It's The Beatles 1963 Reconstruction

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
silver_2000

It's The Beatles 1963 Reconstruction

Post by silver_2000 »

Finished Project: hxxps://we.tl/t-P9wgWwII5m

Currently working on a project inspired by Doctor Robert's great 1964 USA Tour Reconstruction. My project will be editing together the full It's The Beatles 1963 live show, I will use a remixed verison of the concert, sourced from Lord Reith's BBC collection. I will primairly be using footage pre-sullivan, to really capture the 1963 Beatles feel. I might have to dip in a little bit to after-sullivan stuff to fill in some gaps, primarily with Boys!.

Now, a question for people in the know, is there any chance that the uncut Its The Beatles special will ever be found, it was famously cut up quite severely, with only three of the songs being archived.. Is is there any chance it is out there? or is there simply no way.
-

(A camera angle from the special that only appears for a few seconds, would be great to see She Loves You, or All My loving backing vocals from it, only in our dreams!)
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 12.08.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 12.08.20 PM.png (444.69 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
Last edited by silver_2000 on Mon May 27, 2024 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepe_Java

Re: It's The Beatles 1963 Reconstruction

Post by Pepe_Java »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:20 pm Currently working on a project inspired by Doctor Robert's great 1964 USA Tour Reconstruction. My project will be editing together the full It's The Beatles 1963 live show, I will use a remixed verison of the concert, sourced from Lord Reith's BBC collection. I will primairly be using footage pre-sullivan, to really capture the 1963 Beatles feel. I might have to dip in a little bit to after-sullivan stuff to fill in some gaps, primarily with Boys!.

Now, a question for people in the know, is there any chance that the uncut Its The Beatles special will ever be found, it was famously cut up quite severely, with only three of the songs being archived.. Is is there any chance it is out there? or is there simply no way.

(A camera angle from the special that only appears for a few seconds, would be great to see She Loves You, or All My loving backing vocals from it, only in our dreams!)
I am interessed in help the project!
The Beatles Lost Performances: http://beatleslostperformances.great-site.net/
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

By coincidence I listened to this concert yesterday. This would be an interesting project.

I highly doubt there is a complete version though. They may well have intended to sell it overseas but there was much consternation within the BBC about the poor technical quality of the show, so I doubt that ever happened. I guess that does not rule out there being a one off audition print that was taken home by somebody but that's really clutching at straws.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:58 pm By coincidence I listened to this concert yesterday. This would be an interesting project.

I highly doubt there is a complete version though. They may well have intended to sell it overseas but there was much consternation within the BBC about the poor technical quality of the show, so I doubt that ever happened. I guess that does not rule out there being a one off audition print that was taken home by somebody but that's really clutching at straws.
If only, sad news!
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:58 pm By coincidence I listened to this concert yesterday. This would be an interesting project.

Hey I hope you see this, just realized something mid editing money, syncing the video source to your full concert source, whats the reasoning behind the video source sounding higher quality then the full concert source?
Things just seem cleaner, the vocals seem to pop a lot more. The same thing happens in Melbourne 64, where the video source audio is higher quality then the full concert audio source.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

silver_2000 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:16 pm Hey I hope you see this, just realized something mid editing money, syncing the video source to your full concert source, whats the reasoning behind the video source sounding higher quality then the full concert source?
Things just seem cleaner, the vocals seem to pop a lot more. The same thing happens in Melbourne 64, where the video source audio is higher quality then the full concert audio source.
The full concert is recorded from the original tv broadcast. How exactly he did that without receiving a lethal electric shock is up for debate. But the tv audio back then was AM and not as good quality as the videotape itself.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

TV sound was fm mono quality
In fact the FM band is a small section of the entireTV band!
No idea why youd think it was bad am sound

Easy to get a line out on a tv.
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

stereoman33 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:37 am
Easy to get a line out on a tv.
Easy in 1963 ? :?:
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:20 pm Currently working on a project inspired by Doctor Robert's great 1964 USA Tour Reconstruction. My project will be editing together the full It's The Beatles 1963 live show, I will use a remixed verison of the concert, sourced from Lord Reith's BBC collection. I will primairly be using footage pre-sullivan, to really capture the 1963 Beatles feel. I might have to dip in a little bit to after-sullivan stuff to fill in some gaps, primarily with Boys!.

Lost Media Wiki, a community effort to track down lost or hard-to-find media!
https://lostmediawiki.com/w/index.php?s ... tles&go=Go

maybe this help this cool page with alot stuff and a lot people that recovery stuff in UK involved this page
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:20 am
silver_2000 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:16 pm Hey I hope you see this, just realized something mid editing money, syncing the video source to your full concert source, whats the reasoning behind the video source sounding higher quality then the full concert source?
The full concert is recorded from the original tv broadcast. How exactly he did that without receiving a lethal electric shock is up for debate. But the tv audio back then was AM and not as good quality as the videotape itself.
""""The full concert is recorded from the original tv broadcast. How exactly he did that without receiving a lethal electric shock is up for debate. But the tv audio back then was AM and not as good quality as the videotape itself.""

I agree about lethal electric shock but I DO KNOW in '60s people wired right into the TV to get Doctor Who perfectly This is called " crystal clear recordings" with Doctor Who people, one guy Gramham Strong recorded on Reel to Reel from 1964-1969/70 so it possibly a lot of others did this also only ones I know of are DW people as i have few them...

Most of these fan audio recordings were done crudely, basically just putting the microphone of a cassette recorder next to their TV speakers. The quality depended massively on the tuning of their TVs and the ambient sound in the area - several First Doctor stories in particular suffer from this. There is one big exception: the infamous "crystal clear recordings" made by Graham Strong.

Graham Strong's crystal clear recordings are something of a legend among Doctor Who fans who are passionate about the missing episodes.

Unlike most Doctor Who fans who were recording the audio of episodes, including (among other people) Doctor Who Magazine writer and early superfan Richard Landen and (of course) Ian Levine,
Strong managed to avoid external noise by connecting his Philips EL3548 tape recorder directly to his television via audio cable.

This method had the rather dangerous effect of potentially causing the tape recorder to be live - Strong had to be careful when constructing the setup to not let the tape recorder connect with the ground, and it's honestly kind of a miracle that he managed to record in this way without accidentally electrocuting himself.

Strong's [ http://www.gstrong.co.uk/drwho.html] collection of crystal clear recordings spans from episode 8 of "The Daleks' Master Plan" in late 1965 to episode 5 of "The Dominators" in 1968. There are some significant gaps - he never recorded episode 11 of "Master Plan" due to not being home at the time, and he erased the mostly missing story "The Celestial Toymaker" due to not liking that story. The crystal clear recordings also don't include most reprises from previous episodes or the opening and closing credits - he used the lowest recording speed possible (1 7/8 inches/second) and made these cuts in order to fit an astonishing 32 episodes onto each 7-inch reel of tape, which allowed him to actually record all these episodes on his very limited teenage budget. Still, for most missing episodes, the Strong recordings are the primary source heard by Doctor Who fans to this day.

hxxps://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/sq ... ctor_whos/

Also his webpage http://www.gstrong.co.uk/drwho.htm show photos of the reel to reels he used starting 1964
Chris