Fan created remixes and rare variations
jpa

Re: Tex's Rubbery Sole mixes.

Post by jpa »

Many thanks!
Tex

Post by Tex »

I'm very pleased with the new mixes I'm finally hearing the songs the way I have imagined they could be after decades of listening to those wonky-ass stereo mixes.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

A tidied up summary of the notes:

01 Drive My Car (2023 remix)
This mix combines the best parts of multiple mixes. This is slightly modified from earlier this year. I just moved the bass a bit more center and lowered the cowbell 2dbs.

02 Norwegian Wood (2023 remix)
The original vocal as recorded and revealed by the spectral extraction has a lot of sibilance and too much bass leaving it harsh and boomy. I guess it wasn't that noticeable in 1965 because it was buried with the acoustic guitar on the 4-track. I tried to improve the vocal sound a bit and added a tiny splash of reverb to make it stand out in the mix.

03 You Won't See Me (2023 remix)
Spectral demix and remix. One lead vocal is center in my mix, other vocal is more to the right.

04 Nowhere Man (2023 remix)
Spectral demix and remix from the Yellow Submarine DVD soundtrack. The recent deverb algorithm made this finally possible because the original was way too reverby.

05 Think For Yourself (2023 remix)
Spectral demix and remix.

06 The Word (2023 remix)
Spectral demix and remix.

07 Michelle (2023 remix)

This remix was more difficult than it should have been because the low electric guitar notes that play the melodic lines really confused the demux algorithm. After some fiddling and layering I was able to make it work.

08 What Goes On (2023 remix)
A very simple remix. The only thing different from the 1986 remix besides the much better stereo positioning is I added a tiny bit of ping-pong reverb (@ 33ms delay) on the lead guitar and backing vocals to make everything gel a bit more as a mix. Also we hear Paul's "Tell me why!" better. That's actually the most exciting bit in the whole song.

09 Girl (2023 remix)
In my OLD remix I looped the backing vocals to make them wide stereo but I didn't do that this time. I don't want to give Giles Martin any more dumb ideas. On the multi-track the lead and backing vocals are on separate tracks but they are so closely placed on the 1986 digital remix it's impossible to pull them apart they way I did on others.

10 I'm Looking Through You (2023 remix)
This is a very rudimentary recording which makes it harder to remix. I kept it fairly narrow just to keep it cohesive sounding. The only real change is I chose to slightly emphasize one of the vocal tracks rather than a straight double track vocal. I think it sounds better with one Paul a bit more forward.

11 In My Life (2023 remix)
I was going to just redo the Rock Band mix with the de-verbed vocals but I realized the 1986 digital mix has a much better sound overall so I used that as a basis. First I did my old trick of aligning difference and mono mix-downs of the wide stereo mix to get the music in the middle and slight stereo vocals. Then I de-muxed that to get 4 stems for remixing. Then I de-verbed the stereo vocal track to get a "cleaner" vocal track and just the vocal reverb by itself. This gave me 5 very nice stems for remixing. Again this song is a very rudimentary not many options for remixing.

12 Wait (2023 remix)
Again, I started to reuse the Rock Band stems (lazy!) and then I realized I could get the same stems from the 1986 digital remix which has much better sound quality. I de-muxed the separated left and right channels into even more channels and used those for remixing.

13 If I Needed Someone (2023 remix)
And to complete side two here is my previous 2023 remix of "If I Needed Someone" with some more refinement. It was tempting to pitch adjust George a little but I decided not to. I was also able to pull the backing vocals slightly apart.

14 Run For Your Life (2023 remix)
I redid my old mix but now with some spectral separation. Unfortunately there's no way to tame the obnoxious tambourine (it's an overdub). I used the background vocal separation fiendish thingy and was able to separate the lead/backing vocals a bit. Now John is mostly in the middle while Paul is mostly off to the sides during the chorus. Previously the tracks were full wide. Does this track even deserve this level of attention?

14 Run For Your Life (Paul only)
For a larf here is just Paul's contribution to the song which is bass and vocals. He might have done the tambourine also who knows ("he was keen!"). Paul starts 19 seconds in. The sound quality is a bit rough since it's an extraction of an extraction and without the other halves of the audio the sound gets all nut flakey.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME share .... Thanks Tex .....
Tex

Post by Tex »

Thanks AlphaBeatles.

I also heavily use the vintage EMI equalization points to get maximum mid-range clarity. That's very important to demixing and remixing the Beatles. The vintage EQ points are literally the *sound* of the Beatles albums besides the microphones and compressors.

The only improvement I could do in the future would be to use the background vocal separation algorithm to open up more of the the group/harmony vocals *slightly* but the difference would be negligible from the first batch. I would still keep the resultant vocal tracks VERY close to each other to eliminate artifacts. Preventing artifacts was my main concern with this spectral based remix.
steve1950

Post by steve1950 »

Thanks, for posting the tracks I was missing so I would have a complete album. I hope others benefited. I like having the production notes. Very nice, you have breathed more life into this album. Even Paul seems to be enjoying it.
Attachments
paul.jpg
paul.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Tex

Post by Tex »

I don't wan't to start a thread for a single since this was recorded with the album. Here is an unreleased remix of "Day Tripper" I did last year. It sounds decent as is. I didn't release it earlier because it started as a demix/remix of an OLD mix as a test and somehow ballooned into a 12-track monster. I want to revisit this again but only by going back to the raw session take and redoing everything from scratch since the 20 year old DAW work folder is lost. I'll keep the year as 2022 and new one will be 2023.

"Day Tripper (2022 remix)"
hxxps://we.tl/t-dBs0MsRTsx
Last edited by Tex on Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tex

Post by Tex »

After listening the the whole album outside (without room reflections/phase issues) and hearing all the mixes is succession I decided the acoustic guitar on "Run For You Life" was too low and the chorus vocals were too high. I have adjusted that in the new mix.

"Run For You Life (2023 remix)"
hxxps://we.tl/t-gJxMFOyqTC

Tex.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you Tex for your latest shares ......
steve1950

Post by steve1950 »

Will you be celebrating NFD 2023 today?
Attachments
NFD 2023.jpg
NFD 2023.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 633 times