News to me: The Dirty Mac

Wherever you are, you are here…
twogurusindrag

News to me: The Dirty Mac

Post by twogurusindrag »

Just learned of this "band". From Wikipedia:

The Dirty Mac was a name given by John Lennon to a temporary supergroup he organised in December 1968 that featured Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Mitch Mitchell and himself (as "Winston Leg-Thigh"). The band assembled for a one-off performance on the Rolling Stones' TV special titled The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. The Dirty Mac played Lennon's Beatles composition "Yer Blues" and "Whole Lotta Yoko", an extended blues improvisation in which they were joined by Lennon's wife Yoko Ono and violinist Ivry Gitlis. Recorded on 11–12 December 1968, The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was the first time since the formation of the Beatles that Lennon – who was still in the group – had performed in public without them.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
Lord Reith

Re: News to me: The Dirty Mac

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah, it was a great little band too. Not one that could exist beyong a one-off because there were just too many talented people vying for attention. But that's what's great about that version of Yer Blues: Keith thinks he's on lead bass, Clapton is trying to outdo John's tremendous vocal while John is slapping him down by screaming his guts out, and Mitch Mitchel is trying to drown all three out on drums :) . It's a bloodbath, but truly hair raising stuff.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Take 2 is 1000x better though. Shame they put take 1 in the film! I think that version above was probably what they considered their warm-up.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

OK, I have to say, I like the Rolling Stones, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream.
But I LOVE the Beatles.

So for me it looks like this:
Mitch Mitchell does his job, he knows who he's playing with.

The two guys who are excited are Eric and Keith, they have the chance to play alongside John.
John has charisma. When I first saw the Rolling Stones' R'n'R Circus TV special and Jagger and John appeared together ("I'd like just to give you this, Mike"), I thought:
Oh, Jagger is great, but beside John, he nearly disappears.

----------------------

And there is the jam. Great music, but there's Yoko too. It's like with the Toronto concert. John, Eric, Klaus and Alan.
A great show, but to be honest, Yoko destroys it with her "singing".
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:55 am Take 2 is 1000x better though. Shame they put take 1 in the film! I think that version above was probably what they considered their warm-up.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Here's The Dirty Mac Sessions (1968) complete. I couldn't find it in FLAC.

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vl8gfKZQbNS8vuxSpmnDHvvOkCx43LTk?usp=sharing

Not my rip. Please do not repost the link.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Here's the flac version: hxxps://we.tl/t-z9CHNFyX0l
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

bobzilla wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:56 pm Here's the flac version: hxxps://we.tl/t-z9CHNFyX0l
Thanks.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

I tend to prefer the version from the LLT - I think that it's what you call take 1 (but it's not numbered); more spontaneous. And I like the bass crescendo and Lennon and Clapton both taking the lead alternatively.
The other take was exclusive until the Rock'N'Roll Circus official CD came out with the video - nice take with another great solo by Eric Clapton.
I'm also a huge fan of the "Warming Up Jam" (also from the LLT before the official release by the Rolling Stones) (its name varies depending on which boot it is; it is not the jam with Yoko screaming and violin)

The deluxe version - re-release like 2 years ago- came with a new track "Revolution" - sounds like it never went beyond the rehearsal, but it was nice to hear it played with this band.

Of course the sexiest number was Marianne Faithfull :oops: What was kind of a curse for the Rolling Stones is that in comparison to The Who set, John's "supergroup" and Taj Mahal with Jesse Ed Davis (soon to join later John) the Rolling Stones set looks pale in comparison (in terms of raw power, energy); you have a poor Brian Jones who is in lethargic state.
When Pink Floyd were filmed by A.Maben in Pompeii, The Who in Woodstock, the Altmont concert became more like a documentary about "Murder on the dancefloor" rather than a Rolling Stones concert (D.A Pennebaker who was also behind Crisis movie and the other one about JFK). And ironically the first movie One-To-One by J-L Godard is more like a Godard movie (with all the "acted" black panthers segments) rather than a "Let It Be" movie sessions (although the sessions are great). Initially Godard was more interested in getting the Beatles. There has been a kind of curse or "malentendu" about The Rolling Stones; never succeeded to catch their band at their peak (and Mick Taylor's was another peak).