Real Love and Free As A Bird (new 2024 mixes) + RL/FAAB instrumentals

Fan created remixes and rare variations
buck turgidson

Re: Real Love and Free As A Bird (new 2024 mixes) + tweak

Post by buck turgidson »

to my mind, kit drums should sound like woodchopping in a kitchen, not cannonfire in a gymnasium, generally speaking.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

buck turgidson wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:14 am to my mind, kit drums should sound like woodchopping in a kitchen, not cannonfire in a gymnasium, generally speaking.
Oh I dunno I quite like the drums on these. It reminds me of the clattery drum sound in 1967. The problem is it doesn't really go with John's vocal. The Threetles are playing at full force and John is in half voice. So there's a fundamental mismatch there. They got it more right with Now And Then, but in that instance I think they could have pushed a tiny bit harder as it teeters dangerously on being timid.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:27 am
King Elessar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:09 am Btw are people interested in hearing just the Threetles backing track to FAAB?
Is there any chance that you could share the backing track version of Real Love as well? And thanks a lot for your edit of these tracks!
Better late than never:

http://tinyurl.com/2s3p4ddh
Thanks LR! I think I missed the backing track version of FAAB, can someone please reup?
King Elessar

Post by King Elessar »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:27 am
King Elessar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:09 am Btw are people interested in hearing just the Threetles backing track to FAAB?
Is there any chance that you could share the backing track version of Real Love as well? And thanks a lot for your edit of these tracks!
Better late than never:

http://tinyurl.com/2s3p4ddh
Thank you so much! You're a Legend!
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 am
buck turgidson wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:14 am to my mind, kit drums should sound like woodchopping in a kitchen, not cannonfire in a gymnasium, generally speaking.
Oh I dunno I quite like the drums on these. It reminds me of the clattery drum sound in 1967. The problem is it doesn't really go with John's vocal. The Threetles are playing at full force and John is in half voice. So there's a fundamental mismatch there. They got it more right with Now And Then, but in that instance I think they could have pushed a tiny bit harder as it teeters dangerously on being timid.
actually, i agree. i should have said that my comment was about typical 80s drum sounds, which is a favorite pet hobbyhorse of mine. in that context, lynne's productions are at worst minor offenders and at best quite good.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

buck turgidson wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:17 pm actually, i agree. i should have said that my comment was about typical 80s drum sounds, which is a favorite pet hobbyhorse of mine.
Oh yeah! Everything in the 80s smothered with that big roomy reverb, not just the drums. Makes them very difficult to listen to now without cringing. For a handful of 80s songs I really can't do without I found that I had to deverb them to make them listenable.

The record labels could just release a lot of those 80s albums without reverb and they'd do quite well i think. Bizarely, the sound of something like Rubber Soul is far less dated than something from Huey Lewis And The News, despite between 20 years older.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

miggynav wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:24 pm Thanks LR! I think I missed the backing track version of FAAB, can someone please reup?
Sure:

http://tinyurl.com/exp-feb-17
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:00 am . Bizarely, the sound of something like Rubber Soul is far less dated than something from Huey Lewis And The News, despite between 20 years older.
booming drums and cheesy synths (and - to paraphrase - the default slathering of everything with gratuitous reverb up one side and down the other) ruined 80s pop for me. not to mention ultra-cheesy synth drums! for a painful exercise, imagine rubber soul with synth drums. or remix a favorite track for laughs - i dare you!

reminds me of francis ford coppola making a big deal of the incidental music in "apocalypse now" being done entirely with synths, as if it was something that would never sound dated. turned out to be the opposite of that (though i recall it as not bad, last time i heard it.)
BTL1210

Re: Real Love and Free As A Bird (new 2024 mixes) + RL/FAAB instrumentals

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks M'Lord for the latest shares....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

buck turgidson wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:04 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:00 am . Bizarely, the sound of something like Rubber Soul is far less dated than something from Huey Lewis And The News, despite between 20 years older.
booming drums and cheesy synths (and - to paraphrase - the default slathering of everything with gratuitous reverb up one side and down the other) ruined 80s pop for me. not to mention ultra-cheesy synth drums! for a painful exercise, imagine rubber soul with synth drums. or remix a favorite track for laughs - i dare you!

reminds me of francis ford coppola making a big deal of the incidental music in "apocalypse now" being done entirely with synths, as if it was something that would never sound dated. turned out to be the opposite of that (though i recall it as not bad, last time i heard it.)
The thing I hate about the 80s is that horrible electric piano sound with heavy chorus. EVERYBODY used it! It's like it was compulsory or something. You know the one I mean.