I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
alphabeatles

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo question

Post by alphabeatles »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:13 am I did a stereo mix. For vocals used a stem from the stereo mix in the first part (less artifacts less compression less reverb, same performance as the mono), mono stem for the unique second part (it's got a touch of reverb from the Something New mono version). For the guitars - I split the stereo stem into lead guitar left for the first part, and second part lead guitar I used the unique mono part left channel, same volume. Right channel guitar I cleaned up Lennon's right channel from the stereo mix and edited on the second part. This was a challenge because I had to up the gain wherever his vocal is because the compression used on EMI's Fairchild Limiter squashed the acoustic at the vocal. It's nice to hear Lennon's jumbo jangling away in the right channel more clearly. I used the drums from the stereo mix and edited that onto the second part. I used a drum stem from Tex which was nice and very low tambourine (thank you) and added a hint of treble eq. The bass I used the mono throughout and that anchored the tune. I think it works and swings - Hope you all dig it.
hxxps://we.tl/t-8AjcGZHSql
Thanks, very impressive effort, nice mix overall!

Suggestion:

The first half vocal is immediately too loud (and dry) which doesn't match the second half (more balanced with the music, and wet).

Maybe you can offer a second mix with adjustments?

Thanks again!
Tex

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Post by Tex »

Can someone post the actual UA mono mix?
Bombers_1969

Post by Bombers_1969 »

Engonoceras wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:36 pm Can someone post the actual UA mono mix?
Here you go - hxxps://we.tl/t-kDieDVnPKU
Modboy66

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo question

Post by Modboy66 »

alphabeatles wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:28 pm
Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:13 am I did a stereo mix. For vocals used a stem from the stereo mix in the first part (less artifacts less compression less reverb, same performance as the mono), mono stem for the unique second part (it's got a touch of reverb from the Something New mono version). For the guitars - I split the stereo stem into lead guitar left for the first part, and second part lead guitar I used the unique mono part left channel, same volume. Right channel guitar I cleaned up Lennon's right channel from the stereo mix and edited on the second part. This was a challenge because I had to up the gain wherever his vocal is because the compression used on EMI's Fairchild Limiter squashed the acoustic at the vocal. It's nice to hear Lennon's jumbo jangling away in the right channel more clearly. I used the drums from the stereo mix and edited that onto the second part. I used a drum stem from Tex which was nice and very low tambourine (thank you) and added a hint of treble eq. The bass I used the mono throughout and that anchored the tune. I think it works and swings - Hope you all dig it.
hxxps://we.tl/t-8AjcGZHSql
Thanks, very impressive effort, nice mix overall!

Suggestion:

The first half vocal is immediately too loud (and dry) which doesn't match the second half (more balanced with the music, and wet).

Maybe you can offer a second mix with adjustments?

Thanks again!
improved levels and wetness at first part (thank you alphabeatles!): hxxps://we.tl/t-Wwj5eYaaxi
did a second mix using UA mono as a vocal source, seems slightly less reverb hxxps://we.tl/t-SbQscqbUfI
Last edited by Modboy66 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Bombers_1969 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:44 pm
Engonoceras wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:36 pm Can someone post the actual UA mono mix?
Here you go - hxxps://we.tl/t-kDieDVnPKU
did a second mix using UA mono as a vocal source, seems slightly less reverb - same artifacts in vocal channel - I'll see if I can clean those up hxxps://we.tl/t-SbQscqbUfI
Bombers_1969

Post by Bombers_1969 »

Sent Lord Reith the mono ICC a while back to see if he would demix it and here's his response -

"Sent: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:24 pm
by Lord Reith

Hi, I did try and demix the long ICI once but had no luck because it kept thinking the bendy lead guitar licks were vocals!"

Bombers_69
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Bombers_1969 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:46 pm Sent Lord Reith the mono ICC a while back to see if he would demix it and here's his response -

by Lord Reith

Hi, I did try and demix the long ICI once but had no luck because it kept thinking the bendy lead guitar licks were vocals!"

Bombers_69
What I found is high lead guitar notes come through on the end of some vocal phrases - they’re in phase, but they are artifacts found in the mono
Bombers_1969

Post by Bombers_1969 »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:50 pm
Bombers_1969 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:46 pm Sent Lord Reith the mono ICC a while back to see if he would demix it and here's his response -

by Lord Reith

Bombers_69
What I found is high lead guitar notes come through on the end of some vocal phrases - they’re in phase, but they are artifacts found in the mono
Also sent LR the U.S. unique reverb laden mono files for I Feel Fine & She's A Woman. Never received a response. Not sure anyone would want to tackle these? If anyone does, we can start a new thread.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Bombers_1969 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:08 pm
Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:50 pm

by Lord Reith

Bombers_69
Also sent LR the U.S. unique reverb laden mono files for I Feel Fine & She's A Woman. Never received a response. Not sure anyone would want to tackle these? If anyone does, we can start a new thread.
We must be on the same wavelength! I spent New Years week doing just that, and other early Capitol Record anomalies - all of which I'll share. Here's the link for I Feel Fine/ She's A Woman viewtopic.php?t=8419
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Modboy66 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pmWe must be on the same wavelength! I spent New Years week doing just that, and other early Capitol Record anomalies - all of which I'll share. Here's the link for I Feel Fine/ She's A Woman viewtopic.php?t=8419
If memory serves, isn't the US mono "I Feel Fine" absolutely drenched in reverb, ala Phil Spector? That will be quite the challenge. :shock: