Beatles for Sale Remixes?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
BTL1210

Re: Beatles for Sale Remixes?

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks for the latestest AWESOME share Tex ....
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:18 pm I just got the Professor Stoned mix of BFS. Meh. His remixes are much more narrow I kept mine very wide. Mine are also drier. ;)

Horses for courses...

Seems to me if you get a clean extract of the drums you can have the rest fairly wide there's no reason to narrow the sound-stage. Despite what the official Beatles' remixer thinks, this socks+sandals fan likes the wide discrete sound just so long as the most dynamic elements (drums, bass, lead vocal) are centered.

My previous remixes from 2015 were basically just the left channel panned a little inward and center channel reduced slightly. Now that we have good separation algorithms we can move only the drums and bass inward. Narrowing the entire sound-stage is going backwards to me. :roll:
My own selections for my compiled Beatles for Sale collection (including the songs, I Feel Fine and She's a Woman) indicate my "selectivity" in these matters. I have five from ProfStoned, three from you, three from Lord Reith, two from Giles, two from Capitol Albums (2004), and one from Bombers_1969.

With you more than anyone else, when I hear your new announced mixes, they become my favorites. They have a wonderful quality to them. That will likely be the case here, too, if you announce more from this album, or others, like With the Beatles. I usually prefer ProfStoned mixes if he has the loudest drums, because that is a big priority for me (and clearly for him, too). For softer songs, I generally like others besides ProfStoned, because he tends to make all songs relatively loud, and it doesn't work as well for the non-rock or more "pop" songs.

I stress, as always, that this is just my subjective opinion, and that others have their opinions that are just as valid. It's like comparing ice cream flavors. My own personal general criteria are:

1. Clarity of sound (and I love the old "warm" analogue vinyl sound, if it can be approximated).

2. Different parts easily distinguishable (esp. lead and rhythm guitars) and properly balanced.

3. Lead vocals, drums (as loud as they reasonably should be), and bass in the center.

4. Double-tracked lead vocals both in the center, not separated.

5. Harmony vocals (usually) separated to one side or in both sides.

6. Some reverb, where appropriate. It wasn't always added by Dave Dexter. George Martin sometimes used it, too.

7. Best available audio files for vocals (Bombers' She Loves You was an excellent example of this).
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here's my first public version of a 2023 remix of "Every Little Thing". Let me know if it could use tweaks. This one took using LALAL to get the extra separations I wanted.
hxxps://we.tl/t-yFNgOQrRYR
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Beautiful! Great separation! Thank you
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I think your stereo mixes of BFS are among my favorites, for all of the reasons others have cited. The original mono mixes are still my go to's for Baby's In Black, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party, What You're Doing and the 2 Carl Perkins numbers, as well as Mr. Moonlight and the single. The meshed guitars are part of the appeal to me of those numbers - George's guitar parts on the heads of Spoil the Party and Baby's In Black - great - I just like hearing them a bit buried by the acoustic guitar - or a bit back. Not on the solos obviously. And the anvil-like clank reverb on What You're Doing, I Feel Fine and She's A Woman just have a novel charm that says balls to me. I'd love to hear greater separation of those tracks maintaining those qualities. I thank you again for your excellent work!
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, Lance! 8-)
Ale.
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Another good one!
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME Stuff - Thanks Tex ....
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I had a go at tweaking a few stereo mixes from Beatles For Sale, for me their most satisfying album - andt in doing so I discovered something interesting I never knew - the stereo Beatles '65 version of She's A Woman, in addition to the reverb effects added by Capitol Records in the mastering of the LP, has the channels reversed. I'm sure a lot of you already knew that. Simply reverse those channels and lower the gain you achieve what I tried to do with those mixes. Ha! The Capitol box sets are useful resources. Also the other mixes I tried were all Capitol Records anomalies. The extra reverb and panning differences in guitars mainly. Get the US albums box set and you have it all.
Last edited by Modboy66 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:00 pm Here's my first public version of a 2023 remix of "Every Little Thing". Let me know if it could use tweaks. This one took using LALAL to get the extra separations I wanted.
hxxps://we.tl/t-yFNgOQrRYR
Great work, Tex!
I've missed a few of these. Will you be consolidating them in the near future?
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon