I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Modboy66

I’ll Cry Instead - stereo mix

Post by Modboy66 »

2 part question for all you expert Beatles mixologists, although I suspect I know the answer. Was the extended version of I’ll Cry Instead (marrying an edit of a different performance of verse 1 after the bridge) only released in mono on Something New and never released or even executed in true stereo? I guess the second part of my question would be in the case of that being so - is it possible to achieve good quality stems usable to make a good true stereo mix from a mono recording? Thanks

edit: And I did a stereo mix. For vocals used a stem from the stereo mix in the first part (less artifacts less compression less reverb, same performance as the mono), mono stem for the unique second part (it's got a touch of reverb from the Something New mono version). For the guitars - I split the stereo stem into lead guitar left for the first part, and second part lead guitar I used the unique mono part left channel, same volume. Right channel guitar I cleaned up Lennon's right channel from the stereo mix and edited on the second part. This was a challenge because I had to up the gain wherever his vocal is because the compression used on EMI's Fairchild Limiter squashed the acoustic at the vocal. It's nice to hear Lennon's jumbo jangling away in the right channel more clearly. I used the drums from the stereo mix and edited that onto the second part. I used a drum stem from Tex which was nice and very low tambourine (thank you) and added a hint of treble eq. The bass I used the mono throughout and that anchored the tune. I think it works and swings - Hope you all dig it.

edit: improved levels and wetness at first part (thank you alphabeatles!)

edit: did a second mix using UA mono as a vocal source, seems slightly less reverb

final edit: I eliminated the artifacts (lead guitar tones) on the UA mono vocal track and flew in the last chord from the lead guitar stereo stem - there was drop out in the lead guitar channel on the UA and SN mono mixes. I deleted previous mixes so this is it - enjoy

update: improved guitar synch and vocal artifacts (thanks Lord Reith for his first vocal take of the song) with less tambourine
hxxps://we.tl/t-KJH0vMPgBO

and same with mono drum and tambourine hxxps://we.tl/t-20FAhhCRZY
Last edited by Modboy66 on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:17 am, edited 17 times in total.
MP3J

Re: I’ll Cry Instead - stereo question

Post by MP3J »

I just did this quickly..... hXXps://dropmefiles.com/0sRwH
Mono file split into Vocals, bass, guitars, drums.
Drum stem them split into snare, kick and cymbals.
All arranged rapidly into stereo.
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

The extended version was only issued in mono and only on The US United artists label. Here's my mix, I'd love to hear anyone else's!

hXXps://drive.google.com/file/d/1mB03111coZGUZUgqfZXwXNVAFrvDIl2O/view?usp=sharing
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

EdinSc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 pm The extended version was only issued in mono and only on The US United artists label. Here's my mix, I'd love to hear anyone else's!

hXXps://drive.google.com/file/d/1mB03111coZGUZUgqfZXwXNVAFrvDIl2O/view?usp=sharing
Interesting. I was never aware of this extended version. Since this was on the UA label, does that mean it was slotted or cut for the A Hard Day's Night film?
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

EdinSc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 pm The extended version was only issued in mono and only on The US United artists label. Here's my mix, I'd love to hear anyone else's!

If I am not mistaken,I'll Cry Instead United Artists extended version is also in fake stereo.
Mike
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

The long version was issued in true mono on both the United Artists mono Lp and on Capitol's mono "Something New".
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

From what I've read (from Lewisohn and other sources - Hofmann page, Beatles Bible, etc.) - EMI sent Capitol and UA an early mono mix for the mono Something New and soundtrack LP - much as they did sending early mixes to Capitol of the 3 Revolver tunes left off the US version of the album for Yesterday and Today. This early mono mix (which I adore) goes into the first verse again after the bridge - however this is another performance of the first verse, not a copy and paste of the first segment. The UA soundtrack stereo album version is a fake stereo version of the mono version sent to Capitol and UA - not a dedicated true stereo mix. The idea of the long version being the released version was scrapped by EMI (possibly having to do with it being the initial contender for the Can't Buy Me Love sequence in the film, where they escape the studio and run around) and the song was re-edited to it's shorter length and included in dedicated mono and stereo version on the A Hard Day's Night album - and those are the official releases of the tune - with the exception of the original mono mix on Something New and the soundtrack LP. Hopefully Apple will release a true stereo version of that version someday. I'm working on one of my own - ha - and will post it. I'm looking forward to hearing other's takes on it as well!
Last edited by Modboy66 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

MP3J wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:06 pm I just did this quickly..... hXXps://dropmefiles.com/0sRwH
Mono file split into Vocals, bass, guitars, drums.
Drum stem them split into snare, kick and cymbals.
All arranged rapidly into stereo.
thanks - look forward to listening. How do you split a mono stem (after you've first split a mono track into 4 stems - how do you then further split a mono stem - thanks!)?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

I remember on the 80’s VHS version an attempt was made to create an extended stereo version and it just didn’t work
Tex

Post by Tex »

Someone could cheat a bit and just repeat the previous section of music in stereo BUT fly in the unique vocal bit from the extended mix. 8-)

Don't forget the VHS release of the movie has "I'll Cry Instead" in stereo but not sure if it includes the unique section. I seem to recall it did.