Live in Concert 1964 A.K.A Whiskey Flat (VAL-102)

20YearsAgo

Live in Concert 1964 A.K.A Whiskey Flat (VAL-102)

Post by 20YearsAgo »

I bought this because of the exclusive "A Mystery of the Whiskey Flat" documentary on the DVD. I'll write a bit about that in the comments below, but I'm interested in what others might think of it. As for the audio, well, Valkyrie continues to disappoint. Their "remaster" of this show pales in comparison to Melvin's "Philly & Indy 2020 Remix" and the recent Superb Premium "Philadelphia 1964" disc (which I'll share shortly).
beatles-live-concert-64-aka-whiskey-flat1.jpg
beatles-live-concert-64-aka-whiskey-flat1.jpg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
whiskey b.jpg
whiskey b.jpg (217.21 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
hxxps://easyupload.io/kx4u28
naturalkatsup

Re: Live in Concert 1964 A.K.A Whiskey Flat (VAL-102)

Post by naturalkatsup »

im so sorry you own a valkyrie CD :P really though it seems like all these "for profit" bootleggers like fab! valkyrie and all the giginjapan schlock recycle and regurgitate the same old content, or steal others hard work as if it's their own.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

So.. the documentary. It's not exactly a great piece of film-making. Okay. I didn't expect it to be Oscar-quality. Or even bad network TV quality.

The documentary argues that "Whiskey Flat" show is NOT the September 2, 1964 Philadelphia (like we've all assumed for many years) but from some other date on the '64 US tour. The key points are

a) TMOQ, which was one of the first labels to boot this show, did not believe this was from Philadelphia. As evidence, the documentary shows a section from what is purported to be TMOQ's master sheet for the boot. The problem is, Valkyrie doesn't show the FULL page (which I've shown below). On the full notes (lower left hand corner), TMOQ identified the show as Philadelphia. This comes from "A PIG'S TALE," a 2021 book about the legendary bootleg label.
img11132023_793.jpg
img11132023_793.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1703 times
b) the video known to be taken from the Philadelphia '64 show doesn't synch up with the audio. Again, a specious argument. What's funny is that Valkyrie included the "She Loves You" clip from Philadelpia '64 on their recent BEATLES IN COLOR Vol 4 disc. (Well, actually they lifted the clip from Silver_2000..) And that clip synchs up pretty well, actually.

c) The documentary claims you can't hear any "Hello Philly"-like reference on the tape. Again, unless my ears deceive me, it's pretty obvious. The non-label "Philadelphia 1964 Pre-FM Soundboard" CD probably has the clearest rendition of that moment. About 0:32 into the opening track ("Intro"), you'll hear someone (Paul?) say, "Hello Philly, Good Day!"

Philadelphia 1964 Pre-FM Soundboard: hxxps://we.tl/t-NZiL3ctkAO

But what do others here make of this?
Last edited by 20YearsAgo on Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

naturalkatsup wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:45 am im so sorry you own a valkyrie CD :P really though it seems like all these "for profit" bootleggers like fab! valkyrie and all the giginjapan schlock recycle and regurgitate the same old content, or steal others hard work as if it's their own.
FWIW, there is some "original" work here. The documentary that I mention is, I believe, Valkyrie's own creation. And the "remaster"-- I think they did it themselves. Certainly anyways, I don't think too many others will be trying to claim credit for it.

That said, very few (if any) Valkyries are really satisfying. Years ago, just when people were starting to create stereo demixes, they put out a '65 Paris package that was said to contain a brand new stereo mix. Intrigued, I ponied up my hard-earned money... and found that their exclusive stereo mix was just a low-fi "duophonic" fake stereo mix. Ugh!
AdamBound

Post by AdamBound »

20YearsAgo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:06 am So.. the documentary. It's not exactly a great piece of film-making. Okay. I didn't expect it to be Oscar-quality. Or even bad network TV quality.

The documentary argues that "Whiskey Flat" show is NOT the September 2, 1964 Philadelphia (like we've all assumed for many years) but from some other date on the '64 US tour. The key points are

a) TMOQ, which was one of the first labels to boot this show, did not believe this was from Philadelphia. As evidence, the documentary shows a section from what is purported to be TMOQ's master sheet for the boot. The problem is, Valkyrie doesn't show the FULL page (which I've shown below). On the full notes (lower right hand corner, TMOQ identified the show as Philadelphia. This comes from "A PIG'S TALE," a 2021 book about the legendary bootleg label.

img11132023_793.jpg

b) the video known to be taken from the Philadelphia '64 show doesn't synch up with the audio. Again, a specious argument. What's funny is that Valkyrie included the "She Loves You" clip from Philadelpia '64 on their recent BEATLES IN COLOR Vol 4 disc. (Well, actually they lifted the clip from Silver_2000..) And that clip synchs up pretty well, actually.

c) The documentary claims you can't hear any "Hello Philly"-like reference on the tape. Again, unless my ears deceive me, it's pretty obvious. The non-label "Philadelphia 1964 Pre-FM Soundboard" CD probably has the clearest rendition of that moment. About 0:32 into the opening track ("Intro"), you'll hear someone (Paul?) say, "Hello Philly, Good Day!"

Philadelphia 1964 Pre-FM Soundboard: hxxps://we.tl/t-NZiL3ctkAO

But what do others here make of this?
I do wonder if the supposed sync problems can be chalked up to the angle of the film...I think the audio of them saying "Hello Philly" is kind of damning evidence; plus the fact that this audio doesn't match up with the audio from other Convention centers on this US tour
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Wow. Absolutely superb. Many thanks.
fvallejt

Post by fvallejt »

thanks much !!
davetuba

Post by davetuba »

Thank you!
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thanks for sharing.
MrKIA

Post by MrKIA »

Nice one, thank you!