Paul McCartney 1976-06-23 WINGS-Forum-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-061]

I can help you out, but I cannot help you in…
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

830MB I'm listening to it, really good recording, & awesome sound!!!

Dan Lampinski Tapes [East Coast], I'm not aware of him recording Wings or Ringo...

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZrrFDWCNqSGAV8XI9T-VkJ1nvvmD49Fi/view?usp=sharing

Mike Millard did 3 Macca concerts, 1989-11-23, will be next after
I post 'RRRRock Show', sortly, a nearly 1 hour Soundboard
1989-11-29 will be posted once I'm able to get the link

Paul McCartney 1989-11-23 Forum-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-133]
I downloaded the version omitted 'Sgt. Pepper', as it was on Tripping 'Highlights'
I'm re-upping the Complete Version, as I perfer that

Also doing: James Taylor 1981-05-03 Wilshire Theater-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-081]

Paul McCartney 1989-11-29 Forum-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-043]
Th

Paul McCartney & Wings

The Forum

Inglewood, CA

June 23, 1976

Mike Millard Master Tapes via JEMS

The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 61

16/44 Edition

Recording Gear: AKG 451E Microphones (CK-1 cardioid capsules) > Nakamichi 550 Cassette Recorder

Transfer: Mike Millard Master Cassettes > Nakamichi CR-7A (azimuth adjustment; Dolby On) > Sound Devices USBPre 2 > Audacity 2.0 capture > iZotope RX8 > iZotope Ozone 8 > Audacity > TLH > FLAC

01 Venus And Mars

02 Rock Show

03 Jet

04 Let Me Roll It

05 Spirits Of Ancient Egypt

06 Medicine Jar

07 Maybe I'm Amazed

08 Call Me Back Again

09 Lady Madonna

10 The Long And Winding Road

11 Live And Let Die

12 Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)

13 Richard Cory

14 Bluebird

15 I've Just Seen A Face

16 Blackbird

17 Yesterday

18 You Gave Me The Answer

19 Magneto And Titanium Man

20 Go Now

21 My Love

22 Listen To What The Man Said

23 Let 'Em In

24 Time To Hide

25 Silly Love Songs

26 Beware My Love

27 Letting Go

28 Band On The Run

29 Hi, Hi, Hi

30 Soily

Known Issues:

-Small dropout fixes in "Magneto and Titanium Man" and "Go Now"

Introduction to the Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Series

Welcome to JEMS’ Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone series presenting recordings made by legendary taper Mike Millard, AKA Mike the MICrophone, best known for his masters of Led Zeppelin done in and around Los Angeles circa 1975-77. For the complete details on how tapes in this series came to be lost and found again, as well as JEMS' long history with Mike Millard.

Until 2020, the Lost and Found series presented fresh transfers of previously unavailable first-generation copies made by Mike himself for friends like Stan Gutoski of JEMS, Jim R, Bill C. and Barry G. These sources were upgrades to circulating copies and in most instances marked the only time verified first generation Millard sources had been directly digitized in the torrent era.

That all changed with the discovery of many of Mike Millard’s original master tapes.

Yes, you read that correctly, Mike Millard’s master cassettes, long rumored to be destroyed or lost, have been found. Not all of them but many, and with them a much more complete picture has emerged of what Millard recorded between his first show in late 1973 and his last in early 1992.

The reason the rediscovery of his master tapes is such a revelation is that we’ve been told for decades they were gone. Internet myths suggest Millard destroyed his master tapes before taking his own life, an imprudent detail likely concocted based on the assumption that because his master tapes never surfaced and Mike’s mental state was troubled he would do something rash WITH HIS LIFE’S WORK. There’s also a version of the story where Mike’s family dumps the tapes after he dies. Why would they do that?

The truth is Mike’s masters remained in his bedroom for many years after his death in 1994. We know at least a few of Millard’s friends and acquaintances contacted his mother Lia inquiring about the tapes at the time to no avail. But in the early 2000s, longtime Millard friend Rob S was the one she knew and trusted enough to preserve Mike’s work.

Paul McCartney, The Forum, Inglewood, CA, June 23, 1976

Our Mike the Mike December kicks off with another of the master's most famous works, Paul McCartney and Wings at The Forum in Inglewood, CA, June 23, 1976, the final night of a three-show run.

McCartney's first solo appearance in Los Angeles was a MAJOR event, as was the whole of the Wings Over America tour. Not only was it Macca, it was Macca performing Beatles songs and a whole lot more. Ticket demand was huge as was interest in recordings of the tour. Soon after the LA show, a triple, colored-vinyl bootleg box set of the show appeared titled Wings From The Wings. It is said this high-quality, audience-recorded bootleg was one of the factors that motivated the release of the official Wings Over America triple live album in December 1976.

The Wings From the Wings bootleg, released on the Idle Mind Productions label, used Mike Millard's audience tape which explains the quality. His recording has circulated in a limited fashion ever since, though most know it from the vinyl pressing.

This marks the first time Mike's original master cassettes have been properly transferred and digitized and should represent a material upgrade to prior versions. It is another astonishingly good audience recording, recorded from the third row at The Forum, and offering wide fidelity and clarity. Samples provided.

The setlist blends Wings hits, some relatively obscure material, a couple of covers and five Beatles songs: "Lady Madonna," "The Long and Winding Road," "I've Just Seen a Face," "Blackbird" and "Yesterday." The band line-up was McCartney, joined by his wife Linda on keyboards, guitarist Denny Laine, Jimmy McCulloch on bass and Joe English on drums, plus a four-piece horn section: Howie Casey, Steve Howard, Thaddeus Richard and Tony Dorsey.

There's also a fine soundboard recording of this same show, the Rockshow film and various, lengthy pro-shot segments from the Forum shows on YouTube. But I found listening to Mike's high-quality audience recording of McCartney '76 more enjoyable. The audience sound adds an integral organic element and makes for a vivid document of what the show was like.

Here's what Jim R recalled about Paul McCartney's final night at the Forum in 1976:

I attended the Wings concert with Mike at The Forum on June 23, 1976. Our equipment got smuggled via the wheelchair. As usual, Mike drove the two of us.

We had primo seats on the floor, Section B, Row 3. Third row center--the favorite within our chosen sweet spot to record. We camped out in front of the box office to get these tickets. McCartney's Forum run was a big event with equally massive demand for tickets. Scalper prices were $$$. This show was the last of three at The Forum and it was also the last night of Wings' North American tour.

Mike and I were blown away at the idea of seeing a Beatle. I’m old enough to remember buying their records on the day they came out. As we had done with Led Zeppelin the prior year, Mike and I drove to San Diego a few days earlier to scout the show and figure out when he would be making his tape flips.

This was a history-making event. A couple times during the show, Mike and I would knowingly look at each other, then down to the dancing Nak 550 level meters, and with a sly smirk acknowledge to each other that we were in the middle of capturing an awesome tape. It should be noted that out of the hundreds of shows we went to together, this recognition only happened a handful of times. Otherwise we were all business.

After the concert, when we got back to Mike’s Peugeot, we listened to the recording with headphones. A couple of people walking by asked what we were doing and Mike handed them the headphones and gave them a listen.

Paul was engaging with the audience and almost seemed like a normal guy. There was an underlying theme throughout the show that this was a Wings concert and not just a Paul McCartney concert. Paul humbly shared the spotlight with other members of Wings, with some performing their own tunes.

About the Wings From The Wings bootleg. Mike was pissed when he found out. One more reason to watermark the copies he gave out of his recordings. In 1976, bootleg pressings were pretty rough so they were inferior, but to Mike it was the principle.

I have been looking forward to this concert being posted. I hope you enjoy the show as much as Mike and I did.

###

JEMS is proud to partner with Rob, Jim R, Barry G and others to release Millard's historic recordings and to help set the record straight about the man himself.

We can’t thank Rob enough for reconnecting with Jim and putting his trust in our Millard reissue campaign. He kept Mike’s precious tapes under wraps for two decades, but once Rob learned of our methods and stewardship, he agreed to contribute the Millard DATs and cassettes to the program. Our releases would not be nearly as compelling without Jim’s memories, photos and other background contributions. As many of you have noted, the stories offer an entertaining complement to Mike’s incredible audio documents.

Thanks this week once again go to Professor Goody for pitch assessment and to mjk5510 for taking on this big project during a busy time of year.

Finally, cheers to the late, great Mike the MICrophone. His work never ceases to impress. May he rest in peace.

BK for JEMS
fvallejt

Re: Paul McCartney 1976-06-23 WINGS-Forum-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-061]

Post by fvallejt »

THANK YOU !!
dmh84

Re: Paul McCartney 1976-06-23 WINGS-Forum-Los Angeles, CA [Mike Millard Tapes-061]

Post by dmh84 »

Deeply appreciated.
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen: Volker