Beatles for Sale Remixes?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
slane

Re: Beatles for Sale Remixes?

Post by slane »

NowhereFan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:33 pm My own collection consists of cuts from the mixes of Lord Reith and ProfStoned (very good, for those here who are unfamiliar with him).

Has anyone else in this forum done a remix of that album or even just some of the songs on it?

Later note: I did do a search and found a thread from Sep. 28th of this year about it, with a Bombers_1969 remix. Somehow I missed it at the time.
Something a bit different: viewtopic.php?t=5472
Tex

Post by Tex »

A great go-to album remix would be Lord Reith's "Abracadabra" volume 4.
Last edited by Tex on Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME Share Tex .... Thank you .....
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here are two more attempts.

01 - No Reply (2023 remix)+
hxxps://we.tl/t-kB5Tkoji76

08 - Eight Days A Week (2023 remix)+
hxxps://we.tl/t-uSp3xUpLtx

The "ensemble 8" model at MVSEP worked much better on the drums on "No Reply".
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME stuff Tex - Thank you ....
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:06 am Here are two more attempts.

01 - No Reply (2023 remix)+
hxxps://we.tl/t-kB5Tkoji76

08 - Eight Days A Week (2023 remix)+
hxxps://we.tl/t-uSp3xUpLtx

The "ensemble 8" model at MVSEP worked much better on the drums on "No Reply".
Cool! If you can surpass Giles' Eight Days a Week (one of my favorite Beatles songs), that would be something. I like most of the new "official" mixes as my first choices, including most of the Beatles' singles -- but not all. IMHO several of the earliest ones from 1963 and 1964 have been surpassed by independent remixers such as yourself.

I listened to them and No Reply is virtually identical to ProfStoned's remix from August 2022. I can't find any difference (and I usually do). With Eight Days a Week, I like how Giles made a strong drum beat on the offbeat, whereas in yours and most versions in the past the hand claps function as the main beat. I think that comes down to a matter of taste. I suppose a true "traditionalist" would want the songs to sound basically the same, but upgraded in sound quality. To me, the best part of all the new mixes overall is to highlight Ringo's excellent drumming. Generally, I like to hear parts I haven't heard before, too, to make the songs more "new" and interesting. And in Eight Days a Week, the "new" thing is to hear Ringo's offbeat. ProfStoned did the same sort of thing with She's a Woman and I loved it.

My function here is as sort of a "music critic" I guess, since I do no mixing myself. But I am a very serious collector. I want to emphasize that I always greatly appreciate the work of all remixers, even if I make some criticisms. We all have our favorites for individual songs, in any event. But it's mostly subjective taste. And that's one of many things that makes music -- and Beatles' music -- fascinating and fun.
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
Tex

Post by Tex »

NowhereFan wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:48 am I listened to them and No Reply is virtually identical to ProfStoned's remix from August 2022. I can't find any difference (and I usually do). With Eight Days a Week, I like how Giles made a strong drum beat on the offbeat, whereas in yours and most versions in the past the hand claps function as the main beat. I think that comes down to a matter of taste. I suppose a true "traditionalist" would want the songs to sound basically the same, but upgraded in sound quality. To me, the best part of all the new mixes overall is to highlight Ringo's excellent drumming. Generally, I like to hear parts I haven't heard before, too, to make the songs more "new" and interesting. And in Eight Days a Week, the "new" thing is to hear Ringo's offbeat. ProfStoned did the same sort of thing with She's a Woman and I loved it.
Well, I'm not trying to compete with "Professor Stoned" and certainly not Giles Martin. Professor Stoned should post to this forum.

I did a second mix with the hand-claps slightly reduced and the drums a bit louder with tweaks here and there like moving the edit piece drums to the middle and raising the ending electric guitar which was way to quiet in the 1964 stereo mix anyways. If I ever get to the other album songs I'll post on my own thread so I'll leave this thread for others to add their own. I did the songs I thought I could improve the most.

hxxps://we.tl/t-y2OPjqLfp9
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

I know it's not about competing (or if so, a fun, friendly type like John and Paul). I was just making an observation and giving my opinion, comparing the two. You are both excellent remixers. I'll check out your revised Eight Days a Week, version 2.
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I just got the Professor Stoned mix of BFS. Meh. His remixes are much more narrow I kept mine very wide. Mine are also drier. ;)

Horses for courses...

Seems to me if you get a clean extract of the drums you can have the rest fairly wide there's no reason to narrow the sound-stage. Despite what the official Beatles' remixer thinks, this socks+sandals fan likes the wide discrete sound just so long as the most dynamic elements (drums, bass, lead vocal) are centered.

My previous remixes from 2015 were basically just the left channel panned a little inward and center channel reduced slightly. Now that we have good separation algorithms we can move only the drums and bass inward. Narrowing the entire sound-stage is going backwards to me. :roll:
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

What is most interesting to me about this album is how, in my opinion, the best mixes of Everybody's Trying to be My Baby and Honey Don't are the US versions (2004) from the Capitol Albums box sets. Rockabilly is a very American sound, so I like a bit of reverb and those just sound the best to me.

I generally like a wide soundstage too.