THE DECCA DILEMMA (re-up)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: THE DECCA DILEMMA (Vols. 1-3)

Post by Lord Reith »

Guru-Deva wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:53 pm Unfortunately Pete's playing still spoils every track for me.
He really is irredeemably lousy isn't he?
I'm a drummer myself and have spent many years trying to play with that swing and verve that Ringo plays with. Over the years, I've found the Decca session (or audition or test or whatever) increasingly difficult to listen to and it's down to Pete.
I know the boys aren't on best form, but it's Pete that is by far the worst.
I always feel a bit mean when slagging off Pete. On one hand he definitely dragged them down, but on the other hand I realise that at the time of this recording he had been playing drums for less than two years. The others had all played since they were 14, but he was a late starter. Bearing that in mind, he actually wasn't THAT bad for someone who was basically what you'd call in music terms "Grade 2". It's just that he was way, way behind the others. They got him so they could go to Hamburg (it's telling that they knew he had drums before this but didn't ask him to be their drummer) and John says that in Hamburg he and George and Paul would stomp their feet on the stage to keep him in time, and then Pete worked that four-in-the-bar feel into his playing. That bass drum beat became the foundation of his style and then I guess he learnt to do some cymbal work as well and that embellished it a bit, but he never learnt to do any fills (well, just one). I guess that sort of style worked okay in nightclubs when they were just playing rock songs, but the moment he got to Abbey Road and was asked to do something different it all fell apart.

I also feel bad for him because he was no different from hundreds of other ordinary musicians on Merseyside (or anywhere for that matter). It was just his misfortune to have recorded this tape with a band that went on to be the biggest thing in music. So forever after he's had this unwelcome spotlight shone on him, which is obviously much worse in the internet age. He was okay, he could hold his own as a competent if idiosyncratic rock drummer but placed alongside John, Paul and George he suffers heavily in comparison (and of course with Ringo's recordings). I have sympathy for the guy, but at the same time I'm so glad Ringo got to be their drummer. Even with a session drummer at EMI, he would have been the one playing on all those BBC shows and Ed Sullivan. It just wasn't meant to be. As cruel and unfair as it sounds, he was a placeholder member.

Does the technology allow a clean removal of Pete's noise yet?

Anyone fancy making a Japage 3 version of the Decca stuff?
Yes, but it sounds very strange.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

georgefromhenley wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:56 pm Actually I hope you wont change this with additional bass from the BBC. Stowe was ok because it was "just" an anknown live recording. But Decca was studio and it is as it was.
Please leave it as such.
I worded that badly sorry. I just meant that I would try to retrieve the bass guitar in the same way as I retrieved the vocals on Stowe. Nothing will be added from another source.
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Do you now consider Clean Old Man obsolete with this new version of the Decca Tapes?
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:35 am
georgefromhenley wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:56 pm Actually I hope you wont change this with additional bass from the BBC. Stowe was ok because it was "just" an anknown live recording. But Decca was studio and it is as it was.
Please leave it as such.
I worded that badly sorry. I just meant that I would try to retrieve the bass guitar in the same way as I retrieved the vocals on Stowe. Nothing will be added from another source.
This makes me happy....
firefoxnumber6

Post by firefoxnumber6 »

Wow! and it's not yet Christmas, thank's for these early presents Lord :)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

JoeWadley wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:27 pm Do you now consider Clean Old Man obsolete with this new version of the Decca Tapes?
Yes, entirely.
Ken_peps

Post by Ken_peps »

Thank you so much!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Guru-Deva wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:53 pm I think if Pete's drums were excised from the recording and the timing tightened a little, it would definitely be more enjoyable for me.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I was listening to it - the drumming is so distractingly bad that the music might be better without it. Hell, if having no drummer was good enough for Elvis' Sun sessions, it's good enough for The Beatles' Decca audition! :D
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Doug wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:46 pm
Guru-Deva wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:53 pm I think if Pete's drums were excised from the recording and the timing tightened a little, it would definitely be more enjoyable for me.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I was listening to it - the drumming is so distractingly bad that the music might be better without it. Hell, if having no drummer was good enough for Elvis' Sun sessions, it's good enough for The Beatles' Decca audition! :D
Let's go for it, let's hear such a sample!
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:50 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:46 pm
Let's go for it, let's hear such a sample!
I mean. Memphis is practically a drumless version anyway, so I don't see much of a point.