New DEMUCS tool: FoxJoy Reverb Removal

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Rickenbacker325

Re: New DEMUCS tool: FoxJoy Reverb Removal

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:49 am Well I couldn't resist doing the US Long Tall Sally mix so here y'all are:

https://tinyurl.com/2p9fptwn

Must try this on Oasis... always wanted to know what they really sound like.
Sounds great…little mistakes are now audible…Dave Dexter is rolling over in his grave
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

As a fellow resident of Kansas City, Missouri, I can't tell you the pain it brings me to dismantle Dave Dexter Jr's legacy one rung at a time. :lol:

Here's my I Call Your Name mix: hXXps://we.tl/t-80PHZxTNTO

I'm working on trying to figure out how to deal with the alternate mono mixes of She's A Woman and I Feel Fine. If anybody knows what EQ undoes the duophonic process, I may be able to get a dry RM2 of these tracks. I tried a sort of cheating where I turned the reverbed mono mixes into fake ADT stereo, but that removed much too much of the frequencies.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I have to say I couldn't hear any difference between the US long tall sally and the UK long tall sally. I call your name is a great one though, because the US mix cuts to the "cowbell" take earlier (just after John's first "I") which is much less awkward sounding, and also the line "Don't you know I can't take it" after the solo is from a different take.

What are the mixing differences in the US iff/saw?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:07 pm Sounds great…little mistakes are now audible…Dave Dexter is rolling over in his grave
Roll Over Dave Dexter

Gonna write a little song, gonna mail it to my Capitol rep
It's a rockin' little number I want Dave Dexter to get
Roll over Dave Dexter, gotta mix it again you bet

You know the reverb is rising, the mixer's blown a fuse
My heart beatin' echo to the sound of Duophonic blues
Roll over Dave Dexter, and turn one album into two
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:10 am What are the mixing differences in the US iff/saw?
According to documentation, they're different mono mixes from the actual EMI mixing sessions. Maul's "variations" document says so, but I'll check out Lewisohn too (as that book is pretty good at mentioning when different EMI mixes were supplied to Capitol). If I had to hazard a guess, it has something to do with the volume or dryness of the vocal track (especially given that's where most of the existing variances in their 1964 mixes are). I've been trying to recreate actual Martin/Emerick mixes in higher quality and with truer representations of how the actual tapes would sound.

For example, from an upcoming project, here's how I believe RS2 of The Night Before would have sounded: hXXps://we.tl/t-fTDhhLWywV

It mostly amounts to rebalancing and changing the volume of the center track. Who knows, maybe this mix was made specifically TO be collapsed to mono?
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

20YearsAgo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:58 pmWow-- this is like a totally different version compared to the US Second Album version I grew up listening to. More like a BBC recording the Dave Dexter Jr thing.
That was my first impresssion, that it sounded more like a BBC recording than the LP version that sounded like it was recorded in Carlsbad Caverns.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Bianju wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:23 amIf I had to hazard a guess, it has something to do with the volume or dryness of the vocal track (especially given that's where most of the existing variances in their 1964 mixes are). I've been trying to recreate actual Martin/Emerick mixes in higher quality and with truer representations of how the actual tapes would sound.
That's a good approach. Presumably most of the mixing differences would be neutered by Dexter's heavy handed application of reverb. He also narrowed the stereo (I widened the LTS mix I posted).

It's hard to understand what he was thinking. I can't think of any other records in the US that sounded like that! It's like he just was annoyed that they were being released, and so decided to add his own stamp to it, like a dog weeing on a tree.
Rickenbacker325

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:14 am
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:07 pm Sounds great…little mistakes are now audible…Dave Dexter is rolling over in his grave
Roll Over Dave Dexter

Gonna write a little song, gonna mail it to my Capitol rep
It's a rockin' little number I want Dave Dexter to get
Roll over Dave Dexter, gotta mix it again you bet

You know the reverb is rising, the mixer's blown a fuse
My heart beatin' echo to the sound of Duophonic blues
Roll over Dave Dexter, and turn one album into two
Yes sir! The man was reverb obsessed…and I have to admit…I do enjoy listening to most of it…particularly the Second Album
sauce1958

Post by sauce1958 »

Bianju wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:38 am So, this is something I noticed on mvsep.com. It's an AI-based reverb removal and it's shocking how well it already works. As a test, this is what I suspect the original stereo mix of I Call Your Name sounded like before it was Dexterized. Full disclosure, the resulting track was SO dry that I actually added some Abbey Road-style reverb to prevent it from sounding totally wrong.

hXXps://we.tl/t-INHh7sgBJS
Would someone be able to re-up this and the Long Tall Sally mix? Thanks!!
Rickenbacker325

sauce1958 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:50 pm
Bianju wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:38 am So, this is something I noticed on mvsep.com. It's an AI-based reverb removal and it's shocking how well it already works. As a test, this is what I suspect the original stereo mix of I Call Your Name sounded like before it was Dexterized. Full disclosure, the resulting track was SO dry that I actually added some Abbey Road-style reverb to prevent it from sounding totally wrong.

hXXps://we.tl/t-INHh7sgBJS
Would someone be able to re-up this and the Long Tall Sally mix? Thanks!!
re-up

hxxps://we.tl/t-0dtm3WrxQe