol mixes so the reverb is baked in. That's how I want to hear it - like the fuzz tone on Satisfaction, or the panning on Are You Experienced, etc. I just rebalanced levels and flew in some cleaner bass stems and reversed channels on She's A Woman - which was somehow reversed on Beatles '65 - ha! the Past Masters stereo mixes are dry and are what they are - I didn't use anything from them. I extracted clean bass from the Past Masters mono single mix on She's A Woman
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:14 pm I eliminated the artifacts (lead guitar tones) on the UA mono vocal track and flew in the last chord from the lead guitar stereo stem - there was drop out in the lead guitar channel on the UA and SN mono mixes. I deleted previous mixes so this is it - enjoy

hxxps://we.tl/t-Z8WZ440ijz
Says it expired already?
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

hmm.. try again with updated url on first page
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm hmm.. try again with updated url on first page
That worked. Sounds excellent! Nice job!
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Ronson wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 pm
Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm hmm.. try again with updated url on first page
That worked. Sounds excellent! Nice job!
thanks! updating I Feel Fine now too
Tex

Post by Tex »

I did an analysis and it appears the extended "I'll Cry Instead" is just an edit that repeates the first verse but uses one of the other vocal tracks where he says "get myself locked up today"

I did an initial edit last night now need to a speed correction to refine the edits and swap in the different vocal.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I thought so too but in the mentioned section the lead guitar is different - has a more off-beat hits and different twangy licks, and the bass and drums are following. I synched up the stereo drums, rhythm guitar to follow what the lead guitar, bass and drum were doing in the mono take in the second section. So in my mix I used the mono vocal, bass and lead guitar (L channel) unchanged throughout, and used the stereo rhythm guitar R channel and drums unchanged in first section, then synched them to follow the mono second section.
Tex

Post by Tex »

That means either the tambourine was overdubbed onto both takes or was recorded live as part of the original takes?

When I get my edit done I should be able to figure out exactly how much of the other take was used and where.