Get Back Glyn Johns 1st acetate source?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
iPanggo

Get Back Glyn Johns 1st acetate source?

Post by iPanggo »

Hi everyone, while continuing my Watching Rainbows project, I figured that I would need to integrate some bits from Glyn John's first test acetate of Get Back.

I already have the WBCN Radio broadcast and the "Elektra" source, both from Yellow Dog, however I was wondering, is there a better source/remaster without the awful denoising and declicking done by YD?

I guess the same question applies for some of the other GB acetates too.
Thanks in advance!
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
yymca6

Re: Get Back Glyn Johns 1st acetate source?

Post by yymca6 »

Send me a PM asking for it. Upon returning from France next Wednesday (the 12th) I will send you a link with what I have. You might find something in there.
Yves
Doug

Post by Doug »

Yellow Dog's issue of the WBCN tape is inferior to the original "Posters, Incense and Strobe Candles" CD, issued by Vigotone in 1993. And, while that disc is still enjoyable as an artifact, it was surpassed by Idle Mind's "Off Elektra Acetate" CD in 2012. Helter Skelter took some of the noise off of this and issued it as "Get Back - The Elektra Acetate," so it's all a matter of whether you prefer the cleaner or unprocessed tape (although even the Idle Mind CD did have some minor processing applied to it).
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

To me a reconstruction using the later Glyn Johns mixes is preferable as it can then be heard with the missing other channel. It is pretty much possible to recreate the whole thing that way. A couple of peeps have done one and at least one was shared on here if I recall correctly...
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

Doug wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:23 am Yellow Dog's issue of the WBCN tape is inferior to the original "Posters, Incense and Strobe Candles" CD, issued by Vigotone in 1993. And, while that disc is still enjoyable as an artifact, it was surpassed by Idle Mind's "Off Elektra Acetate" CD in 2012. Helter Skelter took some of the noise off of this and issued it as "Get Back - The Elektra Acetate," so it's all a matter of whether you prefer the cleaner or unprocessed tape (although even the Idle Mind CD did have some minor processing applied to it).
Upon further inspection, I do happen to have the Helter Skelter release, and indeed it does sound like the best source to me, thanks for the info!
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:11 pm To me a reconstruction using the later Glyn Johns mixes is preferable as it can then be heard with the missing other channel. It is pretty much possible to recreate the whole thing that way. A couple of peeps have done one and at least one was shared on here if I recall correctly...
Pretty much the only compilation that does need a reconstruction/serious restoration work is the 2nd, of which the only available source is the crappy 1-channel O.P.D. vinyl (correct me if I'm wrong!). If I'll ever need to use some of that for my WR project, I'll probably try something
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

iPanggo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:44 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:11 pm To me a reconstruction using the later Glyn Johns mixes is preferable as it can then be heard with the missing other channel. It is pretty much possible to recreate the whole thing that way. A couple of peeps have done one and at least one was shared on here if I recall correctly...
Pretty much the only compilation that does need a reconstruction/serious restoration work is the 2nd, of which the only available source is the crappy 1-channel O.P.D. vinyl (correct me if I'm wrong!). If I'll ever need to use some of that for my WR project, I'll probably try something
The only physical complication uses OPD yes. But I am referring to 'fanmade' attempts using the 3rd. You can pretty much completely reconstruct the 2nd mix from the 3rd. Very good attempts have been made by powerpc and tulirepo.

Sources used were Vigotone – VT-218/234; Yellow Dog Records – YD 006; Untouched Elektra Acetate; A/B Road. Plus OPD was needed as the only source of small bits of 'Get Back' and 'Dig It'.
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:57 am
iPanggo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:44 pm
The only physical complication uses OPD yes. But I am referring to 'fanmade' attempts using the 3rd. You can pretty much completely reconstruct the 2nd mix from the 3rd. Very good attempts have been made by powerpc and tulirepo.

Sources used were Vigotone – VT-218/234; Yellow Dog Records – YD 006; Untouched Elektra Acetate; A/B Road. Plus OPD was needed as the only source of small bits of 'Get Back' and 'Dig It'.
Indeed, I took a look at the 2nd comp and it should be really easy to do a reconstruction.

Anyway, I figured I'll be using the 3rd comp from LIB SDE (plus the Japan For You Blue with the original vocals) and the 1st comp/Oldies for exclusive stuff. The "Complete Home Recordings and Sessions" PDF is helping quite a bit for this purpose :)
maul

Post by maul »

iPanggo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 pm The "Complete Home Recordings and Sessions" PDF is helping quite a bit for this purpose :)
Just curious ;) : the title seems a mix of my PDF and Lewisohn books, or is it a Book/PDF I wasn't aware of?
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

maul wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:15 am
iPanggo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 pm The "Complete Home Recordings and Sessions" PDF is helping quite a bit for this purpose :)
Just curious ;) : the title seems a mix of my PDF and Lewisohn books, or is it a Book/PDF I wasn't aware of?
Mauro, I assumed he was meaning your excellent 'THE COMPLETE STUDIO & HOME RECORDINGS'...but got the name a bit wrong!
Last edited by ianbuckers on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.