Ready Steady Go! (almost complete)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: Ready Steady Go! (almost complete)

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm glad all over that Dave Clarke snapped those up. In the 80s they were an incredible gift to Beatles fans. Actual entire complete performances from the B&W era. I can remember renting all the tapes from a record shop and dubbing them with two vcrs, thinking "This is incredible!" Some of my friends were there and they were most amused by the witty banter too.

The 80s was the exact right time to issue all that kind of stuff they are only getting around to now. Interest in The Beatles was spectacularly high. It's such a shame all we got was "highlights" in Anthology and Live At The BBC. They really missed their window. Ah well... at least we got it in the end.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Yes, when those RSG episode re-emerged in the early 80's it was revelation and for me a bit of vindication. They were shown on TV here in the UK before they were released (at least partly) on VHS.

About 1974 I can remember being in hospital with appendicitis and watching TV in the TV room when they showed a clip of the Beatles mining to "It Won't be Long". A few years later I told another Beatle fan at school about having seen it and I remember him saying I was probably mistaken because they wouldn't mime it as it wasn't a single. Anyway it was great to see the whole clip 9 or 10 years later on those replays of RSG.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I was there too, on Friday evenings after school. The weekend was upon us and I sat there in front of the TV (no remote) ready to press record on the VHS player whenever any hint of a Beatle appearing turned up. I was only 14 so couldn't record the whole shows as I didn't have enough blank videos! Up to then all I had, Beatle-wise, was a copy of the Betamax version of 'The Complete Beatles', recorded for my Dad by the local video shop as they didn't have it on VHS. These Ready, Steady, Go's really boosted the amount of Beatles video I had and I rewatched those clips over and over and over again!

Thing is, I didn't see that Helen Shapiro 'Look Who It Is' sequence, with John, George and Ringo, until years and years later. Though I had the 'Jump the Broomstick' mime competion which Paul judged on the same show on my tapes. Did I miss The HS part? Or was it not part of that 80s re-broadcast bunch?
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Another rare thing was Beatles interviews. I collected a few like "Hear The Beatles Tell All" and "Timeless" but there was not a whole lot out there. Then I remember all those "Cicadelic" albums coming out and that was like Interview Overload! I damned loved those albums. Still do in fact. I suppose because I was the same age as The Beatles were when they recorded them I found it endlessly interesting to hear their views on life, and their humour.
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:01 am I was there too, on Friday evenings after school. The weekend was upon us and I sat there in front of the TV (no remote) ready to press record on the VHS player whenever any hint of a Beatle appearing turned up. I was only 14 so couldn't record the whole shows as I didn't have enough blank videos! Up to then all I had, Beatle-wise, was a copy of the Betamax version of 'The Complete Beatles', recorded for my Dad by the local video shop as they didn't have it on VHS. These Ready, Steady, Go's really boosted the amount of Beatles video I had and I rewatched those clips over and over and over again!

Thing is, I didn't see that Helen Shapiro 'Look Who It Is' sequence, with John, George and Ringo, until years and years later. Though I had the 'Jump the Broomstick' mime competion which Paul judged on the same show on my tapes. Did I miss The HS part? Or was it not part of that 80s re-broadcast bunch?
I'm certain you're correct, they never showed that "Look Who It Is" clip on the original 80's re-runs even though they did show most other parts of that episode. The other notable thing missing was the intro to Twist and Shout where they were wheeled in, that first re-appeared just a few years ago,
AdamBound

Post by AdamBound »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:52 pm Without The Beatles songs? Seriously? You can't have the sixties without The Beatles.
Gaining the rights to license and distribute a DVD with Beatles music is extremely difficult and expensive these days sadly, but this collection has a ton from many 60s bands, and there still should be Beatles interviews in tact I believe!
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AdamBound wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:58 am
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:52 pm Without The Beatles songs? Seriously? You can't have the sixties without The Beatles.
Gaining the rights to license and distribute a DVD with Beatles music is extremely difficult and expensive these days sadly, but this collection has a ton from many 60s bands, and there still should be Beatles interviews in tact I believe!
Well actually I recall the Paul interview from Show 2 was incomplete on the LD/vhs so at least that's something.
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Yes, I think you need several sources to get all of what's been issued in various places, especially the interview segments. I remember in one section they ask John his opinion on dialectic materialism and he gives an unexpectedly intellectual response. I've rarely seen that clip though I must have it somewhere on my hard drives. Either way, it means that any 'complete' compilation would almost certainly be from multiple sources which isn't ideal.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Has anyone yet gathered all the appearances by The Beatles in the best quality and put them all in one mp4 file? :)
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Choking Smoker wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:29 amI remember in one section they ask John his opinion on dialectic materialism and he gives an unexpectedly intellectual response. I've rarely seen that clip though I must have it somewhere on my hard drives.
It's at the very end of the 1963 appearance.